THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby diane bartels » Tue May 04, 2010 11:54 am

K.M. Kirby, please allow me to extend heartfelt condolences to you over Lana's death. I thought it a tragedy at the time and still think so. I think in each life there are some people who just leave their mark on us for better or worse, forever. My friend Ira was such a one. He was my friend. He died suddenly, unexpectedly in '95. Thoughts of him come in unusual ways at unexpected times. I suspect they always will. Take care.

Richard you are going to hate my post in the Pavvy today. :roll:

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue May 04, 2010 3:25 pm

diane bartels wrote:Richard you are going to hate my post in the Pavvy today. :roll:

for an under-edited throwaway, I thought it terse and humorous, as well as inoffensive

under-punctuated...
Rick
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Keeney, you may be right about my post, but I do know that Germany has quality exports, at least for now, but huge layoffs are around the corner, or so says economist Diane Johnson. Neo-liberal policy dictates much of Europe and the fixation with the Euro is killing smaller countries, like Greece, who Merkel will not help by rolling over some of their dept.

Jan was wrong with the personal attack. Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean they are dumb.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue May 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.

As for the "Stages of Grief" concept, I wonder if it would help to draw up a chart, like a list of which stage one is in -- for whom, and how for many.

As in; ten "denials", six current "acceptances" and so on.
--kk

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm posting this here because there's so much horrible going on that I didn't want to add more to it on the Pav proper.

Another death in the family. Sunday, my Aunt Barbara was found dead. It looks to be heart failure. I'm alternating between numbness and pain.

The highlight of many a summer was a family trip out to Barbara & Larry's house in Arlington, WA, about 50 miles north of Seattle. Their sons Tim & Steve were just about my favortie cousins, and we all had good times together.

I've written earlier about the death of my Uncle Larry. Now it's Barbara. Steve's life has pretty much fallen apart since suffering a back injury and Barbara was all that was left, so I'm worried about him. Tim has flown out there so Steve's not alone.

I'm just about horribled out. My Dad's illness, my friend Will dying recently, now this. I keep thinking of a line from the last Playhouse 90, In the Presence of Mine Enemies: "We're all out of tears. We just haven't any left, you see. We've simply run out of tears."

I alternate between numbness and pain. And I know I won't break. It would be nice, I think, to just have a complete breakdown. But it won't happen. It won't come. I can't break.

I've also just had a bit of a scare. I should be at work by now, but I started my car, it ran for a few seconds then quit. Then acrid smoke came out from under the dash. I immediately pulled the key and got out. They'll arrange for someone to cover me at work, and I've got a near-perfect attendance record. But that was pretty freaky.

I think I've had enough for one night.

All horribled out.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 05, 2010 6:54 am

Chuck, I am so very sorry for yet another loss to you and your family. This has truly been a suck year.

I hope you have someone at your side, propping you up.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed May 05, 2010 9:50 am

Dang, that's tough, Chuck. I hope the rest of the family pulls together for you. Let your friends be kind to you.

I had a very minor scare, night before last: one of Carole's 30-year-old gold crowns popped out and she accidentally swallowed it. It was a good-sized thing, with jagged edges, and we were all freaked out about what it might do working its way through her system.

We don't have a car, so we use the car-sharing service Zipcar. I booked one immediately to take her to the emergency room, and it was almost the last straw when my membership card wouldn't unlock the car!

Fortunately, a quick call on the cell phone raised an operator who could fix the problem remotely in five minutes (amazing how they can do that!), and we were off.

Carole got X-rayed at midnight, and we were home shortly after 1 a.m. It should pass through her system okay, but boy, was that frightening.

All my best to you, friend.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

Glad to see Carole's going to be okay. I hope the crown replacement will get done quickly and at minimal cost.

Life, it seems, has no shortage of rude shocks.

Chuck

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 am

Damn, I love me some ConcentricFridays.

On Morning Joe today they had on the awful T Boone Pickens to talk about how we end our need for foreign oil. This is why it is a shame that our media won't have on people like Kunstler who would talk frankly about peak oil and how we cannot change our energy policy until we do something about suburbia and sprawl. We may be fucked.

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Chuck,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the unremitting shitrain you've been dealing with. I do hope you've seen the last of those ugly surprises for a while. Please know that in addition to family and friends you have a cybercommunity here in Webderland keeping you in our thoughts and wishing the best for you.

Take care,
Steve J.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 pm

All the best to you and your loved ones Chuck. There are times when all of life's storms strike at once. Best o' luck.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed May 05, 2010 3:50 pm

This just in: Repairs to my car may cost more than I've got. I'm depleted from the other two times I brought my car in to the garage. I may be able to scare up some extra in the next couple of days. That depends on the final cost of the repair.

The bus doesn't go anywhere near where I work, out in the back of beyond. I've got to have a car. I'm looking over what I can sell to make sure I can get my car back.

Man, this is getting to be too much. What next?

Chuck

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Ah, Ezra, don't you read Greg Palast? Not only was the 2000 election stolen, so was the 2004 and much of the 2008.

Jan quoted the NY Times on Greece. Jan, my friend, never quote our media on economic issues. We are in the tank for the global order. Even Krugman downs the Battle in Seattle patriots. He's a big globalization mook.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Chuck, I'm sorry to read this. Not sure if you saw it but Rick Keeney also recently posted that he needed to sell books from his library to help defray medical costs for his ex. A musician we know had to sell a valuable keyboard just to make ends meet -- and unfortunately we couldn't help out given our own tight conditions.

Is this the world today? People selling things to cover the basics of life?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”