THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 pm

No rats, Frank. I think they prefer the main part of the dump. I've seen rabbits, I've seen deer, eagles and hawks, raccoons, feral cats, but no rats. Then again, with the plentitude of predators out there, including coyotes and foxes as well as the aforementioned critters, they probably help keep the rat population down to reasonable levels. Being next to a wildlife refuge has its benefits.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:40 am

I had a rat run after me once. I ran in abject horror. Have had crabs as well. Harlan conjured some bad memories. Gave me a good laugh as well.

The once thing Harlan and the Klan had in common--dirty sheets.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Jan, good screed on the pav. Ezra may go after ya.

Michael Haydon was on Face The Nation and said that the 4th Amendment does not apply to overseas because it is not a treaty. But it is part of private property rights, which delves into another subject I'm not allowed to mention here...lol

Michael Gerson, a former Bush speech writer was also on. His take: Germany is a hotbed of Islamic extremism! Yes, our allies will love this new tact--spy on your friends but please, spying on us is the ultimate crime. Grimey.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Jan, good screed on the pav. Ezra may go after ya.

Frank I'm sure this was a deeply meaningful comment but you're going to have to help me to know what it is you're talking about.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm

My mother made a sane decision: She is moving to Utah. Laugh all you want, it is better than Phoenix, land of fire and heat.

My prayers to the noble Fire Fighters, true heros, unlike all the false heros we create.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

We have had rain here everyday for about six days. What kind of fucking summer is this?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:My mother made a sane decision: She is moving to Utah. Laugh all you want, it is better than Phoenix, land of fire and heat.

My prayers to the noble Fire Fighters, true heros, unlike all the false heros we create.

No laughter at all. I spent a few days in Provo, and one night each in several other areas. It's a beautiful if relatively repressive state.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:49 am

Provo has one of those re-education schools for people who get bad grades, have nose rings, listen to metal, et al.

A good citizen is somewhat like a good nazi.

An informed citizen, love on a stick.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Utah can be quite a culture shock. We have a facility in Ogden and I go out there sometimes. You're right. It's a beautiful place, great to visit. But I doubt I could live there. Too much like Georgia where I'm from. On the other hand we've had folks come from there to work here in DC and it often freaks them out completely. I remember one young lady telling us about her weekend and breathlessly describing her encounter with two men holding hands! I could laugh but the truth is most of my family would react the same way.

I think the Red/Blue State thing is way oversimplified but there is a sense in which we really do live in two countries. Easy not to notice until you pass from one to the other.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

And now for something completely different.....

Have any of you met and idol? I mean someone who you give credit to for the best parts of yourself?

In ten more days I'm heading to LA to do just that. And I,m scared almost shitless over it. I've only met one other author I admire this much and if my Vance wasn't there it may not have happened. He can't be there for this and I'm soooo worried that I'm gonna do something so fucking stupid that I won't be able to live it down.

Hopefully just admitting this to you all keeps me from the worst of it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Lori, I can assure you you're safe. Should you gravitate towards "something so fucking stupid that I won't be able to live it down" we will have trained squads to take you down and prevent any embarrassment.

Harlan is actually a really good person and despite the reputation, immensely forgiving. I won't be responsible for any blood-pressure blowouts or other physical explosions.

:wink:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Lori,

I sympathize. Even at my age, there's a handful of people in whose presence I feel I'd just turn into a preverbal mass of misfiring synapses. I kinda do that with Harlan, which is absurd, but as Steve says, he is very tolerant of people. You really have to go out of your way to get the kind of reaction you seem to be worrying about. Way out of your way. Lesser Magellanic Cloud out of the way.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Barber wrote:Lori, I can assure you you're safe. Should you gravitate towards "something so fucking stupid that I won't be able to live it down" we will have trained squads to take you down and prevent any embarrassment.

Harlan is actually a really good person and despite the reputation, immensely forgiving. I won't be responsible for any blood-pressure blowouts or other physical explosions.

:wink:

I have two things that can.be annoying that always happen when I get really nervous. I giggle a lot and tend to talk a mile s minute. Sometimes both in the same breath. Not a good way to use what is most likely my only chance to make a decent impression.if ya ask me.

I've heard nothing but good things about how Harlan treats his fans when they appear nervous, that's not the problem. I AM the problem, so to speak. Vance kept me from acting the fool when I met Amastad Maupin. He can't be here for this one. That just about doubles my chance for a fuck up of some sort.

I'm sure I'm swearing bullets over nothing, but still....

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Lucky, lucky, lucky you. I think you'll do fine, Lori. Just make sure to enjoy this time as much as possible.

Lucky you.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:Lucky, lucky, lucky you. I think you'll do fine, Lori. Just make sure to enjoy this time as much as possible.

Lucky you.

Chuck

I know I'm being silly Chuck, just cannot help it. I promise fuck up or not, I'll let ya know all about it once it's over.

Return to “General”