THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Lori, I understand.

You will be fine.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Lori,

If I may, a few observations based on signing lines over the years that may be of use:

1) DO introduce yourself, and mention you're a Webderlander; on multiple occasions, he's expressed after-the-fact bewilderment when people he's interacted with here come through a line and never actually tell him who they are.

2) Breathe and be yourself. We all like Lori. No reason Harlan won't like Lori. And given an opening, he'll do most of the talking.

3) Relax. I know, he's HARLAN ELLISON!!! But he's also Harlan Ellison, the skinny kid from Painesville who has had a great life doing what he wanted to do.

4) I say he doesn't suffer fools gladly, but 'fools' are typically defined as people who show up to be a smart ass, to provoke a response, or to try getting in a sly dig. You're none of these. You're not the fandom of XENOGENESIS. You're the fandom for whom he puts in the effort.

5) Enjoy the opportunity. His line can be a lot of fun. You can learn a lot just listening to his interactions with the three people in front of you.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Lori, I'm planning on attending the event also. Hollywood is about 20 minutes from my house, so anything I can do to help make your trip easier would be my pleasure. I checked just a moment ago with my once in the past girlfriend / now roommate / always best friend Monica and she would be delighted to host you here at our house in Burbank in any way. If you're driving, you could park here for free, you could stay overnight if needed, no problem. Pick you up from the airport, no problem. We could drive to the event together, etc.

NO pressure hon, I just wanted you to know that you are welcome if it would improve your trip or make it easier in any way.

Tim

p.s. I think fast talking gigglers are charming! And I promise not to hit on you....:)

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Lori,

Just don't "fangirl" it and you'll be fine. Harlan does not bite (affectionate nibbles possibly, but never bites). I would also second Doug's recommendation on mentioning the Webderland connection. Relax. Breathe. Be yourself. Remember he's just a human being like the rest of us.

Cheers and good luck!

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:25 am

As usual, my timing is off again. I won't be at The Event, but I will be in California...tomorrow. Donna and I are attending the Westercon 66 convention in Sacramento this weekend, then tooling about the northern part of the state. If we could have afforded another five days, we might have made it down to LA. Damn.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:42 am

Lori, just be personable. You aren't shy, so that's no problem. I've heard Harlan loathes shyness.

Mention Barber really digs you; Harlan is aces with Barber.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Tim Raven wrote:Lori, I'm planning on attending the event also. Hollywood is about 20 minutes from my house, so anything I can do to help make your trip easier would be my pleasure. I checked just a moment ago with my once in the past girlfriend / now roommate / always best friend Monica and she would be delighted to host you here at our house in Burbank in any way. If you're driving, you could park here for free, you could stay overnight if needed, no problem. Pick you up from the airport, no problem. We could drive to the event together, etc.

NO pressure hon, I just wanted you to know that you are welcome if it would improve your trip or make it easier in any way.

Tim

p.s. I think fast talking gigglers are charming! And I promise not to hit on you....:)

Please thank Monica for her hospitality. But, it's one of those get there early leave late things. I may need your help getting to the Greyhound station that evening, but other than that and a possible partner in crime while waiting to go to then bus station, I cannot think of a good reason to bother you and your good lady.

You have the advantage, my avatar looks like a bit more pudgy version of myself. So, not only do I expect you to come and introduce yourself, but on then off chance we hit it off, you can hit on me as much as ya feel necessary. It's good for ones ego to know that someone finds you attractive enough to do that.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:As usual, my timing is off again. I won't be at The Event, but I will be in California...tomorrow. Donna and I are attending the Westercon 66 convention in Sacramento this weekend, then tooling about the northern part of the state. If we could have afforded another five days, we might have made it down to LA. Damn.

If you and Donna find yourselves in or near SF that weekend, I'd love to have a coffee chat with ya.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:24 am

My Reds whipped yo Giants girl.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am

So, Heinlein was right wing?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:14 pm

FrankChurch wrote:So, Heinlein was right wing?

That depends. If all you read is Starship Trooper you would be correct in thinking so. But, if all you read is Stranger in a Strange Land, you'd end up thinking just the opposite. Like most people his a grand mixture.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:24 pm

FrankChurch wrote:So, Heinlein was right wing?

Uh yes?

Actually the answer is a bit more complex than that. He was more of an old school libertarian with a militaristic twist. His personal politics are most evident in "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Time Enough for Love", and "The Number of the Beast". "Starship Troopers" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" take his views a bit to the extreme but also showcase them a bit. I think the best insight can be gained from "For Us, The Living: A Comedy of Customs" as it is one of his earliest works and really seems to be a jumping off point for his later work.

In reality, I think that he really was an "Eisenhower" Republican with very liberal social views. Definitely not an Orson Scott Card type by any means.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:12 pm

I do have a collection of his non-fiction articles here - "The Past Through Tomorrow" I think they're called. It does appear that his views evolved somewhat over the years, though it's been a very long time since I read them. I mean, he never went liberal, but he did seem to grow more alarmed by the prospect of nuclear war. He was an ex-soldier who supported a strong military, a hard-line against the Soviets, staying-the-course in Vietnam and self reliance, but also supported women's rights and didn't seem to have much time for preachers.

("The Roads must Roll" was an obvious anti-union screed. An exciting read though. . .)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 pm

He sounds like a preacher to me.

Strong with communism usually meant having the stones to kill women and children who waved red sheets. Red with their blood.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:00 pm

FrankChurch wrote:He sounds like a preacher to me.

Strong with communism usually meant having the stones to kill women and children who waved red sheets. Red with their blood.

I sweardagawd, sometimes your comments make my brain hurt.

Where in any of our commentary did you get the impression that he was anything resembling a preacher? Here's Bob speaking through Lazarus Long:

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent — it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks, please. Cash and in small bills."

"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it."

"History has the relation to truth that theology has to religion — i.e., none to speak of."

Many of his characters speak in a similar tones with regard to religion. One could imply that he was an atheist (or at the very least, a hardcore agnostic). In at least one interview he seemed to indicate he was a fan of Ayn Rand's "philosophy" which would also point to an atheistic approach.

As far as your second point goes. What. The. Fuck. Are. You. Talking. About?
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Return to “General”