THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:28 pm

turd in the punchbowl roc, my man.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:45 am

that is:

"turd in the punchbowl, Roc, my man."

subtle, yes...

and:

Ms Koonce, why would i misread a post of yours? Ever?

Package soon.

Keendawg

Rick Keeney

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Fake well wishes? Funny, I've always given people the benefit of the doubt. . .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:43 pm

:oops:

I'm a bit confused Mr. Keeny, when did I ever accuse you of missing any of my posts? You are one of the few people on the webs that pays more attention to me that is necessary at times. Being the attention whore I am, I like it!

Gang:

I hope you all had a healthy and happy holiday. Promise to be getting back to my usual smart assed self after the first of the year!

Rick Keeney

christmas blizzard of 2010

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:01 pm

How are you Phillylanders holding up?

Please check in if you can.

Rick

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Didn't seem quite right to post this bit of self-promotion in the Pavilion proper ... but here? Why not?

If anyone is interested, I will be interviewed on NPR's "Morning Edition" on Tuesday. (Exact time during the show is undetermined at this point, and it airs at different times in different areas, so Check Your Local Listings.) The topic is troubled banks - specifically this story of mine, published today:
http://tinyurl.com/2f896lq

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Rapo, why didn't you tell us about the Wall Street Journal gig?

So, you take money from Rupert Murdock, eh? Gonna keep my eye on you there fella.

That's the top story on Huffingtonpost. So much for the bile about the TARP bailout working. Expect a possible run-on banks.

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Frank, as I've said here before, it's not a big secret who I work for. I have said previously that I write for a major financial-news organization, and anyone who was really interested could find out who my employer was with a minute or two of Googling. (Which I'm pretty sure you've done yourself in the past, based on your previous comments.) The only reason I haven't said who I work for, here or on the Pavilion, is that I wanted to be able to talk about journalism a little more freely when that subject comes up, without anyone assuming that I speak for my employer (which I don't) or having it turn into a debate about a particular news organization. I "broke" my own rule in this case simply because I thought folks here might be interested in the NPR interview.

That said: Yes, I am a reporter for the Wall Street Journal, which has been and continues to be one of the country's great newspapers, both before and after Rupert Murdoch bought it. This is a fairly recent development; I've written for many years for Dow Jones Newswires, the wire-service arm of the same company, but over the last several months I've been writing more and more for the Journal until the editors there decided to bring me onto their staff full-time.

And yes, as such, Murdoch is ultimately the man who signs my paychecks. That hasn't kept me from bringing to light questionable stuff being done by big banks, craven politicians and corporations who'd rather investors not notice the worrisome stuff that lurks under the surface of their balance sheets. Just a week ago, a colleague and I broke the news that New York state was filing civil fraud charges against Lehman Brothers' auditors, attempting to hold them accountable for the firm's collapse.

You want to keep your eye on me? Feel free. Just judge me by my work, and judge the Journal by what appears in its pages, and not by any other criteria.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Too bad you missed the journalism debates over on Frank's corner. Or maybe not. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Too bad you missed the journalism debates over on Frank's corner. Or maybe not. . .

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:02 am

Michael, only in FrankWorld would writing for the WSJ be a BAD THING. He assumes you must be a member of the Illuminati.

Am I to understand our fearless moderator, Steve Barber, is in the hospital? Could someone with connections pass on my good wishes?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 am

Hey guys. Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, as Twain once observed.'

I went in the hospital last Wednesday night with a flurry of symptoms which could be -- could be -- signs of a heart attack. I'm overweight, have high BP and several other factors which make this an ongoing concern, but in this case they have ruled out any heart issues.

It looks like I have slipped a disc or somehow else disrupted my back. Nerves are involved, and I have an achy, sometimes burning sensation in my arm centering on the crook and elbow.

I am short of breath due to a completely separate issue they've uncovered as a side to some of the tests. (Back pain, shortness of breath, arm pain -- you can see why I feared the worst.)

Going for further tests and xrays in an hour. But I am at home, resting semi-comfortably and watching our own Harry Potter marathon with Cris. Not a whole lot of energy for sitting in front of the computer letting my neck lock up.

Stay tuned.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Best health and speedy recovery to you Mr. Barber - you are rather indispensible here, and indeed anywhere.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Steven Barber, must you always pine for attention? awww, hope you feel better. Eat well, get exercise, walking is best--I know you mooks in LA don't walk. Kiss your wife, smell the roses and kick sand in the Devil's face.

---------

Ezra, ya boob, I compliment the Journal all the time. It has to give accurate information to investors so it has to tell certain truths, if it wants to or not. Even Chomsky loves the journal.

The opinion page, that's another animal. Those right wing pukes need to be head butted.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Steve, I am so sorry. I must seem completely insensitive by my posts in the pavy re the Mule position. I have been following your condition through your posts both here and on FB with concern. And now I am very worried. Please tell me the docs did a heart enzyme test. Because two years ago, that was the only way they knew I had a severe blockage. My EKGs all came back fine. E-mail me if I can help with ques. or anything. Or you and Cris can call me. I have to go over to Vinnie's for a couple hours this evening but will definitely be home and up from 7 or 8 yours and Cris' time. Be well diane

Return to “General”