Politically Incorrect

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Kristian

Politically Incorrect

Postby Kristian » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:26 am

In an attempt to postpone the inevitable eventuality of my being tarred and feathered by the collective mob of an enraged forum populous, I've performed some searches in an effort to determine if this is a topic that has been covered before. Since I haven't found any other mention through my admittedly inept seach-fu, I only ask that you not beat me too severely if this has been covered before.

That said, is there a story behind Harlan having not yet been a panelist on Real Time with Bill Maher? I know he was on Bill's old show, Politically Incorrect, and I keep hoping that he'll pop up on Real Time, at some point. Are my hopes misplaced? Was there a disagreement somewhere that I'm not privy to? Some fascinating bit of huggermuggery that has eluded the clumsy gropes of my bungling searches?

Thanks!

FrankChurch

Re: Politically Incorrect

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Oh, goody, I get to answer this.

I take it you never read the essay he did called Terrorists, where Harlan compared Falwell and Robertson to Al Quaida. He talks about Maher a bit in that.

I also asked him about it, when the show PI was still on the air, so this was years ago. I guess Maher got mad at the fact that Harlan would cancel going on because he didn't like the discussion topics that were offered. Harlan has this thing where he doesn't like the fact that uninformed people spout off about every little thing. This was something about PI he didn't like. Or the fact that they would have on a tough subject and ask Carot Top to be one of the guests. He didn't like the way the show was going, so he stopped going on. Also, he didn't like the fact that Maher wasn't very friendly off stage.

Harlan also mentioned that he doesn't like discussing an issue that he is not completely informed on. He also didn't want to mention the World Trade Center bombing either, for his own reasons and this was all they were discussing at the time.

Either Maher didn't like the fact that Harlan wouldn't come on with topics he didn't fancy or that he didn't like it when Harlan went ballistic on the show talking about Communism. Whatever happened we will never know. Maher stopped calling and hasn't been on since.

Harlan also isn't keen on political discussion, the way I and others here are. He just finds most of it white noise. Different strokes.

Maher could just hate his guts..lol

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 pm

See, Harlan didn't play the game. You are supposed to do that in Hollyweird. Why do you think Harlan rarely does tv or movie scripts? It has nothing to do with lack of talent, obviously.

Kristian

Postby Kristian » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Ah, thanks for the info. I assumed it was something along those lines, and while I'd love to see Harlan on Real Time, I completely understand his motivation behind staying away from the show. I'll never understand what qualifies Celebrity X, be they actor, singer, rapper, dancer, or whatever to speak on issues they know little about, beyond whatever they managed to cram into their heads the night before the show.

Real Time does feature more journalists now, and political figures, but it is still plagued by the weak links of celebrity who-has who obviously don't really understand what they're talking about.

That said, their presence makes me miss Harlan's appearances even more, because he is a nice contrast to their ignorance. That, and it's fun watching him chew them alive.

On a related note, does anyone know if you can order copies of PI episodes? I doubt it, but it would certainly be nice to grab some copies of Harlan's various appearances.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm shocked that none of it is on youtube. You can find PI, just not the Harlan ones. Odd. I missed the one with Ron Silver. Odd, since I never missed the show..lol

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:22 am

Ever read The Glass Teat Frank? I think you'd get a kick out of it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Oddly, people keep stealing it from the library. It must be worth something on EBay or the like.

Return to “General”