THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 pm

robochrist wrote:"Wait, is that the wind whispering in my ear or the voices in my head?"

The wind talks to ME all the time - ALL the time!

In college we used to refer to being able to hear the "Wind whistling through the windmills of his mind" (or her).

It wasn't complimentary, and yes we were elitist assholes.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

I myself remain an elitist asshole EVEN as the winds whistle!

...And I'm so desperate I'll take ANYTHING as a compliment!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Spin News of the Day

Bristol Palin apparently posted this on Facebook in response to Margaret Cho's assertion that Sarah made Bristol go on Dancing With The Stars....

"You say you 'don't agree with the family's politics at all' but I say, if you understood that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence, you would embrace us faster than KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert."

Decent humor, if a little sexist-- but are those "Commonsense conservative values...for less government interference..." the same ones which insist the government legislate who can get married? Or want our kids to pay for government tax breaks for the wealthy? Or grope us as we board aircraft?

Just askin'.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I believe everybody has hidden talents. If I believe in God I have to believe in miracles.

The wind kicks ass as well.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Personally, I find the assertion of "commonsense" conservatives really grating. There is an anti-intellectualism embedded in Palin's philosophy that really gnaws at me, as if the "smart" people don't understand the needs of the "common" folks. Echoes of "A Canticle for Liebowitz", my friends.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 pm

I read about a poll recently that says Palin's support among college-educated Republicans is actually very small.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Einstein said that "common sense" should be placed on the same shelf with discarded nonsense. Common sense seems to mean ideas that we accept without question and become deeply offended when someone else questions them.

You have to hand it to Bristol though. She's got Mommy's talking points down already.

What does "government interference" mean? Environmental regulations? Unemployment insurance? Food inspection?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:54 pm

markabaddon wrote:Echoes of "A Canticle for Liebowitz", my friends.

Good pull, and quite right. And, if you've read the book you know "Those who ignore history..." (or, more accurately in the case of both the book and my own philosophy, "Those who rewrite history...")

Grayson wrote:Palin's support among college-educated Republicans is actually very small.

This would not surprise me. It's the requirement for people to look beyond the rhetoric that makes the difference. I'm a Democrat, but I rarely listen to the Hartmanns and/or Rhodes. (I will admit a fondness for Stephanie Miller because she has fart jokes.) Sound bites do little to pursuade me that a position is a valid one. I like to think I take a more distant -- my Dad would say "dispassionate", but I am quite passionate at times -- approach to formulating my opinion. It may be an elitist comment, but I see faaarrrr too many of our countrymen letting others give them an opinion versus formulating one of their own. Of both political stripes, though it seems to be more prevalent with Conservatives.

I believe this to be a function of a fundamental difference of approach. Conservatives, perhaps founded within cultures that believe prosyletizing is an acceptable form of religious fervor, tend to be far more adept at driving opinion rather than thought. And their base far more willing to accept what has been given to them as "fact without question". It's the same functionality as we see with the infallibility of the pulpit. Congregations won't, by and large, question what they are told by a pastor or minister or rabbi. It's a given. Unassailable.

Kinda like Fox News and Rush when you think about it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm

They also want to cut taxes but want us to keep high military spending. What do they use to buy the guns, water?

If some company poisons our water, what do we do, class actions? They hate the courts as well.

They are daft.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm

Obama's cave-in to the Bush tax-cut extension to the wealthiest: this isn't where he fucked up.

Thanks to dumb-ass voters, there are now enough Republicans to make the alternative impossible.

At this crossroad, Obama had little choice or millions would be without EDD benefits.

No, Obama fucked up when he failed in the strategies to win the mid-terms. He didn't plan early enough or rigorously enough to anticipate this debacle.

At LEAST he applies the word "temporary" to those extensions. God knows what the top 1% is going to DO with it, or even if they NOTICE the difference! But, either way, this is going to be Hell on the deficit and the social programs.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:04 am

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:22 am

News from the BBC about an organized boycott of the presentation of the Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo, a key leader of the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. He was recently sentenced to 11 years in prison for the awful crime of "inciting subversion" after drafting Charter 08 - which called for multi-party democracy and respect for human rights in China.

Look at this crew of thugs and scumbags: Russia, Kazakhstan, Colombia, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Serbia, Iran, Vietnam, Venezuela, the Philippines, Egypt, Sudan, Ukraine, Cuba, Algeria and Morocco.

Amazingly (or perhaps not), the United Nations' most senior human rights official, Navi Pillay, has said she will not attend.

Well fuck'em all and congratulations to the Committee and Mr Liu.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Pick, liu, fine, hunky dory, a fine gentleman. But add someone who was purged by one of our crimes.

Be fair.

-------

Ezra, no more Venezuela bashing. Let them flourish.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Steve Evil wrote:You guys are famous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12F0vm3TS0A&NR=1

Is it human nature to royally detest photo or video footage of oneself? Ugh! Perhaps it was just the angle... :mrgreen:

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 pm

(Steve, you like my youtube screen name?)

Return to “General”