THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm

You mean the dreaded subject. I dealt with the subject Barber brought up but didn't like the answer so he thought I never responded--meaning, I didn't respond in the way he wanted me to.

-----------

On another subject, you never told us you were in Cali, Mark.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Gang

Just a small suggestion. As we are all aware of, there is only one useful purpose that people like Frank serve.

They help us to keep our own ability to discuss and debate well honed. Sure it can be annoying as hell at times, but it is useful. We just need to treat him like we would a know it all teenager. Try to get through, but realize you most likely won't.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Sure I did. Lori even suggested if we were in SF we should look her up. We weren't, so we didn't.

But the first gallery of images from the trip is up: http://markimages.zenfolio.com/p273913843

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You mean the dreaded subject. I dealt with the subject Barber brought up but didn't like the answer so he thought I never responded--meaning, I didn't respond in the way he wanted me to.

No, you didn't deal with it. At all. You pointedly ignored anyone else's points and simply repeated yourself ad nauseum, at times contradicting your own self in reiterating your positions. You never said anything beyond repeating your statements. THAT is my point, and the point others are making and you're ignoring.

There was never anything remotely resembling critical analyses or considered explanations of how your position would better the artist, nor any documentation of why it would be moral to forcibly take property from someone. As Mark and others have noted, you've got a serious history of ignoring direct posts and questions which disagree with your point of view.

Not debating that topic, but it's your style of posting with the lack of substance which has what has gotten you into trouble here and on the Pav.

FrankChurch wrote: On another subject, you never told us you were in Cali, Mark.

Yes he did. Several of us even made comments in response.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm

I have said that the law went way beyond its original intentions, so it became a corporate planned monopoly for big media types. The law does not help smaller artists, only in small ways, unlike subsidy, which could go right to the artist, no middle man.

As long as the law is redone so it is limited, I am for it. Count me in. 25 years of protection for big media, 50 for smaller artists. The only police protection would be against big time pirates. Little downloaders would be left alone. This is my stance.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I have said that the law went way beyond its original intentions, so it became a corporate planned monopoly for big media types. The law does not help smaller artists, only in small ways, unlike subsidy, which could go right to the artist, no middle man.

As long as the law is redone so it is limited, I am for it. Count me in. 25 years of protection for big media, 50 for smaller artists. The only police protection would be against big time pirates. Little downloaders would be left alone. This is my stance.

OK Frank, here's another question for you to answer. Why shouldn't my family be able to have the rights to my work once I am dead? If I were a plumber or another type of physical worker, I'd be able to put things aside for them. Why should creative work be any different?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39 pm

Wait, wait, wait. No.

Now you're arguing the copyright debate itself -- just as was worried about by others. I said that is not the topic at hand. In this thread.

This thread: why is it you do not support, substantiate or make your own arguments?

Just as on another thread you did not make the argument, this very evening, you simply loaded a link to a PBS column. Am I debating you, or PBS? If it's PBS I will go to their site and make my argument. Here, it's you or nothing. Make your argument and back it up with links, but if you don't do the debating yourself, well...that's laziness.

And intellectual cheating.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 am

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am

Barber, I thought you were asking for a source?

Lori, you can leave your money to anybody you choose.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:29 am

The royal baby tells us all about our society then we even needed to know. It tells us that our lives are pretty damned bare. We have nothing to look towards, so we glance across the pond and gaze with gills greased at the upper class in white bred solace. We grin like dummies while Rome burns, but we think it's a cool backyard cook out.

We are at the stake. Maybe King George did win.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, I thought you were asking for a source?

Lori, you can leave your money to anybody you choose.

I have a response to this Frank but I'm putting it in the copyright thread where it belongs.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:52 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I have a response to this Frank but I'm putting it in the copyright thread where it belongs.

Merci! 8)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:57 am

Maybe I'll root for the Dodgers. My other teams are just not there yet.

The Dodgers comeback is quite something. You Angelinos really have it made lately.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Maybe I'll root for the Dodgers. My other teams are just not there yet.

The Dodgers comeback is quite something. You Angelinos really have it made lately.

I'm headed for a game Friday night. Ask me about this Saturday morning, if I'm not hung over.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Why would you be hung over? Don't drink and drive fucker.

:)

Return to “General”