History? Or not?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Steve Evil wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Hitchens has a great idea. The US should buy up all the poppies from Afghanistan, give the farmers the money, so they can transition to growing food crops instead. The poppies would be sold to Asia for pain drugs. Radical idea, but a good way to silence the Taliban without a shot.

Hey! That was MY idea. . .

Can't we just distribute the crop freely into the US -- after all, we paid for it?

"Poppies! That's it...poppies!!"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Barber wrote:Can't we just distribute the crop freely into the US -- after all, we paid for it?
"Poppies! That's it...poppies!!"

i think we already get our share.the"middle men"would be pissed to lose their share,and so would the d.e.a..

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:27 am

If they cared about the drug war they would check large sums of money being put into banks. They don't because they don't. A great, bloodless way to stop terrorism as well.

Dylag, I see you more as a huffer.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:28 am

Perhaps Steve B means to distribute them for the largest Veteran's Day event ever? :lol:
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 am

Hemptastic.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:29 am

Alan Coil wrote:This is because semi-literate people misuse words so often that the true meaning is lost. (And, no, I did not just call you semi-literate.)

Then you may like this:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15664_9- ... think.html

Just for a goof. Yes, it's that Cracked, but it's been overhauled by some collegey-smart-aleck-types.
The medium is the message.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Cracked has really changed since I was a kid.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Ditto. I must say though, perhaps my love of clowns came not from the scary movies I enjoyed as a tot, but from my dear and short-lived Obnoxio the Clown from CRAZY. Though I know its history, I never saw the mag before or since.

Just went and took a quick internet look-see down memory lane. Jesus, I was young.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:31 am

Paul, I see you more as a Zippy the pinhead type. kiss

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 am

9 words--

Nice link. I liked the Dick rating. Also liked that each word was presented by a female body.

Several months ago, Cracked did a crossover between Deadwood and Winnie the Pooh. It was funny, but...

Just. Not. Right.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15412_10 ... dwood.html

paul

Postby paul » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:50 am

I love Zippy, and I own quite a lot of Glen Baxter as well.

Get Fuzzy for the fun, Boondocks for the soul.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:13 pm

I read the David Michaelis bio of Charles Shulz last week -- lovely book; very sweet and sad.

Since "Peanuts" has become so commodified, recycled, and cuddly, it was good to be reminded of how radical and ground-breaking it was in the 1950s and early 1960s. One of my heroes, Jules Feiffer, was a big fan and in fact wrote Shulz a fan letter back in the 50s. Other top daily cartoonists were scratching their heads over what Shulz was doing. It was also comforting to read Shulz's remarks of utter contempt for "Garfield."

God, I miss Calivn and Hobbes.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:10 pm

this is the type of change most necessary to our governments health
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/opini ... ?th&emc=th
our legislature should adopt it as well

it's good to dream

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 pm

David Loftus wrote:I read the David Michaelis bio of Charles Shulz last week -- lovely book; very sweet and sad.

Unfortunately, the bio is flawed in a major way. Michaelis started with a premise, then formed the facts to support that premise. Many of the facts are simply wrong, which is completely unacceptable as he had access to the family after Schulz died. He could have had many of the errors corrected.

Michaelis claimed Schulz suffered depression, which is not true. He also claimed that Schulz's son said Schulz never wanted to do things with him when he was younger, something son Monte says just isn't so.

Michaelis set out to make a sensationalized account of the life of Schulz, facts be damned.

Here is a link where many of these things are discussed in depth, both by relatives and friends of Schulz.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/books/more-o ... chulz-book

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:45 pm

Next we will find out Peppermint Patty and Lucy were lesbian lovers.

Return to “General”