So I'm Strolling Into My Job Today.....

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 am

You work?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 am

I haven't worked in over a year. I miss the routine. I find myself with too little to do.

When I lost my job, I, too, decided to take an extended vacation. I hadn't taken a real vacation in well over a decade. I figured 2 months would be fine. I got bored before 1 month was up.

Nobody is hiring people with my skill level, and I will NOT work as a greeter for Wal-Fart.

Best of luck to you, Duane. Hopefully you'll be back with good news before Halloween.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:54 pm

Duane,

Best of luck finding not only work, but fulfilling work. Sounds like you'll be in a good position to do that soon.

Rob,

Laid off sucks. I hope it's over and you've got a fulfilling job soon as well.

The last time I was out of work, I was denied unemployment. That really sucked. You guys should do okay as far as that's concerned.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 am

May the stars align, guys.

D.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks everyone.

Everyone I've spoken with has told me about linkedin.com; heck, even Experian's HR rep who gave me all my paperwork told me about it, so I will definitely take advantage of it.

10:00 AM on the first day of my new (temporarily) unemployed life. I went jogging this morning and got yelled at by a groundskeeper for crossing over into a section of the neighborhood park where they were reseeding. Boy, that sure didn't suck; us unemployed types sure love getting yelled at by people with jobs.

Speaking of jobs, a lot of people put down big companies as soulless entities to work for. In some ways, that is certainly true. However, it wasn't the whole "soulless" company I lived and worked with on a daily basis. My department was a lot of fun to work in, and whenever I got tired of my surroundings, there were lateral moves, as well as promotions, into other departments. New people, new challenges, and sometimes even more money, while maintaining all my contacts, vacation hours and stellar benefits.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Ohhhhhhh, God.

When I learn humility it's like mine caving in on me.

Went to an interview today I'd been looking forward to all weekend.

He asked me mostly quick, almost irrelevant "gotcha" questions, including a sort of ludicrous hypothetical, "if someone gave you $50,000 right now WHAT would you do with it?"

Now, if the position itself had called for some sort of responsibilities in finance or bookkeeping - some damn thing like that - I'd see the legitimacy here. But it had NOTHING to do with the "important" stuff, like what I could offer in my skills.

Just bullshit. "Throw 'em a curve, let's see him twitch, and the staff can get a laugh as he stumbles out the front door".

I was cool. Collected. I gave him quick answers. But when I get this kind of bullshit I generally write it off and move on. Still, I hate my time being wasted like that. He's prob'ly wansta hire a "broad".

My interview over the weekend with an illustrator working for both Marvel and DC went far better. I'll know for sure by the end of the week if either brings good news.

Until then, I'll have keep holding tight, try to put off my bills for as long as I can, and keep searching.

Dammit.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I thought Marvel was in NY?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:51 pm

You may be a little behind the times - albeit only by a century - but they got this thing called "electronic mail"; oh, and the "Internets". They also got this strange stuff too called "scanners". Why, day even got movin' pictures now.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:10 pm

ahhhhh..

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:41 pm

robo,

i hope you're working next week,and can leave War and Peace for your retirement.

sounds like a soap opera to me

not that it's a bad thing

m

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:24 pm

Cynic,

I have enough soap operas to share that could fill the 700+ square miles of Los Angeles' great sewer system!

You want 'em, I can start right here.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Meanwhile - thanks for the positive note. Let's see what happens by Friday. Otherwise, I better look for a way to rake in some cash till I land more work.

I guess holding up a gas station might be an option; maybe even poetic license.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:56 pm

Duane wrote:Thanks Keith.

A few people I walked out with said they wanted to use the layoff as an opportunity for a six month vacation, with Unemployment picking up the tab. Although that ain't me, I do plan on taking a few weeks to consider which direction I want to go, and maybe a week (or two) to chill before hitting the interview circuit. Maybe even do a hike (or two).

But the last thing I want to do is just "hang out" for six months. Not much good ever comes of that. And eventually, the money does run out....

I'm not too sure where you are Duane, but it's not gonna hurt to take unemployment, it can be a process. Last time I had to apply it took almost a month to get it. And you can always ask them to stop it whenever you choose.

Better safe than sorry.

Just IMHO

Lori

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 am

I agree with Lori, Duane. I happily took the EDD checks and cashed 'em while I was looking. It's a cushion, that's all. You've paid into the system and have every right to take back some of it while you're beating the bushes.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 pm

Oh, I definitely plan on taking Unemployment (already registered, as a matter of fact). I was just talking about a few of the people I walked out with who want to use it as a "six month vacation."

Now give me my MONNAAAAAYYYY!!!

A quickie: are taxes taken out of the weekly checks? If they aren't I'll need to make sure I save a bit of each to cover the April tax bill....

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:49 pm

If they can use EDD checks to take a vacation they must be living in a dumpster.

If they live in a dumpster they DESERVE a vacation.

Look at it this way: it isn't charity. WE didn't pay for their benefits. THEY put into the system. Far as I'm concerned - unlike with welfare - if they want to blow their EDD payments that way it's up to them. Welfare, on the other hand, is a whole different trip. THAT'S where you're supposed to get the incentives by looking for work or getting new training while you're receiving benefits.

Mind you, that doesn't mean I disagree with you there. I use whatever I can get in these crises to cover my ass in the bills and food. I just don't particularly resent people for making the choice that's theirs to make.

And from what I recall EDD payments ARE taxed, but at the end of the year. I don't think they take it right of the checks themselves.

Return to “General”