Spreading the word on the Star Trek complaint

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Spreading the word on the Star Trek complaint

Postby admin » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Harlan has asked me to spread the word on the Star Trek complaint/lawsuit so I am turning to you guys.

The press release and complaint are on the top of the Pavilion. Best to use the word doc for the press release where possible.

If you want to post here and let me know where you're posting / promoting / discussing it, go for it. If you want to discuss the actual complaint please start a new thread so I can keep track of both separately.

Thanks guys...

- Rick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 am

How's your health Ricky?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:11 am

Doing okay - I feel a lot better and the pain is minor now.

Of course, I am not allowed to jump, run, pick stuff up over 5 lbs, do anything requiring twisting or bending at the waist with any sort of force behind it until I am cleared for the fusion being complete - which should be late May to early June. So it's possible once I start doing that again the pain will return, which is kind of scary. According to the doc though, at that point I should be 100%.

It fucking SUCKS for spring to be here and to not be able to DO anything. This is the time of year I start running, doing spring workouts, playing ultimate, etc. It is depressing as hell and that's probably causing me more health problems than the back issues. :)

Still, I consider myself extremely lucky considering where I was three months ago...

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:30 pm

I ripped my ACL (playing Ultimate, of all things), and it took about four months for me to work the system at Kaiser to get to an orthopod who could make the correct diagnosis. Once the surgery was done, it was another six months of rehab and sitting on my butt when I wasn't doing rehab. Then it was a nice, slow, gradual ramping up before I got to the point where I could do all the things I liked to do without fear of wrecking my knee again.

It's been six years since then, and I'm back to my old self again, but all that sitting around and waiting was difficult. I feel for you, believe me.

About a month after my injury, and a few months before I knew the extent of it, I went hiking with some friends in Yosemite. Going up all those sandy, rocky stairs to Yosemite Falls wasn't too bad, but walking down them sideways because I had no support in my right knee meant that I got down long after everyone else had devoured the post hike pizza we had ordered at the restaurant.

It was painful not being able to play Ultimate, but it was far more difficult to not be able to go hiking and backpacking. I made it through that long, dark tunnel, though, and you will, too. Best of luck!

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Harlan's suing Star Trek! Woo Hoo!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Duane, now onto your mental health issue...

Sorry Rick.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:56 pm

Rick -
Where do you get those Hampsters? Off a webbuilder template???
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:26 pm

MMYYYYYYYYY mental health???? Harrumph harrumph harrumph... cough cough...

Harlan's suing Star Trek! Woo Hoo!

PS. Just read a post on the pavvy by someone (VanHise?) who knew Jerome Bixby, one of ST's more memorable writers. THAT was sad.

But honestly, I think Paramount would be a hell of a lot more respectful if more writers actually stood up and did something, instead of simply giving up in the face of a faceless corporation.

Which, I believe, is Harlan's point.

After all, how much money does it take to mail a dead hamster?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:55 pm

Barber wrote:Rick -
Where do you get those Hampsters? Off a webbuilder template???

harlan said "bring on the dancing hampsters" or something like that originally for something for KICK and I found this:
http://www.hampsterdance.com/hampsterclassics.htm

I think I am going to link the "HAMPSTER DANCE" text on the pavilion to this:
http://www.bigredcape.com/demoreel-hampsterdance.html

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:01 pm

I dropped the release onto the owner of this board:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=85612

I'm in that thread, mouthing off. :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Nothing on Locus yet. Surprised? Fucks.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 am

I have a question which I frankly don't have the guts to ask in the other place. This question should not under any circumstances be interpreted as a criticism, just wondering.

Why now?

What's the current situation that's different from the way it's been for 40 years?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 am

Ask Harlan, ya coward? lol

Maybe because the feeling of hate against corporate America is at its highest. It's the time to bring it down.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:I have a question which I frankly don't have the guts to ask in the other place. This question should not under any circumstances be interpreted as a criticism, just wondering.

Why now?

What's the current situation that's different from the way it's been for 40 years?

Um. Strictly a WAG, but there's this little movie coming out May 9th??? My guess is that he's been annoyed enough with Paramount because of all the little things going on (like books using his characters, the story contest using his characters, the audio, blah, blah, blah) that Paramount is essentially thumbing their nose at his rights.

So, he's hitting 'em where it hurts, which is bad publicity before the new movie.

SWAG Central
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:38 am

Well yes I considered that of course but a lawsuit will take years and will the lawsuit prevent any of you from going to see the movie and thus tacitly if not explicitly supporting Paramount?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”