THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 pm

They need to make this guy our spokesman at those protests. Some Union needs to hire this guy.

Keep Code Pink from the dais.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 pm

A while back I was seeing women with casts on their right legs. Now it's right hands wrapped in bandages. What the hell?

It occurs that maybe I don't really want to know. If the answer is "it's secret woman sh*t" then let me know and I'll let it go. I remember the poor bastard at the end of Tom Tryon's HARVEST HOME. :shock:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

paul

Postby paul » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Barber, the shutting down Tevatron does not, unfortunately, surprise me. I've been mad at every administration in my lifetime that more money isn't spent on science/education.
You guys saw this one, yeah?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... 91704.html

I don't care what they say about those pasty, overweight, hyper-sensitive, little anti-social bags of depression living in their parents basement when they're not being surly about putting the gallon of milk in the bag on top of the eggs- this time, they just did good, man.

No egos were harmed in the making of this post. Any relation to anyone blahblahblah...
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:40 pm

A great day to be an American. Now I know what real patriotism is--giving moneybags the finger.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:48 pm

And 666 topix. Gosh what a time to be alive!
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

paul

Postby paul » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:53 pm

NeonMosfet wrote:And 666 topix. Gosh what a time to be alive!

:lol:
The medium is the message.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Get behind me Satan.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 pm

. . .and wait your turn!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 pm

America has gone way to the left. So wonderous.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Fuck Frank

What world do you live in again? Unemployment is at a nationwide high point, the middle class is all but destroyed, Americans are loosing international clout at a rapid rate, we cannot educate our kids.. And this is a blessing? From the left?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:41 am

Lori, you sure do read things into me that are never there.

Chill gal, the party is here. The pain is also here and I am in the very heart of it--if you only knew.

We don't need music. Dance with me!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:15 pm

The media is going after the police overtime charges looking after the activists. I'm fearful, this could work.

You know how people are when it comes to services. New York could cut other services because of the police costs. This could be politically costly for us.

A good reason to dismantle our police state.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 pm

The whole thing about Occupy Wall Street begs one simple question. What happened to the right to protest? What happened to the right to stand up and say "This is wrong". In other words, how the fuck did America allow itself to lose sight of its own constitution?

Dont get me wrong, if someone is violent then they should be arrested. Fine, not got a problem with that. But peaceful, maybe a bit noisey, but not causing any actual damage? No way these guys should be harrassed and brutalised by the police. After all, the police are meant to be there to protect us, the public, from the scum criminal element of this world. Not turn us into victims of a political and commercial violence.

I am sorry to say that I used to believe that most police officers were just every day working guys like me. Nowadays, in my 40s, I am starting to wonder. There seems to be an increasing number, not just in the US, who enjoy their power just a little too much.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 pm

reddragon70 wrote:The whole thing about Occupy Wall Street begs one simple question. What happened to the right to protest? What happened to the right to stand up and say "This is wrong". In other words, how the fuck did America allow itself to lose sight of its own constitution?

Dont get me wrong, if someone is violent then they should be arrested. Fine, not got a problem with that. But peaceful, maybe a bit noisey, but not causing any actual damage? No way these guys should be harrassed and brutalised by the police. After all, the police are meant to be there to protect us, the public, from the scum criminal element of this world. Not turn us into victims of a political and commercial violence.

I am sorry to say that I used to believe that most police officers were just every day working guys like me. Nowadays, in my 40s, I am starting to wonder. There seems to be an increasing number, not just in the US, who enjoy their power just a little too much.

The history of public protest has never been any different in this country. People get motivated, find the System unresponsive, go to the streets, the Established Order spits vitriol and sends cops to remove them. EVERY TIME. There was a short period in the Seventies when it seemed to change, to become more accepted, but I think that was just a time of intense enervation after all the heady stuff the decade before. After Ronnie was annointed, it went back to what it was.

But go back and look at the Civil Rights marches, the Union organizing protests, the antiwar demonstrations before and during WWI, the women's suffrage marches, the Temperance marches---with few exceptions, these were all met with police and sometimes military resistance. IT HAS NEVER BEEN ANY DIFFERENT.

And cops, I'm sorry to say, are just like ordinary people---only with guns and a license to be a bully. Most of them, even so, do incredibly fine jobs, but the fact is, they get pressure from both sides, and just enough authority to get themselves into trouble with one wrong call. But their primary image of acceptable conditions includes empty streets, no signs, no shouting. Regardless what the Constitution says.

I will tell you this from experience, the cops today ARE more professional and even civilized compared to what we had to deal with in the Sixties. In my home town, during 68 and 69, with riots raging all over the country, our department decided to increase "visibility" and started recruiting cops from small towns. Some of these boys had grown up barely wearing shoes and had never seen a black man in person and suddenly they had a gun and a badge. Oh brother!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Elites hate democracy--real democracy, which is people running things themselves. The elites want a neo-liberal authority to keep watch on citizens going to far. They control how far the debates will go, anything beyond that they call anti-American. Meaning, anti-their power. It's basic job security for intellectual cops.

Return to “General”