Diffusion of Responsibility

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Diffusion of Responsibility

Postby Barney Dannelke » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:29 pm

I had mentioned this a few months ago. My daughter and three other students won 1st prize in a national media lab experiment sponsored by The American Psychological Association where they were asked to use various media to prove - or disprove I suppose - certain well known psychological concepts or theories. The YouTube link that follows is a condensation of footage that could be posted on YouTube without waivers.

I'm posting it here because I am a "Dad" and because of the association to the murder of Kitty Genovese and that association with Harlan's story THE WHIMPER OF WHIPPED DOGS. I'd post it on the Pavilion but Harlan does not do YouTube because of connectivity issues.

There is a MUCH longer version (this is 3:29) with closeups of the child clearly "in distress" and footage of mothers doing things like turning their kids heads like lids on a jelly jar so that they would not see the child in distress, etc.

Everyone says they would behave differently. Everyone. I am NO better. A week ago I walked past a person on the street who was lying in such a weird posture the possibility that he might be dead occurred to me - and I kept walking because the alternative meant my whole day. I am NO better than these people.

- Barney Dannelke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mI_ear1Pf0
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Return to “General”