Barney's Brainery

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks for that, Barney. Part of the question is curiosity, another part is that a) I am planning to thin out my own library and b) will someday inherit some valuable volumes from my parents' library.

My Father's Navy book and ship's log diary.

Didn't realize your father was in the Navy. It's likely you have a number of works my father published.

(One of the more valuable books I will inherit is a galley proof of HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER signed by Clancy. Dad also owns a number of Steinbeck first editions.)

Looking foreward to the additional detail.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:This is probably not the time or the place but even though I've been posting since 2004 I'm still playing catch-up a bit.

Why don't "we" like Forest Ackerman?

Ezra,

Follow this link to the story as told by J. Michael Straczynski. Also see the Pavilion archive for Harlan's entry time stamped Thursday, April 26 2007 12:58:57. Like Steve Barber, I met Ackerman, toured his house before he had to move out of it, and found him to be congenial. And I was a devoted reader of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" in its heyday. But I do agree with Harlan and JMS that on at least the one occasion in question he stepped way over the line of acceptable behavior. Was this an aberration or an indication of his true nature? I can't say. And, as he is now gone, I don't suppose it matters much. But since you asked, there it is.

Steve J.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon May 04, 2009 7:32 pm

http://www.librarything.com/venue/42882

These are emphatically NOT the "real" Brainery stock. This is all charitably cannon fodder. Many authors habitually made fun of on this site and the sort of things one sees in thrift shops. I got an entire truck full of books last week. About 200 office file sized boxes. Went through the entire lot. I held back 8 books for myself and two boxes for the Brainery. I then took about 1,400 to the local recycling center. Some things cannot be given away. The rest is going in this sale to raise more money for materials. We are way WAY behind schedule but work does continue.
History is a vast early warning system. -Norman Cousins (1915-1990)

Barney Dannelke

Re: Barney's Brainery

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 pm

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm

Those cartoons are damn clever, Barney.

I know you're not looking for ideas, but heaven help the perky business school graduate who wanders in with great plans to convert the Brainery into a Starbucks-like showroom for caffeine-addled aspiring "screenwriters."

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 pm

This should (fingers crossed) display the first five strips in proper read order.
1. Grand Opening
2. The Lady or El Tigre
3. Spank You Very Much
4. Something Fishy
5. Bad Swaps

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=8 ... &disp=imgs

and here is number 6;
6. Come again

http://endoftheword.stripgenerator.com/ ... ome-again/

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:19 am

The Brainery Is Dead - Long Live The Brainery.

No point in sugar-coating this one. The owner of the property that would have been The Brainery has decided to re-purpose the barn and make it into something else entirely. It may be a half music venue / half art and furniture studio or it may be some other combination or permutation of something originally envisioned as "The Eclectic" a couple of years ago. In any case, it will not be housing my enormous stock of books, records and comics. As of 09/22/09 that ship sailed and that business plan is as dead as a doornail.

After investing 16 months of my life into this project - or, this VERSION of this project - and pimping it as hard as I did while putting other things on hold, I'm sure you can well imagine I'm not thrilled to be typing this.

Nevertheless, life goes on. I am still a book man and I am still acquiring books FAR faster than I can sell them. I will be taking in another half a truck full on October 15th so it's not as though my ambition to sell books for a living has gone anywhere. Just that location as a place to make my stand.

I'll be placing a lot of these books in safe storage over the winter while scouting locations. It would be madness and folly to try and open a business quickly over the holidays in just any location. We'll see what crops up next spring.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for all their well wishes and support. Don't worry. You'll be able to visit me in my natural habitat someday sooner rather than later. Just not where I had expected to be or as soon as I would have hoped.

Thanks again - Barney

ps - Steve, When you see this and you find the time, if you could take down The Brainery "preview" photo gallery I would very much appreciate it. - B

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:17 am

%$#@ me.

Well, more accurately, %$#@ the landlord.

Sorry to read that, Barney. I'll take down the gallery some time this weekend.

$#!+.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:07 am

Oh, Barney, oh, Barney...

Hugs.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:56 am

Awww . . . crap.

Guess I'll cancel those plans to fly out to Pennsylvania.

Say, Barney, have you read Paul Collins's _Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books_? Reminds me of what you were trying to do.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:06 pm

W!? T!? F!?

I'm so sorry, and considering all the *personal* time, effort, and $$ you'd put in, I'm wondering why he could pull the rug out? Some day, over wine, you can enlighten me.

In meantime, all best thoughts towards the revised version to come....
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:38 am

Oh, man, Barney, that's a rotten, stinking break. But I'm glad to know that the dream won't die.

As in chess, the remaining pieces will find their places.

D.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:28 pm

Well, hell, man. I'm really sorry to read that. Kathy and I were really looking forward to visiting once it was all said and done. Damn, that's a lot of energy. It's heartening to hear you're keeping the goal and have your priorities and don't sound as crazy pissed as I would have been. Although the time that's past may have helped to mellow that a tad. I wouldn't have wanted to share a cab ride back from that meeting with you on that day, lovely as I've heard you can be....

I raise a glass of Lagavulin and toast you sir, to your success, with mutterings under my breath reserved for the obstacles in your path.
The medium is the message.

Return to “General”