History? Or not?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Forget it, Frank. Patty was ALL Marcie's. Marcie'd have used that maul on Lucy in a second, if she thought that Schroede-lust was just a cover.

You know what they say about the quiet, obedient ones ones....
The medium is the message.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:53 am

As a reminder of how incredibly gross mobsters can be, check out the image at this link. It's a mug named "Butch" Petrocelli who got offed in 1980 by his own gang. They tried to incinerate him but failed. This is what was left of him.

If you scroll down about half way, you get the pleasure of seeing his boot-i-ful face, before n'after.

Sopranos never had it THIS bad!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:32 pm

To Steve Barber:

Hey, Steve.

I liked your response in the Pav to my late night musings about New World societies.

I just have a couple of issues with it:

One, how is it "simpler" than any argument I posed?

Two, most of your points were expansions on what I'D said (e.g., the application of horses in the Old World, the nature of the terrain, etc).

Three, while your bullet points were on the money, I don't think they quite completed the picture because you'd have to account for why the same outcome appeared in tribal societies elsewhere (Africa, Polynesia).

That's why I think we HAVE to add written language to our factors. Wherever that feature developed - unifying populations regardless of cultural differences (Latin, of course, was the codification throughout Europe) - higher technology sprouted.

Having said all that, I realize those posts of mine were practically unreadable. The last two night for me were just REALLLLLLLLLLLY bad! I COULD not sleep! Particularly on that first night, when I was rollin' around like a maniac (if I'd had a girl with me, fine; I DIDN'T!). I didn't put much care into writing out or editing those posts. Still, it's embarrassing, especially when I'm genuinely intrigued by the topic. So, I'm going to make a better effort in the exposition no matter how messed up I feel.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:28 pm

He's actually cuter now. Notice, in death he is smiling. Neato.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Blagojevich genuinely moved me the other day in drawing parallels between himself and the likes of King, Gandhi, and Mandela.

Only a psychopath could move my bowels like that!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Insanity tends to be bi-partisan.

Return to “General”