Spreading the word on the Star Trek complaint

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Damn. That second sentence should read "First you say that seeing STAR TREK XI or whatever they're calling it would be hypocritical because it puts money in the pockets of Paramount."

Steve pleeeeez release the edit function, I beg of ya. 15 minute time limit, maybe.

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Sorry John, that's above my pay grade...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
Ezra Lb.
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:02 am
Location: Washington, DC

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:27 pm

John said

Ezra, god bless ya, but you keep moving the goalposts. First you say that refusing to see STAR TREK XI or whatever they're calling it would be hypocritical because it puts money in the pockets of Paramount. Then you say "Just because I don't go to see a movie doesn't mean I'm boycotting it, it just means I didn't go see the movie," which is utter nonsense because your stated reason for not going is to keep money out of the pockets of Paramount. Good god man, what the hell do you think the term "boycott" means?

No what I said was

I have no intention of seeing the "new" movie. To be honest however I had made this descision before I heard about the lawsuit. I was a little kid who was blown away by the original show but it's FORTY years later and I for one am bored shitless by pointy ears and self-congratulatory pseudo-profundities and dilithium (sp?) ethics and an infantile view of a future that will never come

A boycott is an organized attempt to encourage others to avoid a product because of some grievance. I stated in the clearest possible terms that I will not go to the movie because I am not interested. I did state that I thought there was hypocrisy involved in patting Mr Ellison on the back and then supporting the corporation that's screwing him.

I plead guilty to that.

...because who the hell said anything about money being magically funneled to good guys?

Well you're right here. That was better directed at Josh who seems to think he's working for the good Paramount while Mr Ellison is getting fucked by the evil Paramount. (There was this ion storm when they were going through the transporter you see...) I suppose he has to make that kind of rationalization because he's in the biz. Making a point of his fellow writer's situation might be a rapid road to unemployment.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm

Ezra is right, you cannot have a one man boycott. Boycotts have to be organized by a group or groups of people. One man not buying a ticket is just one man not buying a stupid ticket.

I wouldn't go because I loath spaceship movies of all kinds, instead of Alien, 2001 and AI.

Space vehicles roaming around in deep space bore me.

I won't go to any Paramount movie until the suit is over. No boycott, no boycott!!

But I will see the film for free online if it is too good to miss. haha.

Alan Coil
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:21 pm
Location: Southeast Michigan

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:34 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Ezra is right, you cannot have a one man boycott.


Huh? What, now? But there are days when I boycott your posts. Dat count?

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:54 am

This is why you are in the minor leagues, boyo.

User avatar
Faisal A. Qureshi
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 4:24 am
Contact:

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:01 am

admin wrote:So if any Trekkies are reading this I want to point out that I personally have never sued or attacked Paramount, Gene Roddenberry, Pocket Books, William Shatner, Professor X, the Quantum Leap Guy, that XXY chick from that other series, or that bald-headed black dude from Deep Space 9.


Yeah, pissing off Trek fans is far dangerous than messing with a Ayatollah.

User avatar
Steve Evil
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:22 pm
Location: Some Cave in Kanata
Contact:

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Barber wrote:JohnE - That's a prevalent attitude, I'm afraid. I recently shot a wedding (which I try never to do, but this was as a favor to a friend). One woman decided that she would "rib" me about how her point and shoot was taking photos every bit as good as mine,and that maybe she ought tobe paid. At one point she actually said "it's such as easy job!"


I understand, if not feel, your pain. I've been taking pictures all my life, and none of them have ever turned out. Photography ain't no job for a dummy!

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Steve Evil wrote:
Barber wrote:JohnE - That's a prevalent attitude, I'm afraid. I recently shot a wedding (which I try never to do, but this was as a favor to a friend). One woman decided that she would "rib" me about how her point and shoot was taking photos every bit as good as mine,and that maybe she ought to be paid. At one point she actually said "it's such as easy job!"


I understand, if not feel, your pain. I've been taking pictures all my life, and none of them have ever turned out. Photography ain't no job for a dummy!


It's not even that, it's that everyone who ever focussed a camera feels they now are artists -- and some of them are right! But, it's akin to "hey, I wrote something in WordPerfect the other day. It was good, so therefore I am a Writer."

But...
As we say in LA: "Everyone's an artist. It's finding them a media that is the challenge."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:03 pm

Postby admin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 pm

John E Williams wrote:Steve pleeeeez release the edit function, I beg of ya. 15 minute time limit, maybe.


I used to have an edit function - unfortunately one of the more prolific posters here got mad at me and used the edit function to delete every single one of his posts back to the Bronze Age.

Phpbb does not have a time-limited edit function as part of the standard package - if someone can find an easy-to-install addon that seems to be being kept up-to-date, I'd look into installing it. Otherwise with my dumb ass trying to get it working and the chance I would screw up the database....it's just too big a risk. And I am *not* turning it back on without that limit...

cynic
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 3:55 am
Location: chicago

Postby cynic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 pm

i haven't made note of which ones,but some threads still allow the deletions of my own posts.
whats up with that?

User avatar
Duane
Posts: 1579
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:21 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Postby Duane » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:25 am

Sometimes you can delete your most recent post, but usually once you hit SUBMIT you're committed.

User avatar
FrankChurch
Posts: 16283
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 2:19 pm

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:59 am

Can I delete all of Mike's posts? hehe.

-----------------

Point and shoot--yea that camera art is sure enough deep shit.

Photogs are slugs. Wink.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:03 pm

Postby admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 am

cynic wrote:i haven't made note of which ones,but some threads still allow the deletions of my own posts.
whats up with that?


I believe you can delete (and maybe edit?) your own post until someone else replies to the thread. I think that's a good way to do it. I can't say for sure without making a test account because of course I can do everything.

Also, while we are complaining, I *really* wish people would make sure they have an actual working email before signing up to "watch" a thread. I get all the mail bounces back in my personal email when someone does this and the notification email bounces because their email address is something like IDONOTEXIST@TOTALLYBOGUSDOMAINNAME.COM.

cynic
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 3:55 am
Location: chicago

Postby cynic » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am

admin wrote:I believe you can delete (and maybe edit?) your own post until someone else replies to the thread. I think that's a good way to do it. I can't say for sure without making a test account because of course I can do everything.
yes,that is what i have assumed.i did wonder if a viewing would remove the capacity to delete.that would be reasonable as well.
at any rate,might that capacity be restored or added to the threads that do not presently have it?i have used it and at least one other has requested the capacity.
i can only hope we aren't the only ones who have had second thoughts on our posts.
your time spent on this service is appreciated.if edit function is something worth any of your time,all i can think of to assist is to survey forums/threads for active edit function,and will do so.
sincerely,mike


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests