History? Or not?

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

History? Or not?

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 am

Alright guys, I don't have a television right now, so I'm expecting all of you to keep me informed right here. I never thought I would actually miss Wolf Blitzer.

Believe me, this is a tense moment even outside the US. The ramifications effect the whole world.

Now I know that this Obama guy is another politician, and I know that the system is run by and for rich folks, and I know that power corrupts, etcetera and so forth. But just this once, I am allowing myself "the audacity of hope". (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I am allowing myself to hope that this guy might actually achieve something positive in the world, that an eloquent and intelligent man in the white house might be a good thing. I will hope that the good guys might one day win the race-wars and a black dude in the white house might be a major victory, an El-Alemain if not a Stalingrad. I have allowed myself to join in the hype and will allow myself to join in the euphoria, because even if it's just symbolic, symbolism has its place.

I will join in because whatever the Democrats do in office, I will be glad to see the back of the current regime, its xenophobia, its superstision, its blind idiocy, its stunning hubris. I will glory in the pain of Limbaugh and Coulter and the jackals at FOX news. I hunger for it, I ACHE for it.

When it's all done, I will go right back to calling for revolution. But just this once, I'm allowing myself to get caught up and carried away.

People are entitled to that once in a while.

All this assuming the dark side doesn't triumph yet again!!!!! I don't even want to know how far the Cynical-metre will fall then.

History folks, HISTORY! Don't pass it up!

remarck

Postby remarck » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:35 am

At 6:30am, after waiting in line since 5:30am, I cast my vote for the Obama/Biden ticket, and Mark Warner (D) for the Senate.

Steve, like you I am hoping against hope. I am hoping that the rule of law and intellectualism repopulates the White House. After 7 years of Bush and Cheney calumny, I'm excited Democrats will have a chance again.

And I don't believe there is a better candidate than Obama. Having voted for Clinton in the primary last year, and having seen her defeated by Obama, I got back up and started to study him. At first, I was buying into the "experience" argument raised by Clinton, but I gradually came to realize that was a non-starter. Obama had a lot of experience and a track record, albiet a different one than many career politicians. I came to the conclusion that Clinton was beaten by a man who is is a smarter, more likable person, and a better politician than she.

I've been voting at Abingdon School in Arlington since 2004. Arlington is predominantly white, upper-middle-class, and Democrat. I was encouraged at the polling place to see more African Americans in line than I have ever seen previously. I also saw more young voters than ever before (by that, I mean specifically people in the 20-25 range) -- in previous years the voters tended to be the typical older white men and women of the area.

So I have my quiet hopes for an Obama win. I am not getting too enthusiastic about it, because, as I have posted somewhere before, I've only ever had ONE candidate win an election, and I have learned it doesn't pay to get too excited, especially since the 2000 debacle.

-Keith

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Steve I agree with you absolutely but here's why this will be history.

When the looooooooong line I was in had just about snaked through the the entrance to the NOAA building where the polling place was, I saw coming out of the building an old black man looking like he was in his 80s being helped along by what looked like his middle-aged daughter. He was feeble and leaning on her. But he was so proud, beaming.

I was just so filled with emotion. I thought, what was this country like when he was a boy? I'm going to be 50 next March. When I was a boy, in the little Georgia town I grew up in, the Klan still marched in the July 4th parade. The evil fuckers (some were my relatives) would ride in the back of a pickup and fire shotguns into the air waving that goddam flag.

Now we are on the cusp of electing a black man to be President of the USA. OK maybe we are not entering paradise. We are a troubled fucked up country and the jury is still out on us.

But things do change. Slowly but surely.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:12 pm

The pitiful thing is that neither Limbaugh OR Coulter will be cast into outer darkness. Their positions as mouth pieces for the absolute lowest and worst instincts and impulses this nation can spew forth seems somehow unassailable - and that depresses the shit out of me.

- Barney Dannelke
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Ezra,

Great story. I'm sure that inspiring scenes like the one you describe are being played out all across the country today.

Keith,

Hillary Clinton may have had a legitimate claim on the experience argument, but here's why I think McCain couldn't get traction with it: it only counts as experience if you learned from it. As the saying goes, there's a big difference between having twenty years' experience and having one year's experience twenty times.

Steve J.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Barney, sadly Limbaugh and Coulter's ratings will go up. They will get bigger book deals, have bigger best sellers. The right will go into crazy, kooky overdrive. You will see four years of nutty books, crazy radio and insane magazine articles. We don't even need to mention the internet.

They will not have the power to change laws, that one thing is important. But, yes, it would be nice to see these lawn bugs chopped into fish bait.

-------------

Stevie Dylag, if McCain steals it I will go into revolutionary mode. Direct action and other things will be the norm. No violence, unless they egg us on.

Obama wins and we have to keep his feet to the fire, keeping him left.

----------------

Those long, crazy lines in Illinois and LA are sickening. This is a democratic country or should be, we should have an easy time voting. This is pathetic.

Haiti does elections better than we do.

God, I hope they stay in line.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:10 pm

>> Stevie Dylag, if McCain steals it I will go into revolutionary mode. Direct action and other things will be the norm. No violence, unless they egg us on. <<

If McCain wins, I expect you to join these clowns in Philadelphia: http://www.breitbart.tv/html/213313.html

I'm inclined to think they're improv actors, but the white guy sounds really intimidated.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:18 pm

I elected to take part of my lunch to vote. Drove home (some would call "furiously"), pulled into the parking lot and ran in.

Five minutes later I was done. It appears between 10a and 3p it's a very good time to vote. According to the pollworkers the place was a "madhouse" earlier today.

Both Cris and I are now officially "on the record".

And, as for me, if I catch one whiff of a stolen election, I'm perfectly willing to be arrested in protest...as I would hope everyone here would be.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Barney Dannelke wrote:The pitiful thing is that neither Limbaugh OR Coulter will be cast into outer darkness.
- Barney Dannelke

Probably not, but it will be so worth it to see them cry and pout. They will no longer be able to claim to be the voice of the majority, and for the first time in a long time, "the absolute lowest and worst instincts and impulses this nation can spew forth" will no longer be in the drivers seat.

That alone is something to hope for.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:17 pm

Looks like Obama just took PA.
Also known as Pantsless Alley right about now.
The medium is the message.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:54 pm

I don't get it. According to CNN.com, Obama has more Electoral votes, but McCain has more votes. What's going on here?

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/president/

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm

N'er mind! That was just the one state. . .

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 pm

Steve Evil wrote:N'er mind! That was just the one state. . .

Oh, you big Canadian!

D.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm

History.

Glod bless yas all.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Just watched the concession speech.

If McCain had done that for the last two months, he'd probably have won.

Definitely if he'd had a different running mate.

And to be honest - he seems relieved.

Return to “General”