McAfee Stinger as a Virus Cure

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:41 pm

It might be really nice if we could all stimulate eachother's implant wires without risking flatline.

But all together at the same time? Gimme a break!

What would be the point?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:23 pm

> It would be really nice for Harlan to be able to post on the Art Deco
> Dining Pavilion FROM the Art Deco Dining Pavilion...

While it's a lovely idea, Rick, and I'm sure Harlan would appreciate the results, do you really think he would stand for computer equipment joining the decor up there?

(I'm only guessing -- I've never been there, myself.)
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:27 pm

David Loftus wrote:> It would be really nice for Harlan to be able to post on the Art Deco
> Dining Pavilion FROM the Art Deco Dining Pavilion...

While it's a lovely idea, Rick, and I'm sure Harlan would appreciate the results, do you really think he would stand for computer equipment joining the decor up there?

(I'm only guessing -- I've never been there, myself.)

While I would never buy Mac myself the new laptops are light as hell, unobtrusive, and run for hours on a set of batteries. It would not be an installation as much as it would be something Susan or Harlan carries around to wherever. Wireless networks are pretty much plug and play these days, too.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm

I'd agree Rick, but I don't think it will be an easy battle to win.

I can hear it now:

"I don't WANT to be able to access the &%$#%$# internet from every room in the house!"

(And we won't even get into "Whaddya mean it would be up and running all the time???")

But we can dream, can't we?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Well, the only scenario I can envision is you and/or I showing up there and making it happen. No matter how much he bitches the first weekm once he and Susan have that kind of easy access they will not want to go back . You know how convenient it is for them now... :)

My feeling is if they get a windfall I'll be able to talk them into it. If not, there is no way. They are not going to pay a financial price that hurts in any way...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Laptops just make you want to bring the beast whereever you go. Best to take a book and give it a rest every so often. The internet is a democratic dream toy but even toys stay in the box every now and again.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:26 pm

admin wrote:Well, the only scenario I can envision is you and/or I showing up there and making it happen. No matter how much he bitches the first weekm once he and Susan have that kind of easy access they will not want to go back . You know how convenient it is for them now... :)

My feeling is if they get a windfall I'll be able to talk them into it. If not, there is no way. They are not going to pay a financial price that hurts in any way...

Agreed. And, for the record, said windfall should entail bringing a certain "consultant" in from, say, Atlanta-ish? Then, as a tag team, I'll hold them back as you connect the wireless hub.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Do you really think you can hold Harlan AND Susan back for that long? Even if I know where he keeps the shotgun?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:59 pm

admin wrote:Do you really think you can hold Harlan AND Susan back for that long? Even if I know where he keeps the shotgun?

Um, no. When you put it that way...

New idea: We wait 'til Susan goes to pilates.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 am

AHA! So my Holmes-like deduction was correct. HE has access to a piece of shit computer system.

Good luck with the plan my friends.

And go with Mac...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:29 am

Steve, you should look into dialup vs the lowest price point HSI (high-speed internet - DSL or Cable). I am in training in CT right now to be a replacement worker in case of a strike and I just noticed that for AT&T the lowest-cost dialup is $22.95 a month and the lowest cost HSI is $19.95 a month. $3.00 less a month and it's 20 times faster.

The only reason to have dialup now is that you absolutely cannot get DSL due to your location.

If this is true in CA, I am sure I can talk Harlan into it.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 am

Huh. Go figure. Just checked the AT&T website. No DSL available.

Perhaps DirecTV satellite. I believe they're already DTV subscribers...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:47 am

DirecTV Internet sucks and is generally used by farmer and hermits that can't get a phone line. The speeds are atrocious and god forbid you have to upload something because I think that comes through the phone line or something equally 1990.

That info is like 9 months old, so maybe that's changed.

but I can't BELIEVE DSL is not offered in Sherman Oaks. Should be fairly universal by now in major urban areas.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

admin wrote:DirecTV Internet sucks and is generally used by farmer and hermits that can't get a phone line. The speeds are atrocious and god forbid you have to upload something because I think that comes through the phone line or something equally 1990.

That info is like 9 months old, so maybe that's changed.

but I can't BELIEVE DSL is not offered in Sherman Oaks. Should be fairly universal by now in major urban areas.

Could be he's more than 12000 feet away from the CO, at which point they won't offer it because of degraded service levels.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:27 am

Rick, so you are saying that Harlan lives in Sherman Oaks? ahhah.

Return to “General”