Guilty Pleasures

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

swp

Postby swp » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:35 pm

guilty
swp

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm kinda with Frank on this one; if I take pleasure in something I tend to think of it as a good thing. At least when it comes to music and movies.

Be that as it may, there are certain things I take no pride in enjoying.

Fast food.

Old Video games (dangerously addictive. Seriously, they've done studies)

And like Mark, Pro-Wrestling. (It was peer pressure! I swear, they made me watch it!)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Wrestling killed it for me when I found out it was fake. Deflated my entire soul.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Donkey Kong.... Oh man major guilty pleasure.

Pinball is a big one for me too. Especially The Addams Family pinball. I still want to buy myself a pinball machine but at £1500 I am a tad short of funds.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm

...That deaf, dumb and blind kid....

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:40 pm

As it happens, over on my blog, where I upload reprints of my old newspaper column, I just recently posted a column on guilty pleasure movies. And, as it happens, the follow-up to that column, which I've just now uploaded, was about our own Unca Harlan's teleplays. The idea behind the latter column was to acknowledge "The Oscar" as a film that is a guilty pleasure for many, but then to point out that it is in no way representative of the bulk of Harlan's work.

The kicker is that I sent a tear sheet of that column to Harlan for his files, and within a week I received a phone call from him (a complete surprise since I had not included any contact information beyond the return address on the envelope) thanking me. I missed the call, so I got the message in the form of an answering machine recording (we didn't call it "voice mail" in those days). After identifying himself and saying that he had received the tear sheet, his first words were, "If I were not a happily married man, I'd ask you to marry me!" Clearly, he was pleased with the column. At his invitation, I returned the call, and we had a very pleasant chat.

Steve J.

NeonMosfet

Re: Guilty Pleasures

Postby NeonMosfet » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:36 am

South Park

Eureka

Battlestar Galactica to be distinguished from Battlestar Ponderosa. The other turned into a Bonanza, though at the end it pissed me off. I had come up with how they build the skin jobs in the first place on the Scifi board, cloning et al. How this was done before jump travel so it took 2000 years to terrorize the humans. They walked over me as though I were roadkill. Two weeks later, Anders says," ...That was in the days before jump drive..." duh.

Star Trek when it's great

Andromeda
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:53 am

Royally telling off the Caucasian supervisor of two African-American colleagues at work when he referred to them as "niggers".

Writing the e-mail documenting the same and cc:ing the EEO.

Stripping down to a red sequined heart-shaped G-string and dancing in front of 300 people at a party.

Going on a single-malt "drinking tour" around Scotland with a total stranger, trying one malt from each district -- he paid the bill.

Walking back (alone) to my hotel room after the above. In a straight line.

Reading "Flop Sweat" in front of a room-full of Fundamentalist Christians.

Taking a hot soapy bath with another woman.

Betsey Johnson's Polly pumps. Manolos. Ferragamos.

Hitchcock's movie "Marnie". ('Tippi' Hedren reportedly said, "I can't believe I'm playing a frigid woman--opposite Sean Connery!")

Really stupid movies: Harold and Kumar; Bill and Ted; The Pest; The Jerky Boys; School for Scoundrels.

and...

BOLLYWOOD!!!
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 pm

"Stripping down to a red sequined heart-shaped G-string and dancing in front of 300 people at a party."

"Taking a hot soapy bath with another woman."

Check please!

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:15 pm

I dont think Bollywood is really a guilty pleasure as it can be understood. Lots of people love the Indian cinema. Hell it just as big as the USA cinema!

Does Mystery Science Theatre 3000 count as a guilty pleasure?

My old car? COs I loved it soooooo much and it almost killed me to sell it :(

Reading Frank's posts cos they just amuse me so much?

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm

reddragon70 wrote:I dont think Bollywood is really a guilty pleasure as it can be understood. Lots of people love the Indian cinema. Hell it just as big as the USA cinema!

I'm with you on this one! I think that Shah Rukh Khan is the highest grossing actor in the business. Have'ta check imdb on that one, but I know that he's probably the most popular actor in the world.

I SOOOO loved OM SHANTI OM!!!!

And MST3000 is a WONDERFUL pleasure, guilty or not!! :D
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Pity, the star of Slumdog Millionaire was still living in a slum they demolished it.

Guilty Pleasures:

Pacman

TrollKingdom
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm currently trying to break my "Breaking Blocks" score. I should be doing lesson plans.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Just don't mention video games around Harlan. You know he hates that stuff.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Hey Gwyneth a question for you...

My experience of Bollywood is clips played on a video at my favorite local Indian restaurant during lunch. Lots of devastating looking women, pretty boys, significant glances, teases, hip shakes, etc.

So...do they ever have honest to Ganesh SEX scenes in these movies (with naked sweaty skin) or is it just a come-on?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”