THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:04 pm

THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) is pretty much a soap opera but I'm a big fan of Clifton Webb and Anne Baxter is terrific as poor doomed Sophie. Wasn't she nominated or even win the Oscar for that role? And you're right. Tyrone Power could do that noble faraway gaze thing better than anybody.

Rick Keeney wrote:The film industry needs blockbusters in the same way the recording industry needs superstars. Plenty of Randy Newmans and BOTTLE ROCKETS have had successful runs due to the ridiculous numbers put up by the Sylvester Stallones and Bruce Springsteens. I make a godmillion bucks on this schmaltzy and HUGELY POPULAR album then I can finance some otherwise inscrutable artist.

The biggies ignore interstitial growth at their peril.

Back in the olden times a lot more movies got made. So the studies could take more chances and you're right, one biggie would cover for a lot of less successful (monetarily that is) movies. Now though with budgets so tight the studios want a sure thing and would rather aim one big movie at everybody rather than make five movies for individual audiences. So these days the blockbusters do tend to squeeze out more quirky projects. And we wind up with a lot of big movies that make a kazillion dollars and are totally forgotten five years later. What are the movies we remember from the old days?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:21 pm

Orson Welles used to say, late in his life, that he actually missed the days of the old studio system, flawed as it was, because every year they turned out so many movies that they could afford release an Orson Welles film for prestige. He said the old movie moguls were certainly monsters but at least they genuinely loved making movies; today's studios are run by agents, lawyers, accountants, and other beancounters who have no real passion for films at all.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:26 pm

The reboot frenzy attests to that sad ongoing reality.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) is pretty much a soap opera but I'm a big fan of Clifton Webb and Anne Baxter is terrific as poor doomed Sophie. Wasn't she nominated or even win the Oscar for that role? And you're right. Tyrone Power could do that noble faraway gaze thing better than anybody.

Rick Keeney wrote:The film industry needs blockbusters in the same way the recording industry needs superstars. Plenty of Randy Newmans and BOTTLE ROCKETS have had successful runs due to the ridiculous numbers put up by the Sylvester Stallones and Bruce Springsteens. I make a godmillion bucks on this schmaltzy and HUGELY POPULAR album then I can finance some otherwise inscrutable artist.

The biggies ignore interstitial growth at their peril.

Back in the olden times a lot more movies got made. So the studies could take more chances and you're right, one biggie would cover for a lot of less successful (monetarily that is) movies. Now though with budgets so tight the studios want a sure thing and would rather aim one big movie at everybody rather than make five movies for individual audiences. So these days the blockbusters do tend to squeeze out more quirky projects. And we wind up with a lot of big movies that make a kazillion dollars and are totally forgotten five years later. What are the movies we remember from the old days?

Still cool films like this creep in under the wire and away from our attention:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joe-2014

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:50 am

Check out the last paragraph of THE RAZOR'S EDGE and tell me it is not magnificent:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tMZZRj ... =html_text
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 am

Robert Nason wrote:Check out the last paragraph of THE RAZOR'S EDGE and tell me it is not magnificent:

http://books.google.com/books?id=tMZZRj ... =html_text

SPOIL-ERRRRS!!!

Just kidding. That is pretty great. I was trying to think of other great endings to books. THE GREAT GATSBY is a famous one. And GREAT EXPECTATIONS. Which Raymond Chandler novel was it that ended "I never saw any of them again except for the Cops. Nobody has ever figured out a way to say goodbye to them."
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 am

There's even more of a studio system now, it is controlled by brain dead and mind melted bean counters.

Comic book movies prove this.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:40 am

I still say Thumper killed Bambi.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 am

''I never saw any of them again — except the cops. No way has yet been invented to say goodbye to them.''
-last line of THE LONG GOODBYE

which just goes to show you should do your research before you post. :D :oops:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

I don't get it. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm

FrankChurch wrote:There's even more of a studio system now, it is controlled by brain dead and mind melted bean counters.

Comic book movies prove this.

True, but some really good films are being made and released in between.

Have any of you seen THE HUNGER GAMES or its sequel? Far better than I had expected in this TWILIGHT teenage angst marketplace.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 pm

The ending of THE LONG GOODBYE (both the book and movie) is great, but so is the ending of THE BIG SLEEP (both the book and movie).

I always find that there are more superb movies each year (usually under the radar) than I have time (or energy) to see -- not to mention the near-infinite riches of the movie past. So many treasures in just 110 years!

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:45 am

Good to see a woman play so well

:roll:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

No, no, I meant women don't get their props musically. I am complimenting her. For years men have said that there are no great woman guitar players. I am defending women.

PC police---weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:08 pm

You were at least treading water until you said:

FrankChurch wrote:For years men have said that there are no great woman guitar players.

That stated, I think you know exactly what you said.

Return to “General”