Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:22 am

That was the wrong one. This should be the video from yesterday.

http://www.clipsandcomment.com/2008/11/ ... r-16-2008/
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:05 am

Barney a question for you about that picture. The info on the profile page says

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 81 pixels, the height no greater than 81 pixels, and the file size no more than 10 KB.

How'd you get that big ole picture to post?

Hey if we can have a Jimmy or a Ronnie or a Dick (Tricky) then why can't we have a Barry?

Personally I've been needling my conservative friends and family members by calling the incoming prez President-Elect Hussein in mockery of you know who, Bush Limbo.

Here's my problem with video. Are we going to get to the point where our leaders must be sexy young thangs even without expertise (like our pop music pantheon is full of sexy young thangs with no discernable talent)? Sometimes you gotta hire the fat bald old guys with unrecordable voices who make lousy videos just because they are the ones who know something about what they're talking about.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 pm

I getcher point, Ez, but I have to say I've kinda enjoyed the increasing amounts of eye candy on the symphonic stage -- not only the touring soloists, but just plain old union members in the second violin section.

Last night's soloist was not so much eye candy as 3-D animated cartoon: Thomas Lauderdale of Pink Martini doing Gershwin's "Concerto in F" with the Oregon Symphony, fairly straight (so to speak), apart from the dancing feet, punching the air, whirling around to look at the orchestra, and sweeping arms. . . .
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Barney's the only eye candy in this room. Roarrr.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:01 pm

>>Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 81 pixels, the height no greater than 81 pixels, and the file size no more than 10 KB. <<

You post a link to the picture in the "link to offsite avatar" field in your profile. I've done it a few times with avatars that go a little beyond the 81x81 dimensions, but my experience with this board is that it's fragile and creaky, and I don't want to waste Rick's time by forcing him to deal with a board crash.

(Not commenting on anyone ELSE; I just know if IIII tried to stretch the boundaries too much, it would be my fault when the black hole opened up.... ;) )

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Duane sussed out what I did.

It's not staying. I'll be going to something smaller very soon. Probably tomorrow as I'm wiped out right now from some actual work with a sledge and a pick axe. A little too old for this shit.

- B

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Part of me wonders what would happen if I tried to upload the entire internet as my avatar....

(Back away... back away slowly...)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Barney I wasn't chastising you about the graphic, just curious. I may want to abuse my privilege some day heh heh heh.

I was going to wrap myself in the flag but Frank beat me to it.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:47 pm

I didn't get the sense you were.

I really only wanted that up for a few days and the lolchthulhu thing I tried to substitute it with deformed the formatting of the entire board - which is somehow appropriate I suppose.

In any case the shot of me with Pokey Lafarge (crooning) and a friend on the front porch of Christian's Spring at Oktoberfest will do nicely for now.

- B

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:15 pm

This is courtesy of the LA Times and Media Bistro;

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... uel-r.html

- Barney

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:09 pm

Some folks think Obama is the first coming.

Some folks think Obama is the second coming.

Well...here's another view...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/169192

Keep watching the skies!

http://raptureready.com/

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Ho-lee merde! Just read the comments at the bottom of the article. Jesus-pesus-mo-mesus. I just hope Obama listens to his Secret Service bodyguards. It's gonna be a perpetual full moon out there.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 am

It's merde like this that makes me hang my head in shame to be a Christian. Not all of us believe that abortion is always a bad thing, that same-sex marriage will "kill" traditional marriage (hasn't traditional marriage done a good enough job of doing that?), that there will be a rapture, that any non-Christians or non-believers will go sliding down the slippery slope to hellfire and brimstone.

President-Elect Obama is just a man with a very tough job ahead of him, and some very high expectations to meet. We'll all have to pitch in, as the WWII generation did, and make sacrifices if we're to pull out of this mess. We've got to help each other, and by doing so, help ourselves. If there's anything "Christian" to be pulled from the wreckage of what the U.S. has become under Bush IMHO it is this, "Do unto others, as you would have done unto you."
It's time for some compassionate liberalism to return.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:35 am

Gwynie, welcome to the rational Christian club. I too am a Christian, of the radical vein, obviously.

You have two kinds of Christians: the crucifixion, blood drinking sect--fundamentalist, evangelical wack jobs and us, the Sermon on the Mount, peace and love sect. I think I know who Jesus favors.

Jesus was a radical, killed by a criminal state.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 am

Gwyneth M905 wrote:If there's anything "Christian" to be pulled from the wreckage of what the U.S. has become under Bush IMHO it is this, "Do unto others, as you would have done unto you."

I think this may work a little more accurately, if paradoxically, when stated in reverse: Do not do unto others as you would not have done unto you.

Some people are perfectly happy to have other folks testifyin' and proselytzin' on 'em.

Others are not.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “General”