THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

MIKE -- I expect courtesy in BOTH directions. That last, of yours, was downright rude.

Great topic, guys. Lets not fuck it up by going personal. Last I checked, neither of you really know each other...true?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Rob, Mike, hug, paint each other's nails, make smores, trade Justin Bieber bubble gum cards...

-------------

Well, with austerity in a bad economy you are guaranteed a second depression. This just won't stop unless somebody pulls back.

You have to have government taking the place of the lack of demand in the economy: people are saving, afraid to spend. Nobody is investing, even though interest rates are near zero. The bridges are falling apart, the roads are fraying. Everybody in Washington wants austerity, but what we need is a reformed economy. I don't see it happening.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Barber, I have never seen the show before, since I tend to avoid reality shows, but it has become really addicting, especially since I know about the realities of restaurant work, which, sucks.

It depresses me to see the low quality of American culture. That some brit asshole has to save us from ourselves is the depressing part. Sure, the people on the shows come out good, but what about the restaurants nobody will hear about?

It was also strange to see so many lazy hispanics. Every person of that race I have ever worked with has kicked my ass. American lazyness is rubbing off on other races.

Casa Rosa's was hilarious.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Why didn't they fire Erick first thing! "What can you do?"

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm

You hit on two points I made to Cris while watching the episode. The desperation of the owners and how this reflects thousands of other places throughout the country, and secondly the way it portrayed the employees.

Read some of Bourdain's books -- he has a healthy respect for the hispanic work ethic.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Steve Evil,

You know the truth is, I myself always liked the movie version of Illustrated Man. It definitely has big flaws, but it's also evocative (I'm particularly a sucker for Jerry Goldsmith's score).

I met Jack Smight in the late 80's. I knew his roster ('No Way To Treat A Lady' by far the most outstanding in his credits), and he summarized his version of why Bradbury didn't like what they did.

As for "predicting" outcomes, sans Mike's mystic means, I only hope my anxieties are invalidated. I think, however, we really DO face VERY dire prospects as long as the mega-merging continues, along with the outsourcing of jobs. We may not have riots tomorrow, but an implosion of some sort is inevitable in the long run. It happened in England and France already for exactly the same reasons.

A society cannot ignore the continued widening in class rifts and not expect eventual havoc. This has proven a normal historical pattern.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 am

Barber wrote:MIKE -- I expect courtesy in BOTH directions. That last, of yours, was downright rude.
well...
what can i say?
i was inspired. :D

sincerely yours,
wiseguy wannabe cynic mike of the mystic means
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:14 am

Wrong response Mike.

Disrespect me again and you're out of here.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm

robochrist wrote: (I'm particularly a sucker for Jerry Goldsmith's score).

A score can make or break a film. A poor one can sink grand ships, and a good one can redeem clunkers.

Why did he think Bradbury didn't like his film?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Barber, it's now my favorite show, next to Glee.

He's right about the European style of portion size. We need to be about taste, quality, less about size on the plate. This is how a restaurant makes money and gets a rep.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:51 pm

What I worry about is people will run bad restaurants in hopes the mad brit chef saves em and does a free makeover.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Mr. Evil, I could not agree more about a score helping a film (or TV show). Funny coincidence, when we were watching Galactica last night, I mentioned to Karen how the music, espeically that drum beat , really helped to heighten the tension in critical scenes. I do not think musical directors get nearly enough credit for the work they do in film

Because of work overload, which has lessened this week, I have not followed the situation in Egypt much, but the small bits I have read are shocking to me. I do not see how Mubarak could possibly hold onto power with this type of wide-scale revolt
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Roc, good Lord, that Chomsky crowd in Tennesee was fucking huge! So much for the idea that he is only loved by the far left. This is also in a conservative state. Impressive.

I do notice the whole speech though. lol

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:54 pm

"Why did he think Bradbury did not like his film"

Well, first off, Bradbury himself never kept his feelings about it a secret. He denounced it publicly. Fairly well known at the time, I guess. I myself had read an interview with Bradbury in the 1980's. I think it was centered on the Martian Chronicles adaptation, and they went on to discuss previous efforts from his work in general. From what I remember, he was put off because no one involved him with the scripting or even consulted him! He also regarded the directing as lame: "the director could have done so much more with the camera...he should have taken us through the settings more..."

I had the opportunity to speak with Smight briefly in Los Angeles, but I honestly can't remember his responses about this. He indicated something to the effect that Bradbury was made some sort of offer (or SOME damn like that!), but that the author declined. I remember our conversation going on more about his close friend and associate, Rod Steiger.

Bradbury declared this movie inferior to nearly all the film adaptations of his work. He was much happier with the Martian Chronicles tv effort; I, myself, disagreed. I thought 'The Illustrated Man' much more memorable.

Scores: I am HYPERSENSITIVE to soundtracks. I consider them foreground components - sorely missing from most of today's flicks (the comics adaptations, especially, warrant memorable themes beyond the subdued and predictable "tonalities" so common today ). They engrave the movie's imagery in your consciousness, helping connect you to it emotionally.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:54 pm

If Egypt was a communist government in the 80s like someplace in eastern Europe we would welcome a revolution. Remember Solidarity in Poland?

The dominos are toppling and my smile is bigger than Montana moonbeams.

Chris Matthews: "Do we have any hopes of having a leader that's loyal to us?" Only the people matter, you cow! The leaders don't matter. Democracy matters. This is why I am an anarchist. Good god, everybody is crazy.

loyal to them, THEM, not us. Fuck us! We started this charade. If it's the Muslim Brotherhood, well, that's the shakes. The dice have been tossed. The game cannot be stopped now.

Return to “General”