So I'm Strolling Into My Job Today.....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm

David Loftus wrote:Alan . . . that's damning with feint praise.

Just noticed this. Months later.

It's still a very bad pun.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Duane wrote:Day 80 and still unemployed.

Unemployment insurance is a real blessing right now. I have a fairly good amount of ca$h in savings, but now that I'm paying my own COBRA premiums, that's another $400 a month. I should be OK for the next several months, but I'm starting to worry just a little bit.

(Of course, there are plenty of part time, and even full time, "bridge" jobs out there. That and my ability to work my ass off guarantees I won't starve or go homeless.)

Just checking in.... :)

Duane - Wish I could be of some help. Unfortunately, even the big VZ has been in reduction mode. One or two openings, but ten or so internal candidates for every one of them.

NeoCon Jim is entering his third month, and the wife is *this close* to freaking out.

Have you checked into LinkedIn yet???
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Barber wrote:
David Loftus wrote:Alan . . . that's damning with feint praise.

Just noticed this. Months later.

It's still a very bad pun.

I don't deal in any other kind.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm

I feel your pain, Duane. I hope you find someone who appreceates your skills and talents soon. In a paying money sort of way.

Hang in there, dude!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Duane will be ok. If not there is always highway cleanup or selling oranges.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm

Duane,

A couple of tips for you:

Look into medical insurance other than COBRA. Many plans, such as Blue Cross, Medica, etc. offer short term health care plans at a fraction of the cost of COBRA.

Consulting jobs are becoming more scarce, but they can provide some coverage during periods of unemployment. Do you know anyone in the contracting arena?

Third, to reinforce Barber's point, LinkedIn is an excellent resource to use. My suggestion would be to spend some time thinking about where you want to work, and use LinkedIn as a tool to network with key individuals within that company. The more you can use personal connections when making an initial contact with a new contact, the better

Stay positive,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Mark, missed ya babee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Been a bit of a weird time for me Frankie, but I am hopeful that things will return to normal now that I am done with that miserable contract job and will be starting a new, permanent position on Monday

Missed you too, bubbela
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I'm warm all over. I may convert.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:37 pm

don't ever change frank.

OMIGOSH WHAT AM I THINKING

convert frank convert.

luv,m

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09 am

>> Have you checked into LinkedIn yet??? <<

Done. Anyone want to "connect" with me? I have two contacts into one of the largest employers in OC (not that anyone is planning on working there, and not that they're hiring right now anyway, though they may be).

Send me a PM and we'll do the do.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40 pm

Duane - How are you listed? I tried finding you on LinekdIn and came up empty.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Duane feels empty, that's why. We need to kindle a bonfire and sing him songs. Duane, you are needed.

Return to “General”