Barney's Brainery

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:43 am

Oh, and my very nice 12" x 24" photographic print of this shot;

http://www.pooltableinformation.com/twain.jpg

is now mounted on the wall of the Christian's Spring billiards room, joining photos of Newman and Gleason from THE HUSTLER and the Rat Pack standing around jawing and chalking.

- Barney

Rackem, PA.
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 pm

That picture is right up there with the sailor kissing in the girl or the fire fighter holding the baby from the Oklahoma City bombing.

Life Magazine lives.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:14 pm

Steve,

This morning Warren Ellis wrote;

"What's everyone doing in 2009?"

and this followed;

Warren - You Mad Bastard,

I'm opening a bookstore called THE BRAINERY in a renovated barn in Nazareth, PA.

We'll have 30,000 books, 20,000 comics and 3,000 pieces of vinyl on Day 1. There is also a built in stage with lights and a PA system for bands ... Read Morein the evenings. Attached is a wood shop with a local artist who makes one-off pieces of furniture.

Next door is a very nice tavern owned by friends of mine and I have the keys. You should come and do a signing. If we're lucky nobody will show up and we can drink and tell lies.

Yes, this is all true. I have died and gone to heaven.

Happy New Year - Barney Dannelke

Holy shit, that's brilliant.

I'm not "properly" online for a few days, yet, but if you've got a poster image or something you can email to warrene@aol.com, or even a bit of text, I'd be happy to put a post on warrenellis. com about it.

- Warren

Warren,

Right now we're shooting for early Spring for an opening. A good friend is doing the art for the website and business cards and what-not. When that's further along I will hold you to this pimping offer you have so kindly tendered.

The "art" will be a black and white drawing of the barn at night sort of in the style of Wally Wood or Mark Schultz with large disembodied brains with bits of spinal cords and nerves dangling - hovering outside near the sign. Font to be determined.

The stage is 9' x 14' with a built in lighting and PA system and plenty of room for a sound board. Not open-mike but more like a band that might draw 100 people. Perhaps not Detroit Cobras or Social D sized but definitely not coffee shop folky scale stuff.

Get this. My "bedroom" is above the office with a 3 foot knee wall and rail on the back wall. On band nights I'll be doing my best Emperor Caligula up there with grapes and the dreaded thumbs up / thumbs down. Yes, that's right. A V.I.P. lounge with books.

And for 2010 - because we're sort of in the country - it's building up rapidly - and because WE CAN, we're building a trebuchet. I kid you not. Would you pay $20.00 to launch something half the size of an engine block (on fire optional and extra) over a tree line into a quarry at night? My friends most certainly will.

- Barney Dannelke

ps. - At least 8 of my friends are reading you these days. Although the pacing KILLS me I think FREAKANGELS is some of your finest work and I have the sense you are really BUILDING something over there. Please keep up the tremendous work.

pps - should you ever actually be in Eastern PA the Christian's Spring Hotel and Tavern (35 feet from THE BRAINERY all on one property) has a free room for you and one guest - and there are some nice things on tap and on the top shelf. Serious offer just in case.

A balcony over the stage? A TREBUCHET?

This is nothing short of HEROIC.

-- W

;-)

- B

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 pm

That's great, Barney. Ellis is a glorious bastard, innt he?

Comic books, too? I'll have to make the trip some time to see your swag.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Barney -- I assume you've read the charming book by the guy who built a trebuchet in the San Fran area, near the Golden Gate?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Nope.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:49 am

Hey Barney -
Not sure which Steve you directed the above to (Dylag? Me?), but a drop by the Brainery is a "must do" next time we're within a hundred miles of Pennsylvania. Are you carrying anything musical other than vinyl? Cris tells me it's making a comeback as people realize that digital duplication of an analog art form isn't all it's cracked up to be. Apparently a number of bands are putting product out on vinyl again -- who knows, maybe people will rediscover the phrase "Licorice Pizza", which now only gets you a dumbstruck stare...

Is the barn off the beaten path, or more centrally located? (Great idea, that, it's big, airy and sounds like a very cool setup.)

BTW - I can't enthuse enough about putting a stage in the place, it's a wonderful idea and usually one of those things dismissed by RPSF (Revenue Per Sqaure Foot) accountants who don't realize that this sort of thing pays dividendeds when you get the customers through the door. If you can coax him from the warm cocoon that is Portland, you might book Mr. Loftus into a reading gig. He's quite good, as you may have heard.

Cool stuff. Keep us informed. Any tentative opening date yet???
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:28 am

Steve,

The "nope" was about the book on the trebuchet.

I wish I could answer all of your other questions better but we're in a bit of a "molasses man*" fix at the moment. Best I can offer is sometime in the Spring.

Fred (who is doing most of the renovations) lost about three weeks to a family emergency, PA weather, electrical coding issues and the Holidays. I had hoped to have a heated office with outlets that I could paint and furnish this week but I don't see that happening now for a few weeks.

The truck we are using to haul lumber (thousands of dollars worth of OSB and other things not easily strapped to a Jeep Grand Cherokee) is having battery electrical issues. The shelving needs to go up although it's designed and space issues are resolved which is a big thing.

