THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:49 pm

The Picasso self-portrait detail stood out, in part, because I found the gaze in the one eye so penetrating that it was almost a shame to me that it wasn't a full-on, follow-me-everywhere illusion.

Georgetown University's Lauinger Library is well known as a brutalist interpretation of nearby Healy Hall, one of the classic original Georgetown campus buildings. The students hate the thing, and it's not really an attractive building on its own, but one day when I was walking across the Key Bridge to class on M Street, I happened upon an angle where, seeing one in front of the other, the resonance falls into place. It's still not architecture I'd go out of my way to see, but finally 'getting' the artistic intent, I found a different appreciation of it.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

indroducing anything different or new is often best, or only, attained if it offers some reflection or connection with what is already a part of the ... environment, natural or man made .
follow your bliss,mike

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Gwyneth - I believe that's right - Art Institute of Chicago. Was especially happy to see "American Gothic" up close there.

I've never listened to any session recordings from Pet Sounds, though some are out there. I have occasioned to hear bits of the original Smile sessions (the finished material on the Beach Boys box that was done in the 90s, a fan reconstruction, session pieces) and I remain convinced that Brian Wilson is a wonderful, magical puzzle box of creativity - and I lament the damage done to him both physically/psychologically by his father and by the drugs. What he might have done with twenty lost years, given what he's done on both ends (because his finally realized Smile is a fine, fine recording) - it staggers the imagination to contemplate.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Re Barber and the art student - I miss college. A lot.

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Modern art: I am ambivalent about it, since I think the field encompasses both masters and charlatans. I look at a painting like Jasper Johns' "Flag," for instance, and I'm fascinated; I see what he's trying to do and the questions he's trying to pose. But Jeff Koons and his stainless-steel balloon animals? Roy Lichtenstein and his blown-up comic-book panels? Feh.

Brian Wilson: Right on all counts, Doug. The man is one of the small handful of true geniuses American popular music has produced, and it does the heart good to see him active and productive again, after all those lost years. I had the good fortune to see him in concert a few years ago, when he and his terrific band played all of Pet Sounds and a slew of other Beach Boys classics. Al Jardine, from the original BB lineup, was a guest. The show was fantastic, and you could practically feel the goodwill emanating from the crowd - everyone just so happy to see Brian in good spirits and good voice.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Incense Punk? Aint that an oxy-moron? hehe.

Mike rubs off me.

---------

You can vomit on a wall and some idiot calls that art: "Hey, man, if I say it's art then it's art. What are you, some fascist?"

Yes.

Famed art fascist.

----------

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Brutalism is totalitarian design--it hurts the eye and maims the heart. It assaults the commons, creams the environment and is just fucking ugly.

I say tear all that shit down. This aint Russia--yet.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Ever have one of those crazy moments where your brain makes a Mad Libs substitution on something and you completely do not realize until much later that you screwed the verbal pooch?

Not Picasso. Zoiks.

VAN GOGH. Vincent. Ear-cutter Vinnie. Theo's brother. The Doctor's pal.

Early onset senility. Warn your friends.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 pm

Lori and Gwyn, how you liken that snow?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:09 pm

What snow? It got damned cold, but I didn't see any snow. The closest it got was the Grapevine, and that's about 400 miles away.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:02 pm

I miss the snow.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Here in DC we missed a couple three good ones. Each time one of those monster systems from the mid-west reached us it tracked to the north and east. Not a complaint by the way. We had a couple dustings and one six incher. Enough to prettify the place but not shut it down. I still remember last year.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm

I could easily pack some snow off to anyone who wants some, especially considering the piles of snow on the corners of most streets that are taller than me
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

my regular impulse to move north to retire, is as regularly tempered by asking myself why ?
if only on rare occasion, i can be witness to a taste of the arctic here, in chicago.
see '67 jan, and
" The closest back to back 10 inch snows were March 25-26 and April 1-2, 1970 (6 days apart)."
yes, that was 10" in April.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/winter/chi_sno_hist.php

it seems winter has been kind this year, i do wonder what is to come.
follow your bliss,mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm

In England, I'm finding there is no winter so to speak - just lots and lots of rain. Cold, soggy, rain. On the rare occasion when it does snow, they go bonkers; society shuts down, emergency services stop working, shop shelves go empty, and people huddle int heir cellar waiting for the end. Meanwhile, I'm just wishing I had some cross country skiis. . .

Honest to God I would prefer the snow. At least it makes everything look nice. There is nothing uglier than wet cement. :oops:

Return to “General”