David Loftus question

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:18 pm

paul wrote:
David Loftus wrote:Speaking of which, who remembers the Monty Python routine, "Learn to be a Great Actor in Your Own Home"? It may only have been on a recording -- "Matching Tie and Handkerchief"?

"Shot off! . . . Completely? . . . Oh, Charles. . . ."

I have the double cassette of MP's The Final Cut (not to be confused with the Pink Floyd album) and that's one of the tracks on there.

It's neat, only listening to sketch after sketch (the Architects' Sketch, Dead Parrot) that I've seen. I really enjoy filling in the pictures in my head. I mean, I like the show just fine, but there's something pleasant about doing things around the house, dishes, laundry, and listening to that kind of spoken word, as it were.

That was my primary method of getting to know Python, since we didn't have a television. I had the albums, starting with Live at Civic Center. When I saw some of the video much later, I was kind of put off by the cheesy technical quality. I think Python was more of a verbal comedy troupe than a visual one, anyway.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Obviously the movies had more of an impact.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:09 am

I have never grinned as hard as I did the first time I saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
The medium is the message.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Well, opening night's tomorrow. Wish me luck!

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:16 am

Break a leg, as we say in theater.

I had another opening night on Friday. Here's some photos from early in tech rehearsals last week:

http://www.david-loftus.com/news.html

There are some more on my Facebook page, and I'll be putting up even more over the next few days. Are you on Facebook, Steve?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:54 am

david, I had a look at the link and was a bit suprised by one thing. There is a photo of you with a cigarette in your hand. I know its part of the character, its how Coward made him. I just didnt think that in this day you'd be allowed to do that. Just about every music video on TV these days which shows someone smoking has it blurred out. There was a stage play in Edinurgh about a meeting between Winston Churchill and Micheal Collins where they end up agreeably smoking cigars but they were not allowed to do it in the UK due to a smoking ban in enclosed public spaces. A crucial part of the story could NOT be shown.

Is the USA just a little more enlightened than us poor Limeys? Are you actually allowed to show someone smoking on stage in the US? I only ask as an ex-smoker who views our current leglislation in the UK as weird and draconian.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 am

Is the USA just a little more enlightened than us poor Limeys?

reddragon70 I have been asked by officials of the Dept of Homeland Security to inform you that it is currently illegal to use the words USA and enlightened in the same sentence.

So watch it buddy. :wink:

When I get frisky I imagine myself going downtown to the offices of the local govt and asking where I need to go to get a permit to hunt pigeons in DC. Probably encounter some 20 something that never heard of Monty Python and get locked up.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 am

reddragon70 wrote:david, I had a look at the link and was a bit suprised by one thing. There is a photo of you with a cigarette in your hand. I know its part of the character, its how Coward made him. I just didnt think that in this day you'd be allowed to do that. Just about every music video on TV these days which shows someone smoking has it blurred out. There was a stage play in Edinurgh about a meeting between Winston Churchill and Micheal Collins where they end up agreeably smoking cigars but they were not allowed to do it in the UK due to a smoking ban in enclosed public spaces. A crucial part of the story could NOT be shown.

Is the USA just a little more enlightened than us poor Limeys? Are you actually allowed to show someone smoking on stage in the US? I only ask as an ex-smoker who views our current leglislation in the UK as weird and draconian.

It IS kind of odd. Particularly since Oregon just banned ALL smoking, ANYWHERE, indoors as of January 1, too (which means I'll sooner or later be making a pilgrimage to several karaoke bars that have terrific song catalogs but whose smoky atmosphere I couldn't stand in years past).

I'm all for the legislation, by the way. It's been the wave of the present across the U.S. -- I've read stories about the City of Denver cracking down on their local theaters who were following a script that called for smoking.

The City of Hillsboro has apparently allowed this theater an exception for performance purposes. I'm lighting and puffing on an herbal cigarette with the dubious brand-name "Ecstacy." (Actually, Coward's script calls for my character to light at least six and puff on five; I'm suspicious that he wrote it in because he was to star in this role and knew he couldn't last two hours without a smoke.)

It's been one of my greatest acting challenges, trying to remove cigarettes from a silver case and lighting them with wooden matches in a way that looks natural, since I've never been a smoker. (Play is set in 1930 or so, and the first Zippo lighter was not built until 1933, patented in 1935.) The herbals don't burn my throat to the extent I had feared they would; it's just the mechanics of getting them out and lit that's been difficult. I don't imagine I'm going to fool any real smokers in the audience.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

In the good ole UK even herbal cigarettes are not permitted. Hows that one for bizarre? Oh and it gets better, when the whole smoking ban came into force nightclubs found themselves with a double problem. 1 they werent sure if the law allowed them to use smoke machines (still unclear to this day) and 2 before the ban all you could smell in clubs was smoke, after all you could smell was sweat. Well sweat if you are lucky because there is always someone whose hygene really could be better.

I myself am not against banning smoking in certain places (anywhere near children for example), however I believe that it should be up to the owner of the property in question. Lets face it, if you decide to go into a bar that allows smoking then it is your own choice. My bet is there would be plenty of bars, clubs and restraunts that would be happier with this arrangement. And more than 50% would go non smoking I am willing to bet.

Juat make sure that when the anti smoking law comes your way that its not as half assed as it is in the UK. I can tell you amazing horror stories and amusing anecdotes about this rather badly implemented law.

You said the mechanics of smoking are tricky. Yep I bet they are, you have never smoked. So simple things like how to hold a cigarette seem alien. I would suggest watching as many old films as possible. Watch the mannerisms of smokers. But from the photo it looks like you have it worked out anyway.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Red, in those old movies, most of the smoking was part of a pr campaign implimented by Eddie Bernays. He got women to smoke, then got movies to show smoking. It worked.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:04 pm

reddragon70 wrote:I myself am not against banning smoking in certain places (anywhere near children for example), however I believe that it should be up to the owner of the property in question. Lets face it, if you decide to go into a bar that allows smoking then it is your own choice.

Except that employees don't have a choice whether to go in or leave. It's their health on the line too.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 pm

David Loftus wrote:
reddragon70 wrote:I myself am not against banning smoking in certain places (anywhere near children for example), however I believe that it should be up to the owner of the property in question. Lets face it, if you decide to go into a bar that allows smoking then it is your own choice.

Except that employees don't have a choice whether to go in or leave. It's their health on the line too.

David

The only reason I wouldn't go for what reddragon is promoting is that right now people have to hold on to whatever job they have.

But, how hard would it be under a better economy for a non smoker to find a bar or nightclub that suits their chosen smoking status?

I don't smoke around those who don't like it, and think it only fair that I'm left with SOMEWHERE besides my own home to smoke.

just my two cents....

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Lori, if we ever lock lips, don't forget to get a tic tac. Damned smoker...lol

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:59 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lori, if we ever lock lips, don't forget to get a tic tac. Damned smoker...lol

If you give me enough of a warning I can swear off the smoking all together Dear one.... But, I'll be sure to bring my toothbrush and some mouthwash to our first meeting.....

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm

steve e.,
best of luck,mike

Return to “General”