Man did this HURT!!!!

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Man did this HURT!!!!

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:54 pm

So, I walking through this thing called The Artisan's Marketplace" a few blocks from my house. Bunch of people selling stuffs. When much to my surprise I come across a man selling vintage paperback.

I knew I shouldn't have stopped, but just needed to see what of uncle Harlan's I may find. Much to my chagrin, I find a MINT copy of Shatterday, worth almost 100 bucks. It was being sold for 21 dollars, and the guy selling it was willing to give it to me for 15.

I had to walk away from it, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to eat for the next few days if I bought it. I do try to avoid the soup kitchens of SF when I can. Just a pride thing.

There are a lot of things I've learned because of my station in life at the moment. The hardest one is that, to steal a phrase from the Stones, you can't always get what you want. There was a time when I could have bought the entire Ellison stash and not blinked an eye. Now I pinch pennies so hard that Abe is Screaming.

But, I do have to remember that I wouldn't have met my current Best Friend, who has taught me so much about life and the living thereof, Nor would I have ever found all you wonderful people.

If you've actually gotten this far, I want to thank you for all of the support you've given me in the few years I've been a member here. Even though it's just words on a screen, I know they have real people and emotion behind them.

Lori

reddragon70

Re: Man did this HURT!!!!

Postby reddragon70 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 am

You walked away? Oh man you have more reserves of self control than I could possibly muster. I would be hacking off vital organs to flog on the black market just so I could get the book. Hell I would rather starve then be without the book. I just know there is no way on earth I could have walked from such a great deal, even if I had to beg borrow or steal to get the money I would, somehow.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:08 am

I've been there. Oh, God, have I been there.

And it really stings.

Hang in there, Lori! May you break free of this situation soon.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:00 am

You have my utter and complete sympathy.

Also my utter and complete symphony.

Sadly, no instruments to play, due to budgets being what they are.

I. can. so. RELATE!
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:43 am

Lori Koonce wrote:I knew I shouldn't have stopped, but just needed to see what of uncle Harlan's I may find. Much to my chagrin, I find a MINT copy of Shatterday, worth almost 100 bucks. It was being sold for 21 dollars, and the guy selling it was willing to give it to me for 15.

I had to walk away from it, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to eat for the next few days if I bought it. I do try to avoid the soup kitchens of SF when I can. Just a pride thing.
although it would border on mercenary activity, i would have been tempted to buy as an investment. a two day fast isn't so bad.
as i understand it, after two weeks, hunger pains dissapate. but before embarking on such an endeavor, i suggest reading "a hunger artist" as forewarning.

then again, a cheeseburger and garlic fries would be nice too.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:01 pm

The girl has to eat at soup kitchens, Mike, don't make fun of her?

Hope all will be well soon dear.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:05 pm

cynic wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:I knew I shouldn't have stopped, but just needed to see what of uncle Harlan's I may find. Much to my chagrin, I find a MINT copy of Shatterday, worth almost 100 bucks. It was being sold for 21 dollars, and the guy selling it was willing to give it to me for 15.

although it would border on mercenary activity, i would have been tempted to buy as an investment. a two day fast isn't so bad.
as i understand it, after two weeks, hunger pains dissapate. but before embarking on such an endeavor, i suggest reading "a hunger artist" as forewarning.

then again, a cheeseburger and garlic fries would be nice too.

You're "looking" at a girl who fasted for 11 days just because I wanted to. So the hungry part wouldn't have been the problem. It's the self control and delayed gratification that I'm working on.

You reminded me of something that I still remember to this day. After that fast, someone offered to take me to my favorite Jewish Deli for lunch. Let me tell you, never break a fast of any length with a chopped chicken liver sandwich on rye. Can we say "major cramps at the worst times"? I knew you cuold! :lol:

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:07 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The girl has to eat at soup kitchens, Mike, don't make fun of her?

Hope all will be well soon dear.

Thanks for the defense Frank but it's not needed.

The Orignal post said that I didn't buy the book to AVOID the soup kitchens.

Mike got it right.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:12 pm

reddragon70 wrote:You walked away? Oh man you have more reserves of self control than I could possibly muster. I would be hacking off vital organs to flog on the black market just so I could get the book. Hell I would rather starve then be without the book. I just know there is no way on earth I could have walked from such a great deal, even if I had to beg borrow or steal to get the money I would, somehow.

