Plenty to Do in Amereeka

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

Plenty to Do in Amereeka

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Before a certain situation slips inexorably into the realm of the Regretful Afterthought, perhaps a post on the subject will help clear the air in at least my own admittedly wispy intellect. By way of introduction, let me just say that a certain aspect of emigrés' issues has recently come to the fore as one of my central issues. To be more specific, a hardworking, two-jobs-a-day type 34-yr-old from New Delhi has begged me to vouch for her reliability as an adjunct to a successful completion of the citizenship process. Apparently, the fellow formerly pledged in this matter of merit has turned out to be a bozo; a flake; a Vanishing Vinnie of the lowest order. In other words, this no-show loser has now placed a burden of vouchsafery on the only other safe citizen nearby: yours truly, the author of this topical post.

The only problem here, though, is the fact that my own income is nowhere near the lofty requirement of twenty-k-a-year, as demanded by the Byzantine rules of legal alien integration.

So now, apparently, it must be demanded of me to somehow seek out a local aquaintance--of semi-adequate means--to stand up for this young, paralegal worker by providing a name, address, phone number, etc. to go on the formal form requirements.

Quite simple, right? One would assume this procedure to be a piece of proverbial cake. Except, I've never before seen so many blank stares, questioning looks and quizzical expressions when asking a favor of people.

For someone who's harried by dozens of ILLegal aliens on a daily basis, I can only express my shocked wonder at the difficulties faced by just this one Honest Jane from a friendly nation.

?!?
--kk

Ezra Lb.

Re: Plenty to Do in Amereeka

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am

Marry her.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:06 pm

let's see now,

"a hardworking, two-jobs-a-day type 34-yr-old from New Delhi "(i assume working for lawers?),has only you as "the only other safe citizen nearby"

i can appreciate that.

were her 2 jobs with any other than lawers,perhaps she could trust them to vouch for her.

but i'm probably missing something,mabe ezra's right.
follow your bliss,mike

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:08 pm

K.M

Cynic has a good idea. Surly someone high up in one of those two companys she worked for can vouchsafe for her, can't they?

IF not, why not look up a few non profits in your area that may be able to be of assistance. She's not a refugee, but that would be a place to start, at least they have the information that she'd need to figure this all out.

My prayers are with both of you. This cannot be an easy place to be for either of you.

Lori

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:12 pm

BTW

If you wanna go Ezra's route here's some 411 (aka info) for you to start looking at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-1_visa

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks and felicitations for any response to this diatribe. Perhaps as a result of some quantum info effect, I've been pulled on hook on this one.

Some buddy seems to be standing up now for Deepti, whom I now, ironically, care little or nothing about.
--kk

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm

K. M. Kirby wrote:Some buddy seems to be standing up now for Deepti, whom I now, ironically, care little or nothing about.
funny (ha ha and strange)what a difference 5 or 6 days can make
caring is overated
people are actualy pretty good at dealin wit der own shit,when they have to. :mrgreen:
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “General”