Not Even Arnold Schwarzenegger Could Rescue Them

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

Not Even Arnold Schwarzenegger Could Rescue Them

Postby K. M. Kirby » Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 pm

First came the failed rescue measures, then the economic collapse and subsequent famine.

Will this CA election wind up looking like the nut-in-a-burning-building who fights off the fireman on the rescue ladder?

All of Arnold's special elections tend to look like the sort of thing that, years later, he can say "Oh vell, at least I tried, right?"
--kk

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm

This hits to the heart of my theory that popular vote does not always a good government make. Voting on the state's budget isn't what we should be doing as a citzen, it's something the people we elect are supposed to be doing.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed May 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Good point. And why our founders constructed a constitutional republic, not a pure democracy.

Without checks and balances democracy is just mob rule.

Someday a certain anarchist in our midst will get it. :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed May 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Think you all will like this one. There is a tire store near where I live, and they always have interesting quotes. Grey Davis supposedly said the followling to Arnie when he took office....

"You need rain in the North and a good economy and you aren't in charge of either of those things"

K. M. Kirby

All Just a Plot Point

Postby K. M. Kirby » Thu May 21, 2009 1:55 pm

In actual fact, it's probably a good thing to vote down Arnie every time. That way, we get angry, right.

We don't give in to despair. We don't become limp, lifeless and weak.

We struggle, pushing back with equal, greater even, dynamic force in the polls.

We fight Arnie, as we fight against the quagmire into which Evil Dick & W have cruelly led us.

We fight back, ye Republocrooks!
--kk

robochrist

Re: Not Even Arnold Schwarzenegger Could Rescue Them

Postby robochrist » Sun May 24, 2009 8:51 pm

"This hits to the heart of my theory that popular vote does not always a good government make. Voting on the state's budget isn't what we should be doing as a citzen, it's something the people we elect are supposed to be doing."

The problem I really had here, and this is often the case, is that the turnout was very small, as I understand it. That means the decision gets handed to the whims of the few interested enough to make sure things went their way. This is why corporations often get their way in a system like ours. And at OUR expense.

Having said that, I'm embarrassed to say I was and remain thus far poorly informed on the content of these proposals. I'll use the ever handy back-up "I've been so busy lately - I didn't have time to read up on the proposals"; ALWAYS sounds good, at least to ME. I understand ONE was to the effect of raising sales tax, which is regressive and I therefore oppose it. The only one that went through was prohibiting the politicians in giving themselves pay raises, which is fine, but fails to address the urgent priorities.

The other proposals I still don't know. But I don't trust Schwarzenegger because I think he still side-steps raising taxes on his wealthy pals. I think any measure he offers places the burdens disproportionately on the middle class and the poor. But that's a blanket accusation since I don't know the proposals. If ONE of them was raising taxes on the wealthy (not that that's the only strategy, but it's one of several that will be necessary), then I'm pissed and correct that, once again, the top 1% got their way.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:10 pm

Die haupt problemme mit Arnie steht, dass wohntete er bei Hollywood Babylon fur zu lange Zeit. Er denkt dass sind wir alle ebenso dumm. Was geht schlimmer, ist dass denkt er, dass sollen wir so dumm sein.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:58 pm

many politicians have come to depend on the stupidity of strangers.
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “General”