THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed May 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Ezra, put your money where your mouth is, buy something of Mark's?

Poor Frank always a day late and a dollar short. I am the proud owner of Mark's novel COMPASS REACH which I recently secured from Amazon (Mark that will explain the royalty check for 14 cents you received :D ). I have a small bookcase built by my grandfather who was a carpenter and a furniture maker (and a Baptist minister). It has found its function as my "to be read" shelf and sits at the foot of my bed. CR is perched majestically between a Dickens novel and a Clifford Simak novel on the top shelf. Right now I'm in the middle of managing a test and conducting training classes for some newbies (the first we've had in a while) and so my pleasure reading is done in twenty minute bursts. I want to save Mark's novel for later in the summer when I am free to practice total immersion again. Looking forward to it!

I very much appreciate that, but I won't be getting that .14 cents as the publisher is long out of business. No matter---it really does matter that people are still acquiring the books and, better yet, reading them.

But to Frank's no doubt well-intentioned challenge, I would appreciate the business certainly, but in no way would enjoy a snark fest over who does or does not buy something of mine.

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Speaking of Harlan's treehouse on Bushrod, I was in the Bel Air neighborhood once during my census days, and I saw the street. Within about a hundred yards, it peters out into a fire road, which then dead ends over a drop-off down into a canyon. The only place where a tree house could have been is about fifty feet over said drop off. So glad our man Harlan wasn't there at the time.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 10, 2012 7:51 am

I take it they didn't allow blacks to do the census in those parts?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 10, 2012 10:28 am

Mark, You'll appreciate this.

Years ago my father wrote a book with Stephen Ambrose (shaddup, Frank) (http://books.google.com/books/about/The_military_and_American_society.html?id=TQFDAAAAIAAJ).

Upon Ambrose's death a few years ago, some copies from the original publisher were found in a back room storage (or so the story goes) and sold through channels.

Dad was quite surprised and pleased to get a check for $3.68, and promptly added a half gallon of Butter Brickle ice cream to my mother's shopping list. Breyer's, of course.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 am

Butter brickle? That's my favorite ice cream. I can't find it here. Maybe because it is a western thang. Ambrose, not so much.

Barber, I could have really capped on him. Love me!! Runz.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu May 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Barber wrote:Mark, You'll appreciate this.

Years ago my father wrote a book with Stephen Ambrose (shaddup, Frank) (http://books.google.com/books/about/The_military_and_American_society.html?id=TQFDAAAAIAAJ).

Upon Ambrose's death a few years ago, some copies from the original publisher were found in a back room storage (or so the story goes) and sold through channels.

Dad was quite surprised and pleased to get a check for $3.68, and promptly added a half gallon of Butter Brickle ice cream to my mother's shopping list. Breyer's, of course.

LOL!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Mark!

You're laughing WAY too LOUD!

Keep it down, huh?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 11, 2012 7:18 am

At least when he laughs he doesn't spit on the cheese danish.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 12, 2012 5:26 pm

I am here. JP Morgan lost 2 billion dollars. How do you lose 2 billion? Are they stupid?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat May 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Diane:
Lincoln had a wonderful term for the kind of people at J.P. Morgan: Clever fools.

We do seem to have a surplus of clever fools these days. Or maybe someone simply let them off their leash. Probably some other clever fools.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Chuck, that would have been Reagan, Bush and Bush.

It sucks.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 pm

JP Morgan. It had something to do with Jamie Diamon. He did the same thing back in the days of Bear Sterns. How can you tell if Diamon has been fucking with your bank? check to see if the tarp to your yacht is missing.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 am

Break the fucking banks down! Then, break the corporations down--start pulling charters! Yippeee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Over at the Pavillion Frank wrote

Obviously Raven will be on a very short leash--he understands this. Will be interesting to see what he says.

-------------

Lori, you are my girl, but you have said similar things to me that are similar to Ravenism. I have said things, taken in bad faith, sometimes I make a bad attempt at humour. Best that we see what happens. Remember, the leash?

My intention was to remain silent but this is such bullshit that I can't help it. Frank you cut and paste a single statement that Lori has made that even comes close to Tim's response to me. Have you even considered that maybe you should stay out of it altogether? Don't be one of those people who thinks everyone needs to know your opinion about everything. I used to have a touch of that disease myself and I wised up. Sometimes the height of wisdom is to simply shut up and let it be.

The Pavilion is well moderated. HE has explained his position and made his wishes known. Lori gave her opinion (which I share by the way). Let's you and me stay out of it. Deal?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 14, 2012 2:05 pm

Ezra

Thanks for having my back, but in this instance I don't think it's necessary.

I've admitted else where that Raven and I are a like in a way I'm ashamed of. We both are good at manipulation. The only thing is I realized what I was loosing and he hasn't quite yet.

As I said else where, if confronted I will speak for myself, if chastised I will accept it with all the grace I can muster.

Frank's comments have become water off a ducks back for me most the time. You and I know what they are, and should deal with them in the manner they deserve. Which IMO is not at all.

Return to “General”