THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby paul » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

reddragon70 wrote:I am sorry to say that I used to believe that most police officers were just every day working guys like me. Nowadays, in my 40s, I am starting to wonder. There seems to be an increasing number, not just in the US, who enjoy their power just a little too much.

In 1989 I lived in Maryland and I was dating a girl whose father had been a police Inspector in San Francisco. We were having dinner and talking about things and the subject of protesting came up, seeing as many were continuing to protest What Reagan Hath Wrought and What Bush Hath Continued. Specifically, I said that I don't know if I'd go protest in the times as they were, long-haired boy makin' trouble and all.
Then he said one of the scariest things I've ever heard. He said, "That's one of the reasons I left the Force. It used to be, with Police, an Us versus Them mentality. THEM being the perps, the criminals, the bad guys. Nowadays it's US-meaning cops-versus everybody else."
The medium is the message.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Paul

You may have misunderstood what the man was trying to say. At that point in time, specially in the Bay Area, things were stating to get a bit hairy for the cops. Before then the cops only had to deal with the guys they were arresting.

Around that time you started getting people who weren't being busted taking video, and still pictures of busts. Supposedly in the name of keeping the cops honest and what have you. Then it went from that to people actually confronting the police. Kinda hard to do you job when everyone and their brother is getting in your way.

My father, a 35 year veteran of the Alameda County Sheriff's Department and I have talked about this a ton.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Jello Biafra has spoken on just how brutal the San Francisco pd can be. Remember Dan White?

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 am

Lori, it's entirely possible I misunderstood, and it was a long time ago. But I was struck with the stories he told of the (you should excuse the expressions) lockstep, uniform thinking that was being produced in the ranks. There were no Serpicos, just a mindset that included breaking the laws they were sworn to uphold if it meant getting more quota that month.
The one that sticks out is a pair of officers who arrested a man, literally for helping an old lady cross the street. It was next to a construction zone and the man claimed it was safer because the cars didn't come so close, and she wasn't fast enough to get across the intersection to beat the light. When they grabbed him, the old woman tried to talk to them, and they arrested her for obstruction. They both went to jail.
It may be apocryphal, but he seemed sincere enough. Too sincere to a cop, now that I think back on it. That's not a dig, that's just asinine sarcasm.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:32 pm

to Lori
"Duuuude, Mister Hull is my Fahhhther. You can call me Crush- er- Paul" :wink:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:16 am

So where'd everybody go? I feel like the character from one of those films where he wakes up and finds the whole town deserted.

Maybe if I check under the rug. . .

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:51 am

Steve, I dont know how to tell you this, but Frank finally did them all in. It was horrible. I escaped by hiding under Harlan and Susan's table but he's coming! He has this really big cleaver. The screams were horrible. Kafka tried to point out that he was to young to die but to no avail. Barber pleaded to be allowed to see Cris open tonite, but sob sob.... They are all gone. Lori, Gwynnie and Harlan fought to the end. Poor Frank has gone over the edge. He was screaming something about some Chomskinsky or Chompers or something. Save yourself Steve. It's too late for the rest of us.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:07 am

I was out of the country while this was going on...actually, I was off planet at the time, but I heard the radio broadcasts for help. Sad. I understand they've dispatched some Sandmen to track Frank down. Turns out he's over 30.

BTW, Diane, I have bruised ribs now from being poked. What exactly is that about? Just curious.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:09 pm

*in a ghostly sounding voice*

Steve

I just now figured out how to type. Kinda hard when the fingers sorta just pass through the keys, know what I mean.

But, some nice dude with a rather red complexion and an evil laugh helped me out, so I should be here a bit more often. But he said something about gathering souls for him, may keep me busy a bit more than I'd like.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 am

Are you suggesting I shouldn't check under the carpet?

(How was the show Steve?)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:11 pm

I want that pic of Harlan with the elephant nose.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Big kudos and back slaps to our David Loftus, for helping out at Occupy Portland. I have done a bit at Occupy Cincy, so it is good to see activism all around our happy hutch.

Yes, David, no snark, all smiles to you.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 pm

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm

I went over to Occupy DC on Saturday to see for myself all the defecating, fornicating and unauthorized lactating that was apparently going on (I am married and in my 40s so I'll take whatever defecating, fornicating and unauthorized lactating I can get), and what I found was a clean, calm, quiet, respectful and quite charming little tent city that did nothing but improve MacPherson Square, which otherwise is a crappy city park even by DC standards. I took photos and posted them to my Facebook account, so you guys can see for yourselves exactly what I saw. (Feel free to 'friend' me once you get there, if that's your kind of thing).

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 975&type=3

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Rachel Maddow also mentioned how calm DC was, mainly because the city just lets them camp--it calms everybody.

John, you made my day.

I do hope the voters will punish the fascist Mayor Bloomberg.

Return to “General”