THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Nason

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 pm

A word about presidential humor: outside of clearly scripted events like the National Press Club Dinner, it can be dangerous. Bob Dole is widely considered, even by his political opponents, to have a quick wit -- he can be genuinely funny, but it got him a reputation for being "cutting" and "mean." The self-deprecating wit of Adlai Stevenson led to accusations that he was weak; Lincoln's humor was criticized in his time as overly folksy and hokey. The Kennedys wisely kept their choicest barbs private: JFK and Bobby took delight in privately calling Johnson "Rufus T. Cornpone" and James Baldwin "Martin Luther Queen." Cell phones and political correctness would have made digital mincemeat of them.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Greenfield's a jerkoff.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:10 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Greenfield's a jerkoff.

Yet another ad hominem attack to add to the ever-growing pile.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 pm

Nason, this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQo-_dNHus

That's my utmost beef with the media--you are only allowed to "regurgitate conventional pieties." That's not free media, that's state television.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:00 pm

The stunning defeat of Eric Cantor in the Virginia GOP primary today by college professor and Tea Party challenger Dave Brat should be instructive to all those who say "politics is all about the money," "whoever has the most money wins," etc. Brat ran his campaign on $2,000 -- he couldn't afford TV ads -- against House Majority Leader Cantor's 2.5 million dollar war chest. And Brat defeated him by more than ten points.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Nason, this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZQo-_dNHus

I watched the clip. So Greenfield once said Chomsky's ideas were "whacko." NOW I know why you don't like Greenfield. He insulted your hero.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 pm

to all those who say "politics is all about the money

Many are already aware of that. We saw it in our last gubernatorial race here when Jerry Brown trounced millionaire, former ebay president Meg Whitman, and the money was all in her court. The point is, money more often than not has influenced the course of an election and, worse, KEEPS the lies and bullshit crony candidates in the races. However, I think the real issue with Koch brothers-size money - the way it produces the MOST damage - is in the long-run fueling of propaganda and spin.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Rob, the Koch brothers have just donated 25 million dollars to the NAACP. I dare you to tell them to take it back.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

I'll email them right now. They are such stalwarts! Oh, the GREAT things they do for the country!!!

The big picture, Robert. The BIG picture.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:50 pm

So how much money do you give to progressive causes, Rob?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Robert Nason wrote:The stunning defeat of Eric Cantor in the Virginia GOP primary today by college professor and Tea Party challenger Dave Brat should be instructive to all those who say "politics is all about the money," "whoever has the most money wins," etc. Brat ran his campaign on $2,000 -- he couldn't afford TV ads -- against House Majority Leader Cantor's 2.5 million dollar war chest. And Brat defeated him by more than ten points.

Yes a stunning defeat. Mainly for the Republican party on a national level. Ideology does trump money every time.

The show is always entertaining across the river. The vicious fight between the Tea Party and Republican establishment has been going on in Virginia for a while. The Repub establishment faction won the first round when they sat on their hands (and their pocketbooks) and threw Tea Party favorite Ken Cuccinelli to the wolves in last year's Virginia gubernatorial race. Now the Tea Party has returned the favor. Useful to remember however that the Va 7th district has been gerrymandered to hell and gone and the overall demographic in Va has been drifting towards the Democrats for years, especially since Obama's ascendance. The truth is that there is no Republican candidate that has any kind of reasonable chance of getting the nomination that can beat Hillary in the next election. So the Tea Party can laugh it up but they're essentially electing Hillary.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Yes, but the Republicans ignored the Tea Party in 2008 and 2012 by nominating McCain and then Romney, and wound up essentially electing Obama.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:28 pm

So how much money do you give to progressive causes, Rob?

10 million a year adjusted to inflation.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Not 10 million words -- I'm talking about dollars. :mrgreen:

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 pm

I'll get back to you on that one after I finish my tan on Malibu Beach.

Return to “General”