THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Nason

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Robert Nason » Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Mark -- THAT'S what I was thinking of!
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 29, 2014 12:25 pm

I've no doubt that Writers of the Future is a good thing, but this reeks of overkill. No?

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/05/prweb11878977.htm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Barber, you back home?

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:I've no doubt that Writers of the Future is a good thing, but this reeks of overkill. No?

Well, if you're one of the winning writers who gets the award money and whose work sees publication, you probably don't see it as overkill.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Goes without saying. That's a shit-ton of fanfare.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 29, 2014 1:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, you back home?

Yes, for the moment. Head to San Diego next week.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 29, 2014 2:27 pm

John Ritter, too.

Robin Williams is probably the finest example we could come up with. His training vis-a-vis his anarchy has unique twists because he studied originally as a dramatic actor, then became a stand-up, then a comic actor who was always on the ready to deliver a kick-ass dramatic performance.

Yet, he's an interesting case as a dramatic actor, because he is, in turn, weighted down by his comedic image where it's always "Robin Williams". He can't - by an evidence - shed his personna to play an Al Bundy or a Ted Baxter or an Archie Bunker.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Thu May 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Apropos our discussion, here's a piece by Patton Oswalt on five comedians who should be dramatic.actors:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1167 ... tic-actors

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Robert Nason wrote:
Rick Keeney wrote:I've no doubt that Writers of the Future is a good thing, but this reeks of overkill. No?

Well, if you're one of the winning writers who gets the award money and whose work sees publication, you probably don't see it as overkill.

My problem is that I immediately suspect anything associated with Hubbard. Not the selected writer's fault of course. I know nothing about any of the folks on their list of successful "graduates" of the program. Are these writers truly famous in the field? Anybody know any of them?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu May 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Robin Williams was a very creepy, yet pathetic character in One Hour Photo. He also played an embittered ex-psychiatrist (lost his certification because he had sex with some of his clients) in Dead Again. His character was a different kind of creep. He also didn't want his name on the credits at that time because he was concerned people would see his name and think it was a comedy. And then there's Insomnia, where he played a serial killer.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Yep. And he was great in all 3!

INSOMNIA had an odd effect on me. I liked it a lot when I first ran it, MOSTLY because of Williams and Pacino. They were so good together that it took me 3 viewings to realize the movie itself had a couple of really bad plot holes (can any of you guess the big one?). My point, I overrated the film because its 2 stars stand out so well. I still enjoy the movie, but only when either or both are on screen.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:
Robert Nason wrote:

My problem is that I immediately suspect anything associated with Hubbard. Not the selected writer's fault of course. I know nothing about any of the folks on their list of successful "graduates" of the program. Are these writers truly famous in the field? Anybody know any of them?

Jay Lake and Patrick Rothfuss

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 29, 2014 10:12 pm

robochrist wrote:Yep. And he was great in all 3!

INSOMNIA had an odd effect on me. I liked it a lot when I first ran it, MOSTLY because of Williams and Pacino. They were so good together that it took me 3 viewings to realize the movie itself had a couple of really bad plot holes (can any of you guess the big one?). My point, I overrated the film because its 2 stars stand out so well. I still enjoy the movie, but only when either or both are on screen.

Have you seen the original Swedish version? Much darker, much more intense, much more sophisticated. What a shock.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bill Murray who has turned into a fine actor.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 29, 2014 10:26 pm

No, I'd always intended to but never got around to renting.

And I agree about Bill Murray. I've always been a big fan of his.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Thu May 29, 2014 10:36 pm

I was going to mention Bill Murray, but I keep remembering him in that, dreadful, dreadful remake of THE RAZOR'S.EDGE. You don't hear anyone talking about THAT film lately.

Return to “General”