McAfee Stinger as a Virus Cure

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

McAfee Stinger as a Virus Cure

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I've got an older Norton works set up now, mainly for the speed-disk and win-doctor stuff though. Active checking is disabled, the box itself is not directly connected to the web, and experience dictates that all norton things must get removed before some games will operate at a tolerable level. If a virus does get in--possibly on a cruzer; through a library-downloaded driver or something--then the latest McAfee Stinger can generally be relied upon as a solution.

Always clean out that spyware, too, that's my ad-vice.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:40 pm

Here here.

Kill the beast. Spill its blood.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

K. M. Kirby

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:55 pm

For the record, those hamsters will definitely do their little hop on a pocket pc in a wifi web-hole. But as you may guess, other dangers lie in wait for the unwary user of pocket windows. A typical hookup, in a zone busy with source signals, requires at least one soft reset, several uses of the memory deleting tool, and a couple of switcher bar exits from pocket internet explorer. In some cases, websites will remove i.e. from the switcher bar, thus forcing another reset.

All those activities, without mentioning the occasional interruption of the coffeeshop's connection by other competing signals, combine to make basic email checking into something approaching a contact sport.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 pm

That's a major reason I use an EVDO card.

I don't trust coffeehouse bandwidth -- not from a security standpoint but because of reliability.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Barber, when you can, explain to us how you fixed Harlan's computer?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:47 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, when you can, explain to us how you fixed Harlan's computer?

It involved a ballpeen hammer and repeated smacks of my forehead against the keyboard.

No?

Okay, on consecutive days we drilled deeper into the database, starting with something as simple as doing a defrag and checking for undeleted temp files. When this improved but did not fix the situation -- the computer being obscenely slow enough that even those simple steps took a couple of hours -- we began hunting and deleting files. The Adaware profile hadn't been updated in quite a while, so that little download took another hour, finding lots of nasty little markers along the way. Still not enough. A registry file check turned up well over 700 deletable files, which were made gone. Still not enough.

I brought in my friend who ran a variety of hunt and kill programs, eventually hunting and killing a bit too much, which caused still more problems along the way. We fixed those, and tried deleting and reinstalling their internet access program, but since a good portion of the program needs to be downloaded (on a dial-up connection), an hour in we decided that was going to take too long. Through it all, we kept getting Norton interrupting and scanning everything we were doing, even though it had -- supposedly -- been deactivated by my friend.

Finally, Susan and I decided that Norton just simply had to go. That step -- uninstalling Norton -- took an hour and a half. I kid you not. Three quarters of the way through the uninstall the program froze, requiring a restart of the removal.

Then, with Norton dead, we reloaded their internet access program, which started right up. It accessed the internet, and even though it took forever to reload the online portion of the database we were able to run other programs and generally use a computer like it ought to be used. It responded immediately for the first time in months according to Susan, which -- to me -- meant that Norton had been the culprit all along.

So...hope that answers the question. A lot of dead time talking while the programs did their things. The only problem created by the dial up connection was in reloading the access program, everything else was simply the result of an overwhelmed processor.

But it work real good now.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:36 am

If you're not betraying a confidence what kind of computer sytem does HE have? Just curious.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 am

Not really. It's a PC, running Windows.

*shrug*

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm

I hope to God that you mentioned Firefox.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:18 pm

What does the old Clint Eastwood movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083943/

have to do with Harlan's computer? :twisted:
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:48 am

Not really. It's a PC, running Windows.

Probably has a monitor and a keyboard too huh?

I've always been fascinated by the dichotomy between HE's adventurousness in all other aspects of his life and his utter reactionary attitude towards computers. (Nor do I dispute his right to be so.) However I suspect at this point he has elevated his prejudice to a principle and thinks his rejection of them new fangled computers is an attempt to stave off a fast encroaching barbarism. This from a man who has spent a goodly chunk of his life working in TV!

Age and general orneriness can't explain it. My Dad got his first system when he was seventy and has gone through three systems to date never looking back. He desktop publishes newsletters for his church and for his local Iris society and I smell a website in the not too distant future.

I suppose the genesis of my original question about HE's system was the speculation that his distaste if not generated was at least augmented by owning a piece of crap system. As any musician will tell you having a fine instrument encourages performance.

Jes' wonderin'.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:01 am

Wait a fucking minute, your dad goes to church, but you ride my ass!!

Gotta love you Ez.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:16 am

Harlan uses his typewriter.

Susan and Harlan's assistant use their computers.

The one what went wonky is the only of the lot to be connectable to the 'net.

More than that (and probably including that) would be invasive of their privacy.

:wink:

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:52 am

Understood. Next time HE goes on a rant about the evils of the Internet though I'm going to send him a quill pen and big ole bottle of ink heh heh heh.

Frank I've commented ad nauseum that most of my family are Southern Baptist fundamentalists.

And if I do "ride your ass" (unpleasant image that) it's because I can sense the good in you and hope to turn you from the dark side...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:05 am

If Harlan gets a payout on this suit he needs to get a wireless router with DSL and one of those new super-slim macbooks. You could do this for around a grand plus probably $15-25 more a month.

I think he and Susan would fall in love with this. I have seen their computer setup and where it is situated in their house and without invading their privacy it's basically like having your computer be as convenient to use as, say, the washer and dryer in your basement.

It would be really nice for Harlan to be able to post on the Art Deco Dining Pavilion FROM the Art Deco Dining Pavilion...

Return to “General”