THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:40 am

You don't have red ants either, but I do hear you have bed bugs. At least you have that.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 am

The gentrification of downtown LA, you approve, Barber?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:57 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The gentrification of downtown LA, you approve, Barber?

That's an odd question. A good one, but kind of out of the blue.

The answer is yes: downtown LA is slowly gentrifying and it's proving to be a good thing for the neighborhoods surrounding downtown. (The core is a bunch of tall buildings and high end hotels and restaurants. Reasonably safe.) There is a section of the downtown area, just east of Broadway, which was in very sad disrepair and a pretty dangerous neighborhood all around. It's slowly improving from the north (Little Tokyo) down to the south (the hood).

Years ago I was at an appointment in this area that dragged into the late hours after dark. We were waiting on the phone company to arrive to do some work. We got a distressed call from the driver telling us to wait for him by the gate...he was being tailed by a black mercedes. When he called we opened the gate. The phone company truck bottomed out as he roared into the parking area. The Mercedes sped past, obviously not willing to pull in.

Two hours later when we left it was single file, through all signals (red or green) directly to the freeway.

Yes. Gentrification is a good thing.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:45 pm

I knew you'd say that. :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:10 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I knew you'd say that. :lol:

You prefer slums and the hood?

:shock:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:14 pm

It seems that everyone here knows what everyone else is going to say before they say it.

(You knew I'd say that, didn't you? :lol: )
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 am

LA needs to look towards Canada or Norway if they want good ideas about changing poor neighborhoods. Just kicking the dregs out is not a good thing.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote:LA needs to look towards Canada or Norway if they want good ideas about changing poor neighborhoods. Just kicking the dregs out is not a good thing.

Then you misunderstand the nature of what is being done in L.A. There are quite a few mitigating projects with every new development. The problem is not simply being kicked into a different part of the city == that would be pointless.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:LA needs to look towards Canada or Norway if they want good ideas about changing poor neighborhoods. Just kicking the dregs out is not a good thing.

I'd love to know what we did about our poor neighbourhoods. They still pretty awful to me. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Steve Evil wrote:

I'd love to know what we did about our poor neighbourhoods. They still pretty awful to me. . .

Not sure about the rest of Canada, but in Vancouver they changed Gastown by...um..."gentrifying" it.

Oops.
:oops:

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:11 pm

It does tend to raise rents which fazes out poor people living there. The central point.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:13 pm

FrankChurch wrote:It does tend to raise rents which fazes out poor people living there. The central point.

Yes but don't confuse cause and effect. It's not a conspiracy. It's just what happens when people with a certain amount of wherewithal move into a depressed area. We're having the same thing here with what's called the U Street "corridor". What adds controversy is that this is a historically black neighborhood (think the Howard Theater, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong). But after the famous riots it looked like Berlin after WWII. For decades. Then, in search of lower rents themselves (this is a ridiculously expensive place to live) young couples started moving in, property values went up, etc etc. But before it was scary. Now it's a place where people are out on the street at all hours. The Howard Theater has even been restored and has a full concert schedule.

Like Barber said, attempts are made to create affordable housing, and I'm sure these attempts won't solve the problem. But the answer can't be to go back to the way the place used to be.

Over in the Pavilion Robert wrote

Ezra writes, "Which will still be being read fifty years from now (assuming anyone reads anything fifty years from now)? The Hulk? Really?" As a matter of fact, reprints of THE HULK from fifty years ago, in all kinds of deluxe or paperback editions, are more now more widely available more read, more discussed by scholars, than many of the "literary" writers of the time whose works dominated the front pages of all the book reviews at the time but have sunk into oblivion. Do many people read SHIP OF FOOLS these days? Are John ax O'Hara's postwar novels (and there were many) exciting either critics or readers lately? Vance Bourjaily? Calder Willingham? C. P. Snow's novels? You're far more likely to find omnibus editions of 1960s and 70s HULKS in your local bookstore than any of the books by those once highly-touted luminaries. (I except O'Hara's brilliant novels and stories from the 1930s like APPOINTMENT IN SAMARA). I'm not making any value-judgment here, just pointing out that posterity may well cherish works that we don't take seriously today. (Though I dread the thought of THE COLLECTED TWEETS OF JUSTIN BIEBER becoming required reading in 2064.)

Well...there's a reason for that. Most popular culture now consists of the Baby Boomers having their childhoods sold back to them. When the Boomers finally depart this world a whole lot of cultural detritus will slide into the nearest land fill with them. And some of that will involve big guys with green skin and pointy eared Vulcans. Sorry about that.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 am

Nason should support the Bieber book if he believes in a free market. If consumer choice dictates that someone buy pet rocks that's the market at work.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Nason should support the Bieber book if he believes in a free market. If consumer choice dictates that someone buy pet rocks that's the market at work.

The Free Market also dictates Robert can decry the book if he wants to. I haven't, and never intend to, read Mein Kampf. It's a reprehensible book. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be published as an article of history.

Return to “General”