History? Or not?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:48 am

Obama will surely shake up the FCC.

Supreme Court babbee

I would assume a California court will throw out the Gay Marriage ban. Hoping.

The irony is that black Americans helped pass it. Blacks tend to be a bit homophobic.

---------------

Michelle Bachman, a convicted felon in Alaska get re-elected! We live in a strange world.

Al Franken cannot concede! Manual recount of those votes will give him a win--I can feel it. We need humour in the Senate.

---------------

McCain was real classy last night. I think he felt guilt over his campaign.

Palin is history.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:57 am

Frank, the only ones who will be retiring from the SCOTUS are moderates or liberals, Obama can stop it from becoming more conservative but will not turn it more liberal.

Franken is not conceding by a long shot, but I am not optimistic about his chances with a manual recount. Bachman represents one of the most conservative districts in the state and was running against a man by the name of Tinkleberg (is there a worse name in politics right now?). I was not surprised that she won

Palin is not going anywhere, sorry to tell you. She will be on the scene for the next 4 years in some capacity, whether it is as the face of conservatives or eventually on Fox News. She has enjoyed her taste of fame far too much to fade into the Alaskan wilderness
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Michelle Bachman, a convicted felon in Alaska get re-elected! We live in a strange world.

I concur. Marion Barry kept his seat in Ward 8 on the DC city counsel in a landslide.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:02 pm

mark,
absolutely,there's a lot to do,and picking his fights will prove the most difficult.

mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 pm

cynic wrote:mark,
absolutely,there's a lot to do,and picking his fights will prove the most difficult.

mike

re. fair. doc.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:53 pm

I believe in humanity again!

So many were predicting that the worst in human nature would reassert itself at the last minute, and prejudice, ignorance and fear would triumph yet again. But ever since I heard Obama's acceptance speech at the Dem. nomination, I had a funny little feeling that people wouldn't fall for it again.

"Not this time."

I ran to the pub where a bunch of US-expats (I think) were gathered and watched the acceptence speech there. No word of a lie, I cried. The klan, the creationists, the war mongers were all shunted to the side (Hitchens' analysis notwithstanding), and reason and decency won the day.

Stop me before I get my hopes up. But I figure, every once in a while, we're all entitled to a little optimism.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 pm

markabaddon wrote:I do not feel like making myself nauseous

Well, I certainly hope not, Mark. You're a nice guy, so it is likely that you cannot be nauseous.

Nauseous--causing nausea

Nauseated--having nausea

If one is nauseous, one is making others nauseated.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:33 pm

Please don't let him be another Bill Clinton.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Alan Coil wrote:If one is nauseous, one is making others nauseated.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous
sorry ,i had to look it up

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am

Hitchens has a great idea. The US should buy up all the poppies from Afghanistan, give the farmers the money, so they can transition to growing food crops instead. The poppies would be sold to Asia for pain drugs. Radical idea, but a good way to silence the Taliban without a shot.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 am

cynic wrote:
Alan Coil wrote:If one is nauseous, one is making others nauseated.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous
sorry ,i had to look it up

Look it up all you want, Mike, but I am right. :P

Nauseous is related to noxious. A noxious gas, a nauseous gas. Nauseous means nauseating.

Decimate means to reduce by 10%. But if you look in many dictionaries, you will find that it means the same as devastate. This is because semi-literate people misuse words so often that the true meaning is lost. (And, no, I did not just call you semi-literate.)

Elsewhere, it was said this week that 'arcade' just recently became associated with games because of video games. Not so. Even 40 years ago, the 'arcade' at the local county fair was where all the games were located.

Words change meaning, but they shouldn't. It is because of the dumbing down of our society that words change meaning so quickly. I, and many others, insist that we should fight against meaning change lest all meaning is lost.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:04 am

markabaddon wrote:Not sure if any of you have had Six Sigma training,...

Never has Six Sigma, but had SPC (statistical process control) training. It's my understanding that Six Sigma is basically the same thing updated for the US so that we wouldn't seem to be copying the Japanese SPC model.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am

Alan Coil wrote:Words change meaning, but they shouldn't. It is because of the dumbing down of our society that words change meaning so quickly. I, and many others, insist that we should fight against meaning change lest all meaning is lost.

I can't quite agree. For the most part, I suspect I fight against "slippage" in word usage as much -- or at least, nearly as much -- as you, Alan (I was aware of the nauseous/nauseated distinction, having noted that Woody Allen misuses the former on his "Nightclub Years" album 'way back in the early 1960s; it's the reference to the moth that partially swallowed one of his socks).

But change is inevitable. It's unavoidable. You are using words now that meant something different in Shakespeare's time, in Chaucer's time, and you may or may not be aware of all those distinctions -- just as most religious fundamentalists have NO IDEA their idea of "the family" is a relatively recent and short-lived phenomenon, and orthodox Jews are unaware of the fact that the practices they defend as "traditional" were innovations anywhere from 100 to 2000 years ago, and more.

The point is to be aware when the change is happening, and to try to stay abreast of those changes.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am

hey alan,
one of my few regrets is that i gave a websters two volume (late '40s early '50s edit.)dictionary to a friend,with two kids just starting school.i have noticed some changes in definitions,and it would be fun to explore them.

"props" to you (the first ,and possibly last, time i will use that term)for advocating the accurate use of language.

i knew your comment to mark was a compliment and a good natured tease,but language does change,inevitably,as do cultures and societies."meaning",the search for understanding and a "meeting of the minds",MAY only occur through the eventual evolution towards a common language.that REQUIRES change.i know we can keep up.

embrace the change,GIVE it meaning.

and now,back to something COMPLETELY different.

mike

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Hitchens has a great idea. The US should buy up all the poppies from Afghanistan, give the farmers the money, so they can transition to growing food crops instead. The poppies would be sold to Asia for pain drugs. Radical idea, but a good way to silence the Taliban without a shot.

Hey! That was MY idea. . .

Return to “General”