THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby robochrist » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Forget my last question. It sounds too sassy n'assy.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:07 pm

The way you solve a problem in America is to just rename it. Most of the homeless don't lack homes, they just lack apartments. So let's call them the apartmentless. Now we have to figure out a way to get them apartments.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:38 pm

The way you solve a problem in America is to just rename it. Most of the homeless don't lack homes, they just lack apartments. So let's call them the apartmentless. Now we have to figure out a way to get them apartments.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Oy! (And that's from a GOY!)

Robert, you don't know what you're talking about. In this format, it's ez to misjudge each other, but I do sense that you're out-of-touch on socio-economic issues (especially since 2008). It's the reason I asked my question. I won't drag it out, but it would be nice if you researched these subjects better.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 pm

For clarity, I'm referring to your notion that most "homeless" people are merely "apartmentless".

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:24 pm

And the left is always saying that conservatives are humorless!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:12 pm

I always admired Ronald Reagan's brand of absurdist humor. The fact he was entirely serious was the funniest part.

I saw GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL over the weekend. A wonderful movie!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I was rather impressed when I learned that when Reagan was shot and the doctors were about to operate on him, Reagan said "I hope you guys are Republicans." Can you cite anything funny Obama has said (unscripted) that was funny?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm sure the homeless wouldn't mind getting apartments. . .

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Most of them do wind up with an apartment...once they no longer have to live in their car or on the street or in a homeless shelter - AND assuming they ever get the money, the credit history, or a voucher. THAT'S "homeless".

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:15 am

Most homeless people get apartments?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 am

Robert Nason wrote:I was rather impressed when I learned that when Reagan was shot and the doctors were about to operate on him, Reagan said "I hope you guys are Republicans." Can you cite anything funny Obama has said (unscripted) that was funny?

You realize you're reaching back more than three decades to find a quote? Reagan did have a good sense of humor, I will grant.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:44 am

Barber wrote:
Robert Nason wrote:I was rather impressed when I learned that when Reagan was shot and the doctors were about to operate on him, Reagan said "I hope you guys are Republicans." Can you cite anything funny Obama has said (unscripted) that was funny?

You realize you're reaching back more than three decades to find a quote? Reagan did have a good sense of humor, I will grant.

True, but the way the question was phrased, I must point out that Reagan was an actor first. One could argue that he never said an "unscripted" line in his life. In fact, his biographer, Edward Morris, related that Reagan had a collection of stories he told and retold and re-retold and rarely changed anything. Morris thought he had fairly limited imagination and relied on preparation to appear as unscripted as he did.

However, I'm sure his radio moment of falsely declared armageddon was thoroughly unscripted---and he thought it was funny as hell.

But I don't collect humorous aphorisms from presidents. I do know Obama has held his own at the press dinners and on the campaign trail and has said some genuinely funny things. Scripted? Does it really matter if they're his?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Comedians themselves say Obama has great timing.

Reagan's jokes were all written by someone else. His politics too.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:31 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Comedians themselves say Obama has great timing.

Reagan's jokes were all written by someone else. His politics too.

To be brutally honest with ourselves, almost everyone's politics are written by someone else.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”