21 bucks on a 100 dollar book is just as good a deal, and I figure if I really am meant to have it, it will be there when I can afford it. and if it isn't, then there is a better deal somewhere down the line.

I mean who knows, I could end up with a brand spanking new one from the HERC, ya never know.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:16 am

Lori Koonce wrote: ... and I figure if I really am meant to have it, it will be there when I can afford it. and if it isn't, then there is a better deal somewhere down the line.

I get that, utterly. I'm not the compleat hedonist, but I don't delay gratification much. (Careful. :oops: ) There are some things worth prolonging,(watch it :mrgreen: ) but when it's a "this may be my only chance" scenario, I've done the Ramen noodle buffet for a week before. Kat and I are in okay straits right now, but it comes and goes. I commend you on your willpower, and slap the back of your head for not buying it when you had the chance! Smooch!
Dichotomy rules!
The medium is the message.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 am

Lori, I applaud you for your self restraint. I have managed to avoid any major temptations by not going to bookstores or shopping places in person or online where I would be enticed to buy some stuff that I would lvoe but is not completely necessary right now. I will be interested in having an analysis on spending patterns 20-30 years from now to determine if people regressed back into their old spending habits once the financial crisis has passed or if there will be more of an era of frugality, similar to what happened in the 1940s and, to a lesser extent in the 1950s. My guesss: people will hold off on major purchases a lot longer than they used to and that we will see a trend away from the disposable culture that dominated the period from the 1970s until very recently
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 am

You're more disciplined than I could ever have been. I probably would have bought the thing and gone to a soup kitchen.

Hang in there though. Happy days are on their way.

swp

Postby swp » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:31 am

Lori Koonce wrote:
reddragon70 wrote:You walked away? Oh man you have more reserves of self control than I could possibly muster. I would be hacking off vital organs to flog on the black market just so I could get the book. Hell I would rather starve then be without the book. I just know there is no way on earth I could have walked from such a great deal, even if I had to beg borrow or steal to get the money I would, somehow.

21 bucks on a 100 dollar book is just as good a deal, and I figure if I really am meant to have it, it will be there when I can afford it. and if it isn't, then there is a better deal somewhere down the line.

I mean who knows, I could end up with a brand spanking new one from the HERC, ya never know.

ya see, that's the difference between men and women right there. I would have bought the book for $21 and then sold it for $80 as a "bargain" to someone else and pocketed the difference, thus avoiding the soup kitchen and putting some much needed dough-re-me in my own pocket. The book would still not be mine, but the possibility for the future would still be there.

Just my idle thoughts.

swp

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:12 pm

paul wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote: ... and I figure if I really am meant to have it, it will be there when I can afford it. and if it isn't, then there is a better deal somewhere down the line.

I get that, utterly. I'm not the compleat hedonist, but I don't delay gratification much. (Careful. :oops: ) There are some things worth prolonging,(watch it :mrgreen: ) but when it's a "this may be my only chance" scenario, I've done the Ramen noodle buffet for a week before. Kat and I are in okay straits right now, but it comes and goes. I commend you on your willpower, and slap the back of your head for not buying it when you had the chance! Smooch!
Dichotomy rules!

Ya know Paul, as much as I love Unca' Harlan, I also have a serious pride streak. If I can avoid looking like the poor person I am, then I will.

I figure that if He ever found out what was going on in my life, the man himself would understand and applaud.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:14 pm

markabaddon wrote:Lori, I applaud you for your self restraint. I have managed to avoid any major temptations by not going to bookstores or shopping places in person or online where I would be enticed to buy some stuff that I would lvoe but is not completely necessary right now. I will be interested in having an analysis on spending patterns 20-30 years from now to determine if people regressed back into their old spending habits once the financial crisis has passed or if there will be more of an era of frugality, similar to what happened in the 1940s and, to a lesser extent in the 1950s. My guesss: people will hold off on major purchases a lot longer than they used to and that we will see a trend away from the disposable culture that dominated the period from the 1970s until very recently

You are a prince amongst men Mark.

It's things like this that keep me coming back here, I always seem to get a pat on the back or some one making me laugh JUST when I need it most!

Love ya lots

Return to “General”