The 25 Things About Me Facebook meme

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:23 pm

This is why I must beat Jan up. lol

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:38 pm

[snips]

Interesting how she skips every bit where she isn't mentioned. :)

C,mon Jan, you mean you didn't notice at the Burning Man party when my halter top fell off while dancing

I told to my psychiatrist friend about SF recently and he said the party must have been a hallucination and that we probably never left your apartment - what did I drink there, did I trust the people etc. He must have sent you the session transcript, that fool.

I pretended I meant it to happen, picked it up & swung it around my head, prompting others to do the same?

Naturally I was only watching you, in my hallucination.

You were lounging on the sofa right behind the dance floor...

Right! It all felt so real!

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:40 pm

This is why I must beat Jan up.

I'm shitting my pants already!!

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:41 pm

I suggest you start training so it'll be more fun for me.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:05 pm

Jan wrote:
[snips]

Interesting how she skips every bit where she isn't mentioned. :)

Yeah, ;) you know I left out #26. I am a raving egomaniac! And rightfully so!
:lol:
(Us chicks with small bewbies have to compensate somehow!) :cry:

David: I forgot to answer your question... An economic vegetarian is one who can't afford to buy meat, especially packaged in the quantities that it is in America.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Jan wrote:
G. de Lofutus wrote:I posted my second 25, and am half a dozen into my third.

That immedeately raises a question: Where?
Not that you would normally get this question but as SPIDER mod I have to be friendly and feign interest.

My lists are posted in the Notes section of my Facebook page, where all this 25 Random Notes traffic started and continues to race.

If you're not on Facebook yet, it's very easy to join.

If you are (and such luminaries as Keith, Barney, Rick, and Peg are, as well, so you can link up with them separately or through one of Ellisan fan pages on Facebook), then do a search for my email address and ask to "Friend" me, as they say.

Then you can see my Random Notes lists, my "Yep, I'm a Karaoke Nerd" essay, photos of me with Harlan, and other goodies.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Gwyneth M905 wrote:David: I forgot to answer your question... An economic vegetarian is one who can't afford to buy meat, especially packaged in the quantities that it is in America.

Ah. That's a new one on me.

They peddle it pretty cheaply in fast food places, though.

I'm a "big picture" economic vegetarian. I don't avoid meat for sentimental, ethical, or moral reasons, but because Western meat consumption is hastening the destruction of the planet.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:42 pm

David Loftus wrote:I'm a "big picture" economic vegetarian. I don't avoid meat for sentimental, ethical, or moral reasons, but because Western meat consumption is hastening the destruction of the planet.

Very good point, David! I believe that we should stop subsidizing the huge feed lots and battery farms. If consumers had to pay the real price for grass fed, free-range meat, not only would consumption drop precipitously, but my guess is that obesity would as well.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 pm

David, I'm with you THERE more and more.

I've narrowed my meat regimen to fish, because no way I can "stop cold". But with the same conscience you just described - as humans have far exceeded resources essential to survival - I feel there's a debt we owe this planet and the countless species we have pushed into extinction, and continue to do so, not to mention the lousy cruelty we subject livestock to.

BTW, you may have already been up on this, but I picked up only recently that Sarah Palin has been a supporter of killing the wolves in Alaska, even offering payment to shoot them from helicopter.

Before I saw her as a joke; now, I genuinely despise the ignorant bitch.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Loftus: It may be easy to join but it's not so easy to friend you, let alone find you.

I looked for the electric mail address, tried it, tried it again, tried it once more, looked at the complete lists of David's, and now it's 11:30 p.m.

I did find a David Barber, the guy Steve is said to be the evil twin of. Also found plenty of D.L.'s who refuse to publish their pictures or reveal where they live. The ones with pictures all look much too young.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Gwyn and David,

I would suggest you read the book The Omnivore's Dilemma, the authour does some great work on examining some self-sustaining farms, the ogrnaic foods industry, and some rather surprising connections between big agriculture and the oil industry

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:57 am

Jan wrote:Loftus: It may be easy to join but it's not so easy to friend you, let alone find you.

I looked for the electric mail address, tried it, tried it again, tried it once more, looked at the complete lists of David's, and now it's 11:30 p.m.

I did find a David Barber, the guy Steve is said to be the evil twin of. Also found plenty of D.L.'s who refuse to publish their pictures or reveal where they live. The ones with pictures all look much too young.

Are you signed on to Facebook with your regular email address? Send me that to my email and I should be able to find you.

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 am

Mark, a bad'un wrote:ogrnaic foods

Oh no, not another American fad. One day, soon, the world will stop following.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 am

Oddly enough I have started growning my own vegetables. And organically too. Not because of any ethos or drive to save the planet (I have been saving planets for many years, the garage is full of them now!), just that I thought they tasted a lot better.

I am not going in for large production, just a few potato plants, growing my own herbs for cooking with, chillis and a few carrots. But its fun, and doesnt atke up much room as theyre growing in troughs in a bit of spare garden that would otherwise not be used for anything. The only problem is trying to stop my cats from crapping in the compost :(

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Jan, Germans do not do humor well. Just sayin'.....

A number of my friends have started little herb gardens in the past few years (no, not those kind of herbs, basil, thyme and parsley, mostly) and I have certainly been able to tell the difference when I have used their stuff in my cooking.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “General”