Barack Obama - 44th President of the US of A

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Six of the seven Newsweek installments are online now. I've read four and just printed the sixth. It's fascinating stuff.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:28 am

I genuflect in your general direction, oh Prophet of the Webderland.

So, who's gonna win the Superbowl?

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:18 am

I wonder if this will give better traction to more liberal reporting, on all issues.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks for the Newsweek link and the heads up. Looks interesting. I've printed it out and look forward to a good read over the rainy weekend.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Listening to Obama's press conference. 20 minutes. Used the expression "think it through" three times!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Yea, a 20 minute press conference. Not good.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Heard this poem Tuesday. Someone had it texted to their cell phone and decided to share it when asked.

Rosa sat so Martin could walk
Martin walked so Obama could run
Obama ran, now my children can fly.

Bout says it all for me.
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:22 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Yea, a 20 minute press conference. Not good.

Come on, Frank, give it a rest.

Too many of your posts here are sheer self-flattery, rather than any attempt to engage with ideas or other people.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:22 am

This is about the country, not self flattery. Obama has to heal us or we will suffer. In the end it is about others.

The rest of the world is very happy to see this transition. A good first step.

Puts his head on David's shoulder.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:13 pm

Maybe it will put to rest the lie that the rest of the world is anti-American. There were truly euphoric celebrations all over the world. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Obama needs to move that ball up to the goal line.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am

I finished the NEWSWEEK series last night. Wow! I think a Pulitzer is spoken for.

Interesting how the personalities of the candidates shaped their entire campaigns.

I remain cautiously optomistic about Obama. An intelligent self-aware person in the White House. How long has it been? So many things are beyond control but it will be an interesting four years.

I've never actually attended an inauguration but this time I'll go. Me and a kazillion other folks from the way it sounds. There are only 250,000 tickets distributed through our Congressmen so I won't hold my breath. But I'll go to the public free area. I'm sure it'll be a much better view at home on the tube but I just feel the need to be there, ya know what I mean?

Oh my brother and his son already asked to stay with me just in case anyone of you thought about asking, sorry.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:An intelligent self-aware person in the White House. How long has it been?

Eight years.

Twenty-nine (HUH? That long?), if you're inclined to argue Clinton was not particularly self-aware.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Yeah I would be so inclined.

Fascinating in the Newsweek series how the reality of the Clinton campaign was at odds with the image we have of her. No well oiled machine there!

Obama's smart but let's hope he's also lucky.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 pm

*** Frank ***

Did you REALLY have a problem with that press conference? Because I didn't. Could it have been longer? Sure. But the guy is still 70 days out from the job and although it's anathema for me to say it, he's not the president yet. Flip the script and we'd be pissed if a Republican were taking up even that much of the stage.

Moreover, there was a fair amount of CONTENT in those answers. Not bad for a first outing.

And finally I seem to recall Bush not giving ANY press conferences until he'd been on the job for awhile. I want to say two months but it's all a vague unpleasant memory. Certainly NEVER with that attempt of informing anyone of anything at all. More like, "Hi, I'll be your obfuscator-in-chief today. Brace yourself for bullshit."

I also expect to see a different model of press release going forward with short briefings and a much more HTML oriented White House website then what exists now.

And I've been pretty good with the predictions. :D

- Barney
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Return to “General”