So I'm Strolling Into My Job Today.....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:02 pm

Duane wrote:Oh, I definitely plan on taking Unemployment (already registered, as a matter of fact). I was just talking about a few of the people I walked out with who want to use it as a "six month vacation."

Now give me my MONNAAAAAYYYY!!!

A quickie: are taxes taken out of the weekly checks? If they aren't I'll need to make sure I save a bit of each to cover the April tax bill....

If I remember correctly, you'll be getting a little card from EDD explaining all you need to know about the taxes. And it has a 800 number to call if you have any questions...

Mr Barber, can you be of any help here?

Lori

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm sure I'll figure it out. And Rob's right: If others want to take the layoff as an excuse for a vacation, so be it. Maybe I'm just jealous!

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 pm

I DID go bodysurfing at Zuma Beach today, so I guess I'm not really one to talk....

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm

Duane,

"Maybe I'm just jealous!"

Listen...JOIN the club!

I just figure if these are people capable of subsisting on the pittance you get from EDD monthly then either they're already being supported, in which case they'd get a "vacation" anyway, or they're living in a shanty, in which case ANYTHING would qualify as a vacation.

Actually, if I can land work before I go flat broke I'll have considered the last few weeks something of a break if not a vacation. I haven't had a break to speak of in years.

...on the other hand, as the whining goes on, I just met a great girl whom I'd like to take out soon. I don't dare start dating, however, until I'm working again. I did that once - held things together for a while while dating - but finally went broke in the bleakest way...and shortly after that I never saw her again.

I'm not doing a replay of that humiliation.

But I AM going to try and get to know this girl and hope that paces itself while I look for work.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:45 am

Lori Koonce wrote:
If I remember correctly, you'll be getting a little card from EDD explaining all you need to know about the taxes. And it has a 800 number to call if you have any questions...

Mr Barber, can you be of any help here?

Lori

Yes.

Every two weeks you have to fill out what essentially is your "time card". At the bottom is a box you need to check if you want them to withhold taxes.

Either way you'll get what amounts to a 1099 form (it isn't, but it's the same concept) which you need to add to your state and federal returns.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Duane wrote:I DID go bodysurfing at Zuma Beach today, so I guess I'm not really one to talk....

The fact you can do ANYTHING at Zuma beach makes me jealous!!!!

SF may have the better of a lot of things, but not beaches!!!!!!!

Lori 8)

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Well...as a rule, I don't like to jinx new gigs by blabbin' about it before I even enter the foyer.

But I just got part-time work inking Matt "Batt" Banning's pages for Marvel. His stuff is all over the Internet for those of you who don't know him. I'll be seeing him later tomorrow. It's gonna be a crazy schedule because I have to be on call when he's pressing for the deadlines. Sometimes I'm going to have to run over at 6am! But that's not gonna be a problem!

He told me my portfolio was 1 of 5 he chose from nearly 100. That's a nice compliment, considering it's not even quite complete yet.

That's all I'm gonna say about it for now. Thank the Holy Faber-Castell, it's good to know I'm getting SOMETHING this soon. I was starting to make lists of the easiest stores in the area I thought I might have knock over soon.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm

robochrist wrote: I just got part-time work inking Matt "Batt" Banning's pages for Marvel. (snips)
He told me my portfolio was 1 of 5 he chose from nearly 100. That's a nice compliment, considering it's not even quite complete yet.

Most righteous, Rob! :-) You deserve to be recognized for your talent and your hard work.

applause with flourishes

Gwyn

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Gwyneth, after I get my first paycheck I'll buy you a drink! :wink:

Some great joints around here:

Barber's Bar
Harlan's Hole
David's Dramshop
Barney's Brewery
Lori's Alehouse
Doug's Distillery
Evil's Pub

...and if you can't handle the booze there's always Frank's Outhouse.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey Rob,
I'll barcrawl with you through Webderland anyday ;-)
We can start off with the single malt scotches and drink our way around
Scotland...
Then we'll both end up puking with Frankie holding our hair back.
Well, at least I will, don't know about you. ;-)

Heya Frankie, you'd hold my hair back if I were puking, eh? Just put a copy of "Atlas Shrugged" on the ground for a target. :-P

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:11 am

That "Frankie" shit alone is gonna make me puke long before I get to my first tanker!

Please leave your pets home when we go out!

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:39 am

LOL (don't tell him we're partying without him though)
but can I bring Jack (my big black dog?) ;-)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:27 am

Harlan's Hole

:shock:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:46 am

Rob, you touch her and you die.

Show some of your art work? I won't believe it till I see it.

-----------------

Gwyn, I'd hold your hair back, among other things.

Whistles.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:47 am

Barber's Jazz Bistro.

Return to “General”