Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Even as we speak the Prez is appearing on the Sunday pundit shows whacking softballs into center field. One goober even asked who he liked in the World Series. Jeez...

Except Fox. No Prez for them. Too fair and balanced I guess. :P
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:59 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Except Fox. No Prez for them. Too fair and balanced I guess. :P

gee, and here I thought it was *him* snubbing *them* for the same reason.
swp

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Let Amy Goodman interview you Barry, see how good you are then.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Heard an item today in which the whole concpt of Fox as a news source is now in question. They seem to be leading the discussion instead of following. This seems to be a true assessment. Where other networks have opinionated pundits, Fox seems to establish a party line which is then repeated by GOP members. Kind of bass-ackwards.

What do they call it when television networks establish party policy instead of reporting it?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, that's "wag the dog" - and FOXes certainly have big enough tails for it. ;-)

heh heh heh...
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:56 pm

The Daily Show had great video, showing how Fox went after anti-war protesters the way they complain about us going after the tea party pukes. Jon Stewart is a gift and kudos to his Emmy.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 am

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/200 ... eheadlines

And this is just one that's obvious, on display for all the world to see.

I can't imagine the shit that gets mailed, phoned, or otherwise passed along that we won't know about until ten years after he's left the White House.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:50 am

I love this guy. Since we all need a laugh:

Yahoo News wrote:(Democrat Alan)Grayson, a first-term congressman from Orlando known for being pugnacious, delivered his health care remarks on the House floor last week.

"If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly," he said. "That's right. The Republicans want you to die quickly if you get sick."

He has refused to apologize, citing research showing that thousands of people die each year for lack of health insurance and that Republican health care plans wouldn't help them.

As Republicans threatened to try to reprimand him last week, Grayson continued insulting them, calling them "knuckle-dragging Neanderthals" and "hypocrites."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm

"knuckle-dragging Neanderthals I love." Palin's second choice for book title.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Now THAT's what this country needs: good old substantive debate.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:33 pm

David Loftus wrote:Now THAT's what this country needs: good old substantive debate.
david,
give it time. it might get even better.
perhaps the observation, "That's right. The Republicans want you to die quickly if you get sick.", will be followed, if not by a congressperson, by an equaly pugnacious "journalist", that "democrats would prefer we benefit from a pointless, prolonged death ".

the logic is inescapable.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:58 am

David Loftus wrote:Now THAT's what this country needs: good old substantive debate.

If you'd actually have watched that particular exchange -- several people posted the link -- you'd have noted that it DID service to bring a few people's heads down out of the clouds. If Grayson had made these comments out of the blue he'd be vilified, but it was quite the treat to see him make and reaffirm these comments on Wolf Blitzer's program -- which left the Republicans unable to substantively respond. It was very clear, at least to me, that he was giving them precisely what they have been giving the country in the healtchare debate, and they could not effectively argue.

He is rather strongly pointing out their hypocrisy and obstructionist politics, and in my case I thank him for it. Dems have been far too polite in this debate, and Repubs have been far too intransigent, refusing to act in a responsible democratic manner.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 am

Hyperbole should have meat. The maggots need substance, the flies need life.

The main problem with any debate in elite circles is that they control what the ideas are, mostly center-right ideas. Just to see Glenn Greenwald and Scott Ritter on MSNBC the other day was a joy to behold.

The Republicans support private healthcare. Private healthcare kills people--straight, no chaser. We all know by now that death is no joke or talking point, it's about as real as the breath on a mirror.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:54 am

What Grayson said was no worse - considerably better in fact - than what Republicans have been saying about Obama's plan. Anyone who fed the myth of nazi death panels has no business crying foul.

Return to “General”