Barney's Brainery

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Are we having a grand opening party?

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:00 pm

I'll just re-post Steve's link here so people who hit this first will know what we're on about;

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7n0zi/id52.html

I've done this privately more than once but allow me to extend a very public and heartfelt thank you for allowing me to pollute his site with images taken by me with a cell phone camera in three degree weather. You can't say you are "all thumbs" if you can't feel them.

I have a friend who is a REAL photographer (other than Steve) who lives here and is going to take some better shots with real cameras as the work progresses. We may even do a video walk through depending on my mood and my vanity quotient.

So, there you go - for now.

Yes, Grand Opening when the wheelchair accessible bathroom is finished. That's going to be the bugaboo. To quote Facebook - "it's complicated."
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Aw, shucks. T'wernt nothin.

I find it fun to follow the progress of this sort of thing, so it's a natural to provide a forum for others who are interested to track the progress.

And as far as the wheelchair accessible bathroom, you might just put it down the hill from the Brainery. It keeps you from being asked a second time.
(KIDDING!!)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 pm

I want to say something unkind about that because of the expense and what it does to my "schedule" but all I need to do is think that shit and my first customer will be Stephen Hawking or some vet or, really, ANYBODY who needs a wheelchair and all six of my karma points go right down the drain.

I am SO lucky.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I just cleaned out all the pics on my phone - parole violations and what have you - and i have put together a folder of six or seven pictures of the Christian's Spring Hotel & Tavern. This is now a private club, invitation only B.Y.O. that does private get togethers and movie nights and ... other stuff.

I'm not going to ask that Steve do another gallery since it's not open to the general public - BUT, if someone REALLY wants to know what my Fortress of Not-So-Solitude looks like and they shoot me an e-mail I just MIGHT oblige them.

- Barney

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:38 pm

all I need to do is think that shit and my first customer will be Stephen Hawking or some vet or

or on day one, I show up in one just on General Principle. AND ask for lots of shit off the high shelves.

I'm a li'l bastard that way.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

People who know me a little know that the things I think of as part of ***MY*** personal collection do not often get parted with. From my cold dead fingers is my usual default setting. For instance, even though I have a metric fuck ton of Ellisonalia (often doubles and the occasional quadruple) I NEVER put that stuff up for sale ever. Sure, the BRAINERY will see some of this stuff let go. But not as much from The Core as you might think.

So, I thought this MIGHT interest one or two of you - or one or two of you might know some real OZ junkie. I don't often see these any more and never complete sets.

Don't worry. I'm not paying off a doctor or a bookie. If nobody bids on these they will go right back on the shelf and that will also be fine. But barns need supplies and Barney sometimes needs the occasional mental health day. So, towards that end...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... CA:US:1123

or;

http://tinyurl.com/btj2jk

- Barney

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:01 pm

You better have lots of Chomsky or I'm burning that bitch down..lol

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:03 pm

I have two Chomsky titles in my personal collection. As for The Brainery, that may be very miss rather than hit or miss, only because Chomsky, like Orwell and Ellison and Harper Lee sells about as fast as I can find it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 am

Yea, I have a hell of a time finding him in used book stores..lol

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 am

Barney Dannelke wrote:People who know me a little know that the things I think of as part of ***MY*** personal collection do not often get parted with.

This brings up a point I've meant to ask: when you do your buying, how do you differentiate between items being bought for your personal collection versus "this ought to fetch a pretty penny" at the store.

Or do you?

The question is based upon the conflict between the desire to collect and the desire to make a profit from collectible works. At some point, if you hang on to enough, it becomes unprofitable.

(Forry Ackerman was obviously disliked around here, but he provides a good example. I was lucky enough to meet him a couple of times and wangled myself a private tour of the Ackermansion. In his garage were hundreds -- if not thousands -- of magazines and books he'd acquired over the years which he readily offered up for sale. When I asked why he'd bought them in the first place he shrugged and said he really didn't know what was- and what was not-collectible until years later.)

Just curious.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 am

This is probably not the time or the place but even though I've been posting since 2004 I'm still playing catch-up a bit.

Why don't "we" like Forest Ackerman? I grew up with Famous Monsters and sorta new he was a collector but other than that...?

If it's a "Harlan thing" say "It's a Harlan thing" and say no more...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

swp

Postby swp » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:10 am

Forest Ackerman is credited as creating the term "Sci-Fi."

I am sure you know Harlan's feelings on that.

back on topic...

will the brainery host 'events' like signings and superbowl parties and whatnot?
swp

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:15 am

I could (and perhaps) will write a book on all this. I think about this every single time a book passes through my hands. In other words, over a hundred times a day every single day for decades.

In many ways The BRAINERY is my elegant solution to this problem.

There is no easy answer to ANY of this so I will give some specific examples of how it plays out in my head.

NOT FOR SALE ever in this lifetime - ever.

I have a large pile of Ellison media, Taped audio and video recordings. Sometimes there was someone else in the room recording - but often there was not. I am quite certain that outside of Harlan's home I have the largest pile of this stuff. NOT for sale. Ever.

My Father's Navy book and ship's log diary.
My HC 1st/1st of LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI
My BARRACK ROOM BALLADS & BACK ROOM DITTIES autographed by Kipling

I have perhaps 500 things like this. Some are obviously valuable. Others are "in the moment" sort of things.

Not for sale at a reasonable price

Often I will get something that skirts this category. I have decided those OZ magazines are like that. They have value and I enjoyed meeting Shanower and talking about Harlan with him. I have doubles of #6 wth the Ellison letter so I'm not giving up the Harlan connection. And my reserve is $175.00 which is steep but reasonable since individual items go for around $30.00 right now.

I have unsigned HC's (perhaps 3,000) that might fall into this category. For sale but not a bargain. These should be "my" problem and not my daughter's.

Subset - I have some ideas on who might the Nobel prize for lit in my lifetime. Those are not for sale now - but will be if I'm correct and live long enough. Want a hint? Ecco, Byatt and Ishiguro are in my top 10 on that list.

Thousands of thousands priced at as near to whatever the market will assign according to the condition and I could not care less what there fate is. Folks like Lessing and Welsh and Freud and Nietzsche. I respect them but I don't NEED them in my home. Pure commerce.

Shit I can't move fast enough. Romance comes to mind. It's a buck but it's a pure five finger exercise.

In the next 5 years much of my comic collection is going to get tossed on this mercantile bonfire - but not this year. I'm not giving them away JUST because the economy is in the shitter. No fun in that.

I'll get back to this question but that's the short form today.

Forry did it wrong. A great potential totally pissed away. Harlan, to the best of his ability has done the collecting thing right. Or nearly right - and certainly to the VERY best of his ability.

My hope is that Susan will not have to part with much to preserve the rest - but that's just my selfish hope and ABSOLUTELY none of my business ether as a shit-hoarder (Tim's term for it) or as a good friend who wishes them all the best every single day I suck air.

- Barney

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Why Forry is persona non grata:

Forry did something Harlan (and others) considered to be brutally cold and meanspirited to one of their friends, who was on their deathbed.

Harlan (and others) never forgave him and were bitterly angry with him until the day he (Forry) died.

No more details, though they are easy to find if you want to expend the effort.

Forry was very friendly with me, but your mileage may vary, and I certainly understand Harlan's anger with the man after hearing the background.

Return to “General”