Calling on the group mind...

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Calling on the group mind...

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Don't ask me to explain this one, but I wanna have Pink's Hot Dogs for dinner on my 42nd BD. Have spent the last few months trying to convince my father that helping me do this would be fun for both of us. He knows I don't drive, and on my current budget the hotel and bus trip aren't quite doable.

Here's where you all come in. I've about exhausted my powers of persuasion. I've tried explaining the chance meeting of a person who means a lot to me and the whole nine yards. Even promised to learn how to be a good motorbike passanger, so he had an excuse for an extended road trip. Neither of these have worked, and I'm fresh out of ideas.

Any and all help would be accepted and appericated also!

Lori

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Lori -
When is your birthday??
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Since I'm in my "avid cyclist" phase, a five day, 500 mile peddle along the backroads from SF to LA seems like it would be a lot of fun. Just sayin'.

Hmmm. Tandem bikes.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Barber wrote:Lori -
When is your birthday??

April 9th,
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Duane wrote:Since I'm in my "avid cyclist" phase, a five day, 500 mile peddle along the backroads from SF to LA seems like it would be a lot of fun. Just sayin'.

Hmmm. Tandem bikes.

Dude

You tryin to kill me before I even get there? I'm so outta shape, I'll hardly be able to sit on the back of my dad's GoldWing without getting tired out!!!!

Sounds to me like you may wanna participate in the AIDS lifecycle this year, they raise a lot of money for charity, and it's just the length you're talking about.

Lori

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Lori, now you're officially crazy - you know there are good hot dogs in and around San Francisco!!! Just make extra sure you find the very best and you won't have any regrets. Pink's isn't magic. Find the best place in your own area. Ask all the experts, read all the reviews.

Steve is a great help, isn't he. :lol:

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 pm

I think you should have helped Steve with the comic book nominations.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Jan wrote:Lori, now you're officially crazy - you know there are good hot dogs in and around San Francisco!!! Just make extra sure you find the very best and you won't have any regrets. Pink's isn't magic. Find the best place in your own area. Ask all the experts, read all the reviews.

Steve is a great help, isn't he. :lol:

Hey Jan

I never claimed sanity, so sue me! All I know is that Harlan and I aren't getting younger, and if I want a chance to meet him it's gonna have to be one that I make for myself.

And I'm not going to disparage Steve quite yet. He may have something up his sleeve.

*S*
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:51 am

chance to meet him

Oh, didn't catch that. :oops: What's the matter with me?!
Sounds less crazy but still crazy.
If Pink's doesn't work out, you should go down end of May when Harlan does his personal film festival and let Harlan know slightly in advance. And who knows, maybe Gwyn goes down too. It'll be easy to meet him then. (Be careful not to run into Steve though. He's the guy with the camera.)

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:52 am

He may have something up his sleeve.
Nah. :twisted:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 am

That's my Jan, always with the confidence booster.

Lori - Couple of suggestions, depending on your pater's interests. Events during that general time of year include the Long Beach Grand Prix (April 15th-ish); a post-impressionist Renoir exhibit at LACMA (through May 9); it will be springtime at the Huntington Gardens in San Marino; it will be his daughter's birthday.

I would find something that interests him (Griffith Observatory? The Bradbury? Malibu?) and agree to go see that as long as you get to meet a few friends for lunch (or whatever).

Most importantly, tell him how very cool and important this would be to you. I'm sure you have, but reiterate it. And again. And again.

Flutter those big brown eyes (blue, green? Can't tell from the pictures I've seen).

I know, not terribly original or brilliant, but some ideas nonetheless. Would love to meet you.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:46 am

Bite a dog for me sister.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:58 am

hey lori,
YOU CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN BABE!(it is babe isn't it?)
the greydog will drive you roundtrip for under $75(7 day advance ticket)without discounts(student card will get you one).

IF you stay two whole glorious days, $70 would get you a NICE room.a dive (if such a thing exists in la.) would be less.

if you salt away a buck a day for the next 90,you can spend the day,and blow $15 at pinks!

salt $2 a day and you'll get 2 amazing days and perhaps as many as a dozen of pinks best (no chili).

i don't know you from eve,but i know you can do this thing.

luv,mike
p.s.the $5 for my beer will start you off

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:59 am

Gotta have chili, ya gimp.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:36 am

i'm on a budget here frank,don't tease the handicapped.

you can be such a rude fellow.

Return to “General”