Whatever

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Whatever

Postby kevinkirby » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:12 pm

If ancient history is any indication, the future of America/Israel in the Middle East could possibly be predicted with a single word: "Whatever."

Whatever is most atrocious thing one could imagine there, it will probably happen at some point. But just as an abstraction, a way of looking at our future politics in a region where there can be no solution, I present the following: an ongoing, isolated situation which may be used as a "timeless" microcosm and metaphor:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/cy.html

The place: a Greek island that was never quite taken over during the great Turkish expansion of the previous millenium. To this day, a line must be held between one side and the other, and neither can quite agree upon what it all means. It will be this way always, and whatever we can imagine happening between the two...it probably will, at some point.

Not a mixing pot, here. More like a distinction in definition, like the variance between solids, liquids and gas; what we have here is comparable to an interaction between matter and antimatter.

If one has use of the result -- a gamma ray burst -- then the control of such reactions could prove quite profitable. But, as it works out today, the only ones making book in these environments are the weapons merchants. Our old friends...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:16 am

The Turks tend to have light skin, so there is that difference.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:45 am

You had me up until the gamma ray bursts. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 pm

You are on a tear today Dylag.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Cyprus has been rather calm for a while now. Before I was laid off, I was planning a summer cycling trip that would take me from the Greek side into Nicosia and through Rizokarpaso (eastern peninsula). Visas into northern Cyprus are (as of this typing, at least) available at the gates.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Duane wrote:Cyprus has been rather calm for a while now. Before I was laid off, I was planning a summer cycling trip that would take me from the Greek side into Nicosia and through Rizokarpaso (eastern peninsula). Visas into northern Cyprus are (as of this typing, at least) available at the gates.

I thought you had a new gig, Duane. No?

(Or are you suffering from that same "new employee" &%$#ola that I am?? Only one week until the first anniversary?)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:57 am

And where does he get the salad to afford to bike in Cypress? Try Bermuda, Duane, I hear it's a hoot.

I thought you conservatives didn't exercise. Thinking it was some liberal plot to get us off the sofas, since shopping is the only religion.

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Nope, no new gig yet. I'm being a bit selective of what I'm applying to, but progress is being made.

Frank, international travel can be expensive, but it's not THAT expensive. Round trip flights to Cyprus via London and Athens are running about $1500 now.

As for being in shape, well, I'll just leave any comparisons to if/when we ever meet face to face. THEN the push up contest will begin....

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:26 pm

>> And where does he get the salad to afford to bike in Cypress? <<

CYPRESS is rather cheap to get to. Just drive down the I-5 a piece....

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Duane wrote:>> And where does he get the salad to afford to bike in Cypress? <<

CYPRESS is rather cheap to get to. Just drive down the I-5 a piece....

Exactly. Bike to Long Beach, turn left just past the Orange County border.

Nice trees.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Harlan is really quiet.

Return to “General”