WHILE the shelving is going up I need to unpack and price THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of items. This is complicated because some of the stuff has Amazon/Alibris prices and it gets tricky because my price on Amazon versus my price in Nazareth in many cases will be different. Particularly for technical books which fetch higher prices when you are willing to ship globally. It's not big business but one $200.00 book on "Steel Fracture Analysis" can make your day if not your week. Fred and Lynne will also have a large book collection integrated into all this heavy on history and war and Americana and model trains and regular trains. I need to devise ways to keep the chocolate apart from the peanut butter.

While my office will be heated, the un-vented, forced air, 48,000 BTU fireplace will not be installed until Fall 2009. So, some March days will be fine and others will be positively brutal for browsing even with a BYO policy.

The music venue concept actually came first and the book-store was the workaround application that best suited the space and all of our needs. I think some acts will encourage browsing before, after and even during the events. Comic tables will be on casters and easily pushed aside and covered. Four large PB stands with end caps (each about 8' tall, holding perhaps 900 books) will also be on casters. These can also be rolled aside for floor space and to block more valuable stuff during concerts.

Books are so easy for me to come by I don't worry about theft nearly so much as I worry about inventory management issues. For instance, if someone steals a $3.00 book from me and I lose an hour looking for it I'm out $20.00 and risk negative feedback on Amazon. I lose sleep over this shit.

Not much spoken word and what have you and much of that is old Daedalus stuff with Dillon covers I'm not keen on parting with but stuff will come and go.

I agree on the "warmth" issue with vinyl if you don't take it to far. So much of it is how good your speakers and amp are AND A HUGE FACTOR is how old you are and what your hearing is like. My hearing is shot and I'm not 50 yet. So pretending to hi/lo end nuances would be bullshit in my case but I can still hear the difference through my Altec's and C-V's between good and bad production and my new PC tower has a very tinny sound card even with my sub-woofer compared to my last soundcard which I should have saved.

The big thing is the HUGE confluence of interests between people who will still come out and see a band now that smoking/drinking issues have become so complicated and regulated and people who still read comics, buy vinyl or read any damned thing at all. In other words I am studiously hoping to create a target rich environment. We shall see. Worst case scenario I will have a nice workspace with a bitching sound system I can turn up loud enough to sterilize bats and meadowlarks.

Opening the back door and being able to hear running water 15' below me while drinking tea is pretty nice first thing in the morning as well.

- Barney

ps. - note to people who show up too early. The summer/fall stock will be radically different from the early Spring stock as I have tonnage in storage in four different locations at the moment. Doing my store twice a year will be well advised.

* I knew what licorice pizza was. My first library fine at age eight was related to this often car based malady.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 am

Barney's back. Hi Barney. We love us some Barney.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Barber wrote:Are you carrying anything musical other than vinyl? Cris tells me it's making a comeback as people realize that digital duplication of an analog art form isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Not something I say often, but I am aurally centered. I hear little noises other people don't. A squeak in my car can drive me nuts. And I can easily tell the difference between a cd and vinyl. I am positive that I really wouldn't be a fan of an iPod or an MP3 player, as the few I have heard that others have been using sound so tinny to me.

Barney, will you have a non-smoking band stage and audience area to prevent the odors from getting into the books?

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Barney, will you have a non-smoking band stage and audience area to prevent the odors from getting into the books?

Sure, but not for that reason. Most venues, even in the hinterlands of PA are non-smoking venues anyway. Between the fire hazard and the alienation factor between smokers and not smokers - and not wanting ugly black burns on the soon to be newly re-finished hardwood floors that I will be trodding pretty much 24/7 it's not even a question. People can smoke out back if they must.

And what they smoke will be entirely up to them. Location location location indeed.

- Barney

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Barney -
I know you've got major challenges, and that things are not exactly going according to plan on all fronts, but it sounds like this will be a wonderful place and lifestyle when you're done.

I'd love to see some pictures of the progress, and would offer to post them on my website under their own gallery*.

Just a thought.

(*Side note: Your Amazon link -- the www button on the bottom of your posts -- doesn't seem to be functioning. You might need to update it.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:38 pm

OK - that seems to fixed - for now. Thanks for the heads-up there.

My new cell phone has a camera. My last one was VERY lo-tech. I'll try and take a few snaps next time I'm up there (probably Sunday/Monday) and have some decent light. Then there will be a brief learning curve while I deal with transferring them to the hosted transfer point where you can grab them for a gallery. The pity is that these will look like hammered dog shit next to your stuff but there's no help for that.

- Barney

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:48 pm

When you're open, Barney, I will visit. (God, I'm no Kinsella.)

I grew up in northeastern B.C., and I may be working soon in northwestern Alberta, so the heat issue is to laugh.

Best of luck,
D.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Barney!

Wow!

I just saw the images of your 'Brainery' under construction.

1765??

Hauntingly idyllic setting, indeed. "Built over old 18th century gravesite!" would add great PR!

Looking forward to its progress!

Return to “General”