Hey Mark.....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

Hey Mark.....

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:47 pm

.... Harlan's reply to your question is a big reason why I don't post in the Pavilion much anymore. Your Lovecraft question seemed perfectly innocent to me.

I don't want to be of "those guys" who deliberately incurs Harlan's wrath, but it seems to me that if it's true that there are people who believe something isn't history unless it happened directly to them, then it isn't AUTOMATICALLY true that someone who asks a question Harlan doesn't like gets lumped in with that group.

Of course, you may not have taken offense at all; in which case, please disregard the above, and I'll gladly lump myself in with Harlan's little category.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:24 pm

second that,can never tell when you'll touch a nerve.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Harlan is in a bad mood, nothing new. He was just saying that he can change his mind later, as we all can. Maybe he was misquoted, who knows.

Rememeber I once made that comment where I wondered why Harlan capped on Back To The Future. Harlan later opined that he liked the movie and didn't remember saying that he hated it, even though the proof was his comments about the movie in print. He said that he didn't remember, later saying he was sorry.

He just likes me more. haha.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Guys. Maybe just a bad day. We all have them.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:10 pm

True; maybe I'm having one myself. Nothing to see here...

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 pm

move along...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:34 pm

He got into Rick's morphine.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but isn't it a bit tacky to talk about someone as though they aren't there, even though they're there?

It's just conversation, i'm sure they're fine....
The medium is the message.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

My first real encounter with Harlan in the Pavilion consisted of him whalin' on me over some Groth lawsuit-related crap I had posted, and I mean the guy really Harlan'd on me pretty good over several posts for awhile there... until he realized he had completely misconstrued my point, wherein he proceeded to apologize to me, profusely and publicly. So, y'know... the guy is indeed human. He's also Harlan Ellison, so you kinda expect him to be rather Ellisonlike; otherwise it wouldn't be half as fun to engage him, now would it? And anyway, I think he made it clear in his post to Mark that he wasn't going after him personally.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 pm

I don't think Harlan sounded cranky. He even said something to the effect of 'no offense'.

I'm also not surprised Frank thought Harlan was in a bad mood after Harlan ripped him a fourth a$$hole recently. Feelings hurt, Frank?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:49 am

Harlan's views on the middle east are beyond nutty, so I didn't take his chew out with anything but love. I actually enjoy a good Ellison crankfest. I find it funny.

I just defended Mark on the Pavvy. We will see what we will see. hehe.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Frank, you're cruising for a banning. Lay off it.

I went back and read Harlan's response to Mark. It was neither grumpy nor rude. It was just Harlan saying he really is tired of people asking him about things he once said decades ago, things which barely had any significance then, and surely less now.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 pm

Just getting back into the swing of things after a couple of crazy days at work so let me say that I was not offended by Harlan's post. I was a bit surprised that it sounded like a brushed a nerve and worried that I might have unwittingly upset him, but I did not take it personally (and Harlan was specific in saying it was not a personal attack)

To Alan's point, I can see where Harlan would get annoyed at being questioned about offhanded comments from 3 decades ago. If Harlan had said that this particular story he was commenting on was the equivalent of some of Lovecraft's best, I would have thought nothing of it and would have inquired no further.

However, he said that it was the equal of the the only 3 Lovecraft stories that could be described as excellent. With that specific choice of words, I though Harlan had some clearly defined position on the greatest Lovecraft stories and it piqued my curiousity since I am a big Lovecraft fan

As I said elsewhere, I do appreciate the kind words and the defense (even if unnecessary) but seriously no big deal and I ain't offended
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm sure that if we heard the words spoken in person by our gracious host, we would have seen the patience of Job in his heart, and the love of Mother Teresa in his eyes. That's the one dimensional aspect of teh intertoobs for you; even as gifted a writer as Harlan can get misunderstood by a mook like me.

BTW, the main reason I don't post much in the Pavvy is because I don't have a lot to say....

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am

...the main reason I don't post much in the Pavvy is because I don't have a lot to say....

Never stopped me...

And as a frequent critic of Lovecraft (or more accurately of considering him as some sort of great writer), let me chime in...

Colour Out of Space

The Silver Key

The Outsider

All "anthology worthy" as the LitCrits say...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “General”