Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Can anyone find me a link to the photo of Obama hugging the legless female vet that was on the cover of USA Today yesterday? I am having no luck and neither is my daughter.

Thank you - Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:56 pm

A blessing that will only mean something to the Jews and those of us who attend synogogue on a regular basis:

Barack atah Illinois,
Elohenu melech ha'olam,
hoo-ray p'ri ha-electoral landslide.
Amen
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David W. Pareis

Postby David W. Pareis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:22 am

Barney Dannelke wrote:Can anyone find me a link to the photo of Obama hugging the legless female vet that was on the cover of USA Today yesterday? I am having no luck and neither is my daughter.

Thank you - Barney

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... -dead.html

Your welcome
David
Anybody who needs Bob Dylan to tell him which way the wind is blowing is a serious mental defective.

Sterling Morrison

Pablo picasso never got called an asshole
Not like you
jonathan richman

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 am

Tammy Duckworth will be in his cabinet.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 am

*** David *** you pre-"your welcomed" - but Thank You. I saw that photo in an airport earlier this week and it was all I could do to keep from crying.

This guy isn't even "on the job" yet and he's already...

drums fingers on desk...

well, I just never got the impression Bush was doing anything other than going through the motions. Maybe he feels different in his heart but it sure never showed on his face. And that's not just Bush. I've felt the same about all the presidents until this guy.

That photo just destroys me. Thank you.

- B

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:37 am

Barney, real men cry in the dark. kiss

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Depending upon his presidency, that shot just might be a defining one for the ages.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

I hope so, I really really hope so. I don't want to be dissillusioned again.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:40 pm

President-Elect Obama's New Weekly Fireside Chats:

Today, President-elect Obama will record the weekly Democratic address not just on radio but also on video -- a first. The address, typically four minutes long, will be turned into a YouTube video and posted on Obama's transition site, Change.gov, once the radio address is made public on Saturday morning.

The address will be taped at the transition office in Chicago today.

"This is just one of many ways that he will communicate directly with the American people and make the White House and the political process more transparent," spokeswoman Jen Psaki told us last night.

In addition to regularly videotaping the radio address, officials at the transition office say the Obama White House will also conduct online Q&As and video interviews. The goal, officials say, is to put a face on government. In the following weeks, for example, senior members of the transition team, various policy experts and choices for the Cabinet, among others, will record videos for Change.gov.

Source: "The YouTube Presidency". Jose Antonio Vargas.
www.washingtonpost.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYVRzNkmvfc

Now, if we could only get Barry to wear a velvet smoking jacket, sit in front of an actual fireplace, and start off by having a copy of THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON in his hands, everything would be just perfect.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:48 am

Gwyneth M905 wrote:Today, President-elect Obama will record the weekly Democratic address not just on radio but also on video -- a first. The address, typically four minutes long, will be turned into a YouTube video and posted on Obama's transition site, Change.gov, once the radio address is made public on Saturday morning.

This is a smart move (one among so many, of course), to keep and add to that youth vote that helped put him where he is today.

Gwyneth M905 wrote:Now, if we could only get Barry to wear a velvet smoking jacket, sit in front of an actual fireplace, and start off by having a copy of THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON in his hands, everything would be just perfect.

Barry?! BARRY??!! Don't insult the man by whitewashing his name!
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 am

David,

I have an official Obama 2008 campaign button purchased at a rally that trades on that exact usage. While I'd certainly never address the POTUS that way, I'm guessing he has friends who do - even if it's tinged with irony and delivered with a big respectful wink.

Given the totality of his background and where he is this morning I'm guessing his shell is a wee bit thicker than that.

Also, the "Barry" remark is coming from someone who is presently be-decked in Indian garb (dot, not feather), :shock:
which depending on caste would give her some "white-washing" leeway I suppose. :D

- Barney

N*****please, PA.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 am

It's cool. I'm just joshing Gwyney.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Webside chats, you mean.

Sexy.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:55 pm

David Loftus wrote:Barry?! BARRY??!! Don't insult the man by whitewashing his name!

Hey, I'm down with that---I just want to hear him say, "People of America, this is your President, Barack Obama, coming to you live from the White House. And by the way, feel free to call me Barry."

Don't worry, David, I'm not trying to do a "Tom Sawyer" on President-Elect Barack Hussein Obama's name. :) It's just that he used to call himself "Barry" in college.

I think it's kinda cute. :wink:

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 am

Return to “General”