The 25 Things About Me Facebook meme

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:30 pm

We don't do humor well? Explain.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:34 pm

I was just teasing you for giving me grief about my earlier misspelling.

However, I defy you to name any good German comedians....
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Don't ever tease me again for teasing you, or I will tease harder.
I take the second line to be teasing as well. That makes it completely unsuccessful and thus makes you look stupid.

Dwight Schrute

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:01 pm

In a desperate attempt to bring this topic back on track and away from non-existence of German comedians, here is an article from the NY Times about the Facebook 25 Random Things meme:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/fashion/05things.html
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:58 pm

markabaddon wrote:Gwyn and David,

I would suggest you read the book The Omnivore's Dilemma, the authour does some great work on examining some self-sustaining farms, the ogrnaic foods industry, and some rather surprising connections between big agriculture and the oil industry.

Read it nearly a year ago with my book group, Mark. We meet for dinner together and often bring dishes appropriate to the book, so several wags brought McDonald's chicken mcnuggets, Frito's corn chips and the like that evening.

Haven't read his smaller followup, which poses more solutions for the individual eater, as I understand it.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 pm

markabaddon wrote:In a desperate attempt to bring this topic back on track and away from non-existence of German comedians, here is an article from the NY Times about the Facebook 25 Random Things meme:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/fashion/05things.html

Interesting that the guy reports a possible origin was a "100 Random Things" challenge back in the 90s. I've posted 16 + 25 + 25 so far on my Facebook page, which totals 66, and I'm 11 items into my next 25, so I should hit a hundred in a month or so.

Somebody in my Facebook circle posted a nasty essay from Slate or Salon about all the things she's sorry she learned from such lists. But nobody held a gun to her head and made her read them. And she's doing a usual journalistic shtick about acting superior about something just because she didn't catch it before the trend crested.

I've already done several OTHER lists on Facebook that have circulated my way: Questions for Theatre Types, and Questions About High School (that one's written but not posted yet; I've got other content up, such as my 2008 Reading List and essay, that I want people to have a chance to digest).
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Gwyneth M905 wrote:
David Loftus wrote:I'm a "big picture" economic vegetarian. I don't avoid meat for sentimental, ethical, or moral reasons, but because Western meat consumption is hastening the destruction of the planet.

Very good point, David! I believe that we should stop subsidizing the huge feed lots and battery farms. If consumers had to pay the real price for grass fed, free-range meat, not only would consumption drop precipitously, but my guess is that obesity would as well.

That's only a small, local part of the picture, Gwyn. I was thinking more in terms of how meat eating is destroying so much rain forest (i.e, oxygen factories, exotic animal and plant habitat, etc.) and farmland overseas.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 pm

OK, you have talked to Gwyn enough, David. If you take her away I will never read your egomaniacal lists!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:55 pm

"I was thinking more in terms of how meat eating is destroying so much rain forest (i.e, oxygen factories, exotic animal and plant habitat, etc.) and farmland overseas."

As someone who once worked for the Orangutan Foundation International, I can tell you a lot about the rainforest destruction, and that of a gentle, intelligent indigenous species facing the brink of extinction.

In such cases, eating meat isn't the end - and I suspect you know this - as much as poaching (which includes illegal logging, and illegal gold mining, the latter requiring removal of trees) to sell animal parts where the markets are popular. The latter remains a problem everywhere. If it isn't fur it's tusks; if it isn't tusks it's hands and feet!

For a dominant species, humans are anything but noble.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:55 pm

robochrist wrote:

For a dominant species, humans are anything but noble.

Domination and nobility usually have nothing to do with each other robo, you just have to take a good look at things like colonialism to figure that one out!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Lori...take a number and stand in line with the crowd who doesn't get it.

What the fuck do you think I was getting at?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm

Aren't we Mr. Polite today.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Be nice to the few ladies who inhabit our particular sausage factory, Rob. Few are those who visit, and even fewer are those who choose to stick around.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 am

Lori's my baby, Rob, ease back.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:51 am

robochrist wrote:Lori...take a number and stand in line with the crowd who doesn't get it.

What the fuck do you think I was getting at?

*ahem*

I'm back in town Rob -- this was a little out of line.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”