David Loftus question

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Thank you cynical sir, for the good wishes, and the getting things back on topic :wink: The matinee was actually kind of rough, but in the evening I finally got things right and I finally achieved what I wanted with the role.

On a related note however, I also smoke in our production. Several people do. Ligthing up is not allowed in the auditorium, so we just use the props and "mime" it so to speak. The audience is well of aware of this universal prohibition and forgives this lapse in authenticity. It's more for having something to do with one's hands that anything. I've never smoked in my life, but I've watched tons of smokers and picked up some of their mannerisms (which I frequently transfer to pens. And people say I'm wierd!)

David Loftus wrote:
There are some more on my Facebook page, and I'll be putting up even more over the next few days. Are you on Facebook, Steve?

I am and I'd be honoured to have ya. My security settings are like fort knox right now (can't have school principals looking me up), but I can add others to my heart's content.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:12 am

Steve Evil wrote:
David Loftus wrote:
There are some more on my Facebook page, and I'll be putting up even more over the next few days. Are you on Facebook, Steve?

I am and I'd be honoured to have ya. My security settings are like fort knox right now (can't have school principals looking me up), but I can add others to my heart's content.

People have had difficulty tracking down my page in the past. If you don't turn me up right away, send me a PM with the exact name or email address by which you are identified in the Facebook system, and I'll try to link up with you.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:19 am

Apparently I'm pretty good, (thought the reviewer had some very unchivilrous things to say about our leading lady. . .)

http://theatreinlondon.ca/2009/02/urinetown-review/

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Just keep convincing yourself of that: Damnit, I am good. Fuck what Frank says. Bleedin punk.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:59 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Damnit, I am good. Fuck what Frank says. Bleedin punk.

Yeah, well some things just go without saying...

:wink:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Not a bad review, Steve. I think the writer was a little unnecessarily hard on your female lead, but all in all, it's a decent notice for the clip file. And you scored, personally!

I moved heaven and earth to get a reviewer from the Oregonian to our show. She apparently came last night (I can't be certain because I don't know what she looks like).

We weren't at our best; the show was a bit ragged, though not to the extent that the audience would have noticed much, but the most passionate and emotional scenes (from confession of undying love to the knock-down-drag-out fight) went pretty well, I think.

This reviewer is typically gentle and kind, so I'm hoping she will be so in our case.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Richard Keeney

facebook

Postby Richard Keeney » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:02 pm

David,

I'm Rick Keeney at rick_keeney@yahoo.com

would love to add you on facebook

and, um, you said "hard on"--snork

Love,
Rick
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

David Loftus

Re: facebook

Postby David Loftus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:34 am

Richard Keeney wrote:David,

I'm Rick Keeney at rick_keeney@yahoo.com

would love to add you on facebook

No sooner said than done!

Richard Keeney wrote:and, um, you said "hard on"--snork

Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh . . . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:30 pm

David Loftus wrote:
We weren't at our best; the show was a bit ragged, though not to the extent that the audience would have noticed much, .

I can relate. A number of things went wrong during matinee, and while the audience didn't seem to care, it still didn't feel right. Even if one recovers well, it is hard to take pride in a mistake.

It's funny: the particular number that our reviewer singled out was by far the rest of the cast's least favourate. And they made no bones about telling me. To have it praised in such a way is quite gratifying. . .

David Loftus

Re: David Loftus question

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Hey, Steve --

Any plans to do another show in the future?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 pm

Hey David,

While there are no immediate prospects on the horizon - I'm mainly trying to find work (will probably have to relocate) and finish these stupid online courses - I have every intention of finding another show to do. Theatre's in the blood. It refuses to stay dormant for long.

I am starting another children's workshop next week, which is the next best thing. Every day's a show there!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:22 am

Keep up on your studies. I am your daddy and I have my belt out.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:13 pm

Sorry, m/m just ain't my kink.

Return to “General”