So I'm Strolling Into My Job Today.....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:53 am

FrankChurch wrote:Barber's Jazz Bistro.

8)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 am

What, I don't get nominated for a wine bar? :?
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 am

Peggy's Pinot Palace?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:22 am

Oh, I was just thinking Peggy's Wine Bar (not every name was subject to alliteration); I hate to limit it to a single varietal. :wink: I'm afraid I'm not clever enough to come up with something to match Enological or Vine.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Frank:

One, you've been seeing some of my artwork literally for the last 4 months, without variation.

Two, Gwyneth's "I Dream Of Jeannie" shot there leaves you in one of your outhouses!

Look: I'm touching this; I'm touching that; I just touched there; oh, I'm groping THAT.

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:31 pm

robochrist wrote: you've been seeing some of my artwork literally for the last 4 months, without variation.

i hope your work will continue,and that we may soon know of it.

MY anonymity requires i divulge only my faves

Fantastic 4(from their start),silver surfer(only the 1st(not for lack of intrest)),and much later;zap,slow death and skull

SIN CITY is on my dvd buy list,as well as my list of contemporay graphic novel artitsts.

again,work is good ,i hope you get it,

mike

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks, Mike.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:49 am

Got a call this morning from Fundamentalist Friend Jim.

His company is one of those that depends heavily on available credit to meet things like payroll.

They let him go, along with others.

"And so it begins..."

(Well, yeah, unemployment has hit a number of us this year -- but in his case it's the first time I've been told it's specifically due to the tight credit situation. As Jim said, "I felt like telling 'the owner' to sell his damn $150K Porsche.")

(I'm gonna make a Dem outa him yet.)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 am

Addendum to the above.

Last night one of Cris' musicians was over. He was pretty successful some years ago (less so recently) and had parlayed his money into significant real estate holdings here and in Florida. Almost all of his properties are now seriously under water, including his primary residence. He says he's likely to lose everything in the next few months. No credit is available for refinancing.

Oddly, perhaps, he's put a fair amount of his own money into a new CD hoping that this will buoy his finances -- but he doesn't even have a tour scheduled with which to sell them.

*sigh*

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:52 am

My first day at work:

I knocked a bottle of technical ink on his carpet.
Barfed up my mornings coffee all over his pencil work for Marvel.
Overflowed his toilet.
Had a feinting spell in his living room from not having eaten.
Insulted his hero, John Byrne.
Fell asleep on the job while he was out.
And lost his mail while doing a drop for him.

I'll be back on Monday!

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Did he fall for the feint?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Alan . . . that's damning with feint praise.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm

Listen, every employer looks for a good fainter!

Ya see? I can even SPELL it!

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:30 pm

Congratulations on your new gig, Rob. And don't worry; no one expects perfection on your first day. Your SECOND day, however....

Speaking of IQ (from the Sarah Palin discussion), I took two online IQ tests today (not scientifically administered, obviously). I scored 141 on the first (iqtest.com) and 125 on the second (intelligencetest.com). From previous experience, I know mine hovers in the low 130's, which is good enough, as far as I'm concerned. Smart enough to accomplish my goals in life, but no so high I trip over my shoelaces playing Ultimate.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Day 80 and still unemployed.

Unemployment insurance is a real blessing right now. I have a fairly good amount of ca$h in savings, but now that I'm paying my own COBRA premiums, that's another $400 a month. I should be OK for the next several months, but I'm starting to worry just a little bit.

(Of course, there are plenty of part time, and even full time, "bridge" jobs out there. That and my ability to work my ass off guarantees I won't starve or go homeless.)

Just checking in.... :)

Return to “General”