Guilty Pleasures

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Guilty Pleasures

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm

We all have them.....

You know that those few things that you crave that you only indulge in your favorite part of the house way after all the important people in your life are asleep or gone for the day...

I'll share a couple of mine, and hope you will do the same....

1. There are days when I just have to find the ABBA albums.Even their most sappy ballads are pop gems....

2. One Froggy Evening.... It's not shown often, but when it is I just double over laughing..... YOu'll have to see the cartoon to understand why I like it so much.

3. Between the Lions. Sure it's a kids TV show, but the puppetry is amazing, and when Fred Numan does his thing it's interesting as hell....

Your turn

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:18 am

"One Froggy Evening" is hardly a guilty pleasure; fine, fine piece of classic Chuck Jones animation with tremendous comedic timing. Everyone should get a copy pressed into their hands when they are six.

Now, "Huckleberry Hound"? That would be a guilty pleasure...

As for me...

1) Ghost Hunters - hunted, or hokum? Who cares! I don't get to roam around in abandoned asylums and looks for vaporous apparitions, so good on 'em and pass the popcorn.

2) High-end chocolate. No, Frank - not Hershey's.

3) Bruce Willis' "If It Don't Kill You, It Just Makes You Stronger" CD.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:41 am

Whatdidido?

-------------

I don't believe in guilty pleasures. Either you like something or you don't. And if you foster a workable esthetic for your life or cultural bullshit detector then any pleasure must have some merit, no matter what the snobs say.

But I will play along, noting that I never feel guilt about a thing.

1. Gilligan's Island. Yep, I love it, always will. It makes me laugh. It is innocent, shows how people of different backgrounds can work together--an anarchist credo--and no matter how many times Gilligan fucks up, they still like him.

2. Smarmy pop songs of the 70s. Yes, kids, Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds rock my world. Laughter In The Rain makes me swoon. Wildfire rides off into the sunset--my eyes get damp. Yes, K-Tel runs the factory in my mind. God help us all.

Sing with me: "I'm your vehicle babeee..."

3. Fox News Channel. I know I should avoid it, avoid it like the plague, but like a car crash, I have to watch. The twisted victims and smoking ruins make my mouth drop. I can't stop watching--oh, God, I need a doctor.

This is a guilty pleasure. ha.

4. Billy Jack. Sure it is awfully directed and all that hippie dippie shit is funny, especially now. But I love to watch my Billy defend the Indians and kick some white ass. I also love the Born Losers.

Also, there is lots of nudity for a pg movie.

5. White Castle. I love em, what else can I say.

Burp.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:56 am

Should have said, awfully acted.

-----------

Watch my Billy kick ass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnra0KRnDk

Now I know why people become Republican..lol

swp

Postby swp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 am

1. Married With Children... because no matter how often you kick Al Bundy (even when he's down), he keeps getting back up again. Also, my real life is far too close for comfort. No, I don't sell women's shoes. And you can call it low-brow humor all you want, I still laugh when I catch the occasional rerun. Humor is humor.

2. Death Race 2000 - admit it, you love this movie and still look at pedestrians in the crosswalk and think "hey, he's worth 20 points because he's young and fast"

3. McDonalds. Wendy's. Taco Bell. yeah, at my age I shouldn't eat there. ever. but I still love it. disparate epicurian delights make each seem better.

4. Microsoft Windows. Yes, windows from microsoft. I am an old unix hack from 35+ years back, and I do have linux machines, and experimented with Macs once, but I gotta tell ya its the easiest thing in the world to do what I want to do on my micorsoft windows laptop. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were into doing movie editing or something for which I don't already already have a reliable program.

5. AOL. I am one of the original 100 users. I still love my email in their interface. No muss, no fuss. Never had a crash. Never gotten a virus. Of course, I don't go out of my way to be stupid about it either. And I tend to have better hardware. And I still haven't used it for hosting home pages or other drivel.

I'm sure there are other things.
swp

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:24 am

I second Married...With Children.

All the horrid things that the evil inside you wants to say made 'real'. I certainly wouldn't want to live near the Bundys, but to 'live' with them 30 minutes every week was fun. My wife liked it, too. Ex-wife, now, though.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Taco Bell? I will admit to eating their dogfood sometimes, especially when somebody else buys it. haha.

Dogs have to eat too.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Guilty Entertainment:

1) Top Chef

2) Diners, Drive-ins and Dives

3) Two and a Half Men

4) Dancing with the Stars (though this season, not so much).

Guilty Pleasures:

1) Chocolate milk

2) Driving (wasting gasoline on trips through the desert, etc.)

3) Home-made gingerbread from the bakery downstairs

4) Cointreau Noir (Too expensive to justify, but it tastes sooo good.)

5) Carl's Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger with fried zucchini
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:26 pm

MASH reruns
The original WB Bugs Bunny cartoons, no apologies and no edits!
Others....

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:11 pm

cigarettes
alchohol
paying attention to frank
(all bad for my health)

and i agree,guilt and regret are overated,they should be denied when not avoided.hey,we do the best we can!

ren and stimpy
simpsons,family guy and american dad
dinosaurs(big puppets that lori brought to mind)
and muchmuchmore
follow your bliss,mike

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm

Jack Daniels and Wolf Blass wines.

PC puzzle games

Duckman (ok it was rude and silly but i loved it.)

Quiet days when I am not working and I get to play World Of Warcraft a bit.

Those are my guilty pleasures

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:56 am

Well I'm too much of a hedonist to ever really feel guilty about my pleasures, but...but...

Hi! My name is Ezra and I'm a Stevie Nicks fan.

There I said it.

I feel so...purified.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:39 am

I've been very hesitant to speak up because after thinking about it, I find I'm too busy to have any guilty pleasures these days. I used to have lots of them, from the Carpenters and the Banana Splits to various exotic ice creams and coffee drinks.

But I went pescatarian two years ago, have had to curb my diet considerably for intestinal reasons, and I never was much of a TV watcher.

I still listen to and consume silly and insubstantial things now and then, but I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it. It's all part of the mix, and I don't do any of it to an immoderate degree.

I feel a little guilty about how much time I spend reading, but other than occasional fluffy mystery novels, I just don't read trash. I sometimes feel a little guilty about spending a lot of time rehearsing and acting for the stage, but really, that doesn't hurt anybody, not even me.

I just wish I had the energy and self-discipline to do more of my own writing, I guess.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:21 am

Okay. I've been feeling guilty about a little omission above.

During those desert drives, I'm prone to dramatically exceeding the speed limit while cranking The Allman Brothers' Jessica at full.

Never when the windows are down (I can't bear the thought of my speakers disturbing the eerie silence when the car is stopped) -- but when I'm under way it probably scares the jackrabbits for miles in every direction.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:24 pm

My one guilty pleasure is that I am a fan of pro wrestling. Grew up watching it, and somehow, even though I know it is completely silly, still enjoy watching it from time to time
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”