"Israel!" "Is Not!"

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

"Israel!" "Is Not!"

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Knock yerselves out.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Is Too!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm not going to talk about this anymore. Nobody cares anyway.

Kill all the arabs, fine.

Back to comic book talk. My head.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:44 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I'm not going to talk about this anymore. Nobody cares anyway.

Oh, so now that it is not on the main page where Harlan can see it, you aren't interested anymore?

Quit tryin' to impress the Schoolmarm, Frank.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Let's use this thread for funny comments.

Ezra wears funny underwear. Darwin's picture on the crotch part. Yum.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm

"Kill ALL the arabs(sic)"

Yeah...yeah, that's EXACTLY what we're about!

If that's what your tunnel vision precludes, occludes, and deludes, so BE it!

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE----ZUS!!!!!!!!!!

Frank, your phony soapbox aside, YOU have a "problem". If you had the guts to talk about it, you'd most likely gain more from the time you spend on this board.

I ain't gonna add another thing to THAT.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Rob, let's be serious for once. These people had mothers, fathers, sisters, they were loved. Now they are dead. Somebody has to speak for them, for their worth, their humanity. They cannot be easily dissected pawns in a cheap political game. They matter, that's all I'm saying.

Nobody in America speaks for them. At the Tavis Smiley event in LA the forum guests spoke about Gaza, because black Americans understand apartheid and what that does to human beings--the desparation it brings. Desparation leads to violence.

You give a people dirt roads, while you give the others good roads. You cut off their access to water, to electricity, to standards of decency. What Israel did to the Palestinians is similar to what we did and are doing to the Iraqis. Why the Iraqis fight is why Hamas fights. They use awful tactics, but desparation and poverty does that. If it were us we would do the same thing.

In Iraq, petrol went up to twenty dollars a gallon! You had eight hour lines of traffic waiting to gas up. People either missed work or had to get up early to wait the eight hours, or they paid black market prices that were double. How many people in a poor country can afford to pay fourty dollars a gallon for gas? Imagine if our gas prices shot up to twenty dollars. We complained about four bucks. There would be blood in the streets. Even Yuppies would be firing uzis. Desparation turns people bad.

All I want is Israel to abide by the same rules all other countries must follow. They do that and Hamas will wilt like daisies.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Soapbox, yes, but at least I use soap. haha

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Rob, let's be serious for once. These people had mothers, fathers, sisters, they were loved. Now they are dead. Somebody has to speak for them, for their worth, their humanity. They cannot be easily dissected pawns in a cheap political game. They matter, that's all I'm saying.

Nobody in America speaks for them. At the Tavis Smiley event in LA the forum guests spoke about Gaza, because black Americans understand apartheid and what that does to human beings--the desparation it brings. Desparation leads to violence.

You give a people dirt roads, while you give the others good roads. You cut off their access to water, to electricity, to standards of decency. What Israel did to the Palestinians is similar to what we did and are doing to the Iraqis. Why the Iraqis fight is why Hamas fights. They use awful tactics, but desparation and poverty does that. If it were us we would do the same thing.

In Iraq, petrol went up to twenty dollars a gallon! You had eight hour lines of traffic waiting to gas up. People either missed work or had to get up early to wait the eight hours, or they paid black market prices that were double. How many people in a poor country can afford to pay fourty dollars a gallon for gas? Imagine if our gas prices shot up to twenty dollars. We complained about four bucks. There would be blood in the streets. Even Yuppies would be firing uzis. Desparation turns people bad.

All I want is Israel to abide by the same rules all other countries must follow. They do that and Hamas will wilt like daisies.

In this, Frank, you're absolutely right. All of it. Your best post to date, in fact.

I think the point everyone has been making however is that Hamas has been bad for the Palestinians, as has the government of Israel for the Israelis.

Innocent blood spilt all around.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Frank, you know I'm with you on this one. But I couldn't resist the intial pun.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 am

KOS, so you think you'll get a story published in F&SF before I do? Ha. Game on.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm

KOS won't come in here. He is cowardly.

See if that works.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:07 pm

What makes the Israeli/Palestinian problem unfixable is that the religious fanatics on both sides have veto power over every move the politicians make.

I will not choose between two equally disgusting groups of death worshippers.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:12 pm

We support one side, that's the point, goof.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Ok, I will play along.

You say Hamas rejects Israel? Two examples to scotch your apples:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1035414.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/ja ... lestinians

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/1999/452/re6.htm

Three sources, hell, the New York Times only uses 2. I'm good.

Return to “